Tip us?

AdamOutler
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9431

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Nova View Post
Just got my replacement Note 2 (cracked the screen on my original). I got the original a couple weeks ago and used Casual and Odin to root and unlock painlessly. This time it's giving me trouble.

It took a few tries for Casual to actually get my phone into download mode. Finally got it and used Odin to flash the baseline, it said everything went fine. So I proceeded to flash backatcha. It just gets to "NAND Write Start!!" and sits there. I saw someone else had this problem and Adam said to start over. So I did.

I reflashed the baseline and I guess it saw it was flashed because it just kind of skipped it and said "ok". Now I'm back to the backatcha part and it just won't go past "NAND Write Start!!"

I've tried hitting volume down to restart the phone and it just sits there saying "Galaxy Note II".

Help?

EDIT: Currently downloading the stock image from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040264

Hopefully flashing that with Odin will fix everything and I can start over. I just wish there was a faster way.

Aaaaand, it lives! I guess I'll try again. When I first got the phone it was on the VRALJB firmware and I got a notice that there was an OTA update. Should I update to VRALL4 before trying to root/unlock?

Ok, well I did the OTA update. Got everything to go semi-smoothly. Except Casual says if you saw TWRP recovery, everything went well. But I didn't. And when I just tried booting into recovery I basically had download mode. Volume up would let me install custom stuff and volume down would restart the phone.

So do I have to do it all again or what? What am I doing wrong?
You're not running CASUAL. You have to start the process with the device in ADB mode, in the normal OS. Then allow CASUAL to reboot into download mode. It will give you instructions as to what to flash and when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moelov View Post
Guys I really need help I've root my Verizon Wireless Galaxy note 2 with Oden3 vs 307 and root66_VZW_stock_system.tar.md5 via bootloader. That workout just fine I no problems to report. However I trying to unlock the bootloader with Oden3 vs 307 with sch-i605-16gb.pit and BootloaderBaseline2.tar.md5 which failed my computer is a laptop running win 8 / when I try to use casual I keep getting the error message that i'm a Noob. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, how can I correct my errors and fully enjoy my phone with custom roms like you guy... Please Help!
don't flash the pit. you need the specified BAVBaseline.tar.md5.gz. Please read the instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post
I previously had an unlocked bootloader and rooted on I605VRALJB Rom and then flashed the Stock Rooted I605VRALL4 ROM to update. I see this new bootloader unlocker says I have to be stock, probably flash "[ODIN][VRALJB] Restore to Stock" if I need to. I barely saw this thread and I am not sure if need this update maybe not now but for future purposes.

dja2k
Don't do this if you're already unlocked. only if you need to unlock again.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adlerrot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Bricked Verizon note 2 by stopping install in the middle (dumb). Restored to factory using odin. Installed Verizon OTA update vrall4. Used Adam's new exploit for rooting and unlocking (backatchaverizon) and I am now up and running rooted and unlocked with Verizon update. Thanks Adam and all the XDA developers.
Tegards
Adlerrot
PS. It really only works if you follow the instructions!!!!! <grin>

roblikeschocolatecake
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Re: Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13

I'm a little confused, sorry. Is this method to be done before or after updating? I have yet to update and am wanting to get a custom com. Preferably Beans Rom. I was looking into rooting this phone and ended up in this thread.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

gswarriorfan
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I am trying to root my phone using Ubuntu 12.10 livecd since I am on a mac. I installed java and ran the CASUAL .jar file and it errors out. Do I need to install anything besides java to get this to work?

Dentabyte
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default verizon note 2 ota update fails

I previously followed your bootloader unlock instructions and got my phone rooted and the bootloader unlocked. I saw in the forum that you can now unlock the bootloader even with the update. However when I try to run the Verizon update it says update failed. Please advise. Thanks

princehtml
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default HA! The irony

Thank you XDA for the posts. I avoided that Verizon updates for almost a month. Somehow it went through. Right after downloading ClockworkMod Recovery, BAM! Bricked! And, then I see this article a hour or two later. The irony! HA!

larry_thagr81
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentabyte View Post
I previously followed your bootloader unlock instructions and got my phone rooted and the bootloader unlocked. I saw in the forum that you can now unlock the bootloader even with the update. However when I try to run the Verizon update it says update failed. Please advise. Thanks
After the update, the old method of rooting and unlocking the boot loader was no longer valid. So all the OP is saying is that if you've accepted and installed the update, the new method for rooting and unlocking the boot loader will work with the most recent firmware update.

Why would you want to accept the update? It will unroot and relock you boot loader.

E30Nova
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
You're not running CASUAL. You have to start the process with the device in ADB mode, in the normal OS. Then allow CASUAL to reboot into download mode. It will give you instructions as to what to flash and when.
I think I was just rushing through it. With the old version of CASUAL and the VRALJB firmware, it pretty much told you when to use Odin. With this latest CASUAL, there's always a little error/notification window that pops up, covering the main window. So I basically went slow as molasses and every time that little notification popped up, I dragged it out of the way to see what the main CASUAL window said. Then I was able to see that it wanted me to go to Odin and flash the baseline, so I did that and waited for Odin to say it passed, then went back to CASUAL and hit continue. Did the same thing for backatcha and it worked this time.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblikeschocolatecake View Post
I'm a little confused, sorry. Is this method to be done before or after updating? I have yet to update and am wanting to get a custom com. Preferably Beans Rom. I was looking into rooting this phone and ended up in this thread.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
After. I had problems trying to do it before accepting the OTA. Go ahead and do the update and then do this. Do what I said above and take it slow. If you go too fast, I think CASUAL doesn't register that you're doing the steps in the right order or something. I'm currently on Beans 7.
Evo 4G - retired
Galaxy Note 2 - gone
HTC One (M8) - current daily driver

Dentabyte
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default verizon note 2 ota update fails

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_thagr81 View Post
After the update, the old method of rooting and unlocking the boot loader was no longer valid. So all the OP is saying is that if you've accepted and installed the update, the new method for rooting and unlocking the boot loader will work with the most recent firmware update.

Why would you want to accept the update? It will unroot and relock you boot loader.
I thought if a new bootloader unlock was available I would take the update. The reason is that Verizon may write the new Jelly Bean update to look for this update. Just thought I'd cover my bases.

Acery
Old
(Last edited by Acery; 30th January 2013 at 08:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
I thought if a new bootloader unlock was available I would take the update. The reason is that Verizon may write the new Jelly Bean update to look for this update. Just thought I'd cover my bases.
If a new JB update hits, I'm sure we'll have access to it before Verizon actually pushes it.