Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,841 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discussion] Working OTG Devices

Tip us?

iytrix
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nFiniti View Post
Ebay, Amazon (great place for cables)

https://www.google.com/search?q=OTG+...w=1920&bih=965

Just a quick search. You can also make one, if space is an issue. You just need a MicroUSB and a female USB. Pin 5 gets soldered to pin 4 on the MicroUSB and bam! Making one would help with space issues since you can tuck the wires easier. If you are good at soldering.
Is an OTG cable special or just F-USB and M-MicoUSB?

If it's just those, then I can go poke around Frys and Radioshack for one.

I don't know anything about soldering, how much is a good kit to get started? I think a friend of mine has one and knows how to use it, so I can ask him, but I realize it's something I should learn especially with the hardware mods I would love to do. If I can't find a cable in stores, or if it's special (I ask that because most employees at frys and whatnot aren't very helpful or knowledgable, so I don't want them giving me something that won't work, but if it's just those ends I'm looking for, I can do that) then I may just look into soldering my own and learning that. I see they're around $50 online but I don't want to screw myself over there.

nFiniti
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Re: [Discussion] Working OTG Devices

You can chose a decent soldering iron anywhere from 15 to like 80 bucks. I recently saw some nice ones with adjustable power levels for good price. And tons of different tips. My brother Skorpn has the more expensive one that heats up fast and has adjustable power settings to fit any projects needs. Hr has a nice soldering station I wish I could use more. I however just have a cheap harbor freight iron with a fine tip from radio shack and I use the thinnest silver solder avail there as well. Flux is also a must.

Anyway. Otg mode is accomplished on the micro USB side. They have 5 pins instead of 4. The 5th is used for doing all sorts of things with the right add one tho. If you solder in a small wire to it and jump it to pin 4 which is ground, it turns on otg. Not really hard to do. You can make one decently. Just need a good micro USB cable and a female normal USB cable. Solder them together and then do the otg modifications.

Other than doing it yourself, they are very cheap. But if you have the spare cables, it doesn't hurt to play around.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda app-developers app

chris_m128
Old
Thanks Meter 31

I've got my USB mouse to work using otg cable, is there any chance using it could damage my kindle, this Mount app I use says it can damage the kindle because of the power output

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2
Alien Droid KF2 4.2.2
LG G2 Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Stock

nFiniti
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I don't know what ap your talking about. But no. The Kindle Fire 2 only puts out half the voltage when in OTG Mode. So only certain things will work without additional power. Your mouse will work just fine, especially if its a wireless mouse, since the wireless device doesn't require hardly any power. Some other devices will work too. You don't need a mount app for using devices, only for Flash Drives. And so far out of every one I've used the best one is Chainfire's StickMount. Chainfire is the creator of Superuser.

Anyways, I'm not using a 2a charger to power my USB OTG Hub, and it powers all 4 devices and charges the device with ease. Cannot wait to have this thing installed.

facelessloser
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Storage OTG testing

After reading this thread I thought I would have a go and do some testing myself. so I found a USB y cable teamed that with a female to female USB adaptor so it would extend my OTG cable but allow me to pipe in some power (5v off a arduino) off the y cable. I have got my mouse working and USB flash drive but I cant get my Xbox 360 wired controller to work

nFiniti
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessloser View Post
After reading this thread I thought I would have a go and do some testing myself. so I found a USB y cable teamed that with a female to female USB adaptor so it would extend my OTG cable but allow me to pipe in some power (5v off a arduino) off the y cable. I have got my mouse working and USB flash drive but I cant get my Xbox 360 wired controller to work
You know the amperage of the power source you are using? It might just be not enough power. Because the device itself will take from it also. Its pretty much splitting it. Which is why I went with a legit Galaxy Tab 2a charger since its one of the most powerful chargers I've come across. I hope it works. Since bluetooth doesn't work on the OTG yet, I need the 360 controller to work. I will be trying a wireless controller and one of those Microsoft adapters soon. Hopefully it works! I'd love to play some video games in the car

facelessloser
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nFiniti View Post
You know the amperage of the power source you are using? It might just be not enough power. Because the device itself will take from it also. Its pretty much splitting it. Which is why I went with a legit Galaxy Tab 2a charger since its one of the most powerful chargers I've come across. I hope it works. Since bluetooth doesn't work on the OTG yet, I need the 360 controller to work. I will be trying a wireless controller and one of those Microsoft adapters soon. Hopefully it works! I'd love to play some video games in the car
You have a good point there, I haven't tested the amperage that comes out of a arduino but I don't think it would be much. I could try and hock up a iPad charger which I think is 2amp.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessloser View Post
You have a good point there, I haven't tested the amperage that comes out of a arduino but I don't think it would be much. I could try and hock up a iPad charger which I think is 2amp.
I have just tested the Xbox 360 controller being powered from a iPad charging plug and now joy. It lights up but then goes off

agentfusion
Old
Thanks Meter 91

I'm making my own otg cable tonight if the spare usb cable I found works for data and not just charging. Basically I have a female usb port on a cable that I used to splice in with an original Xbox controller plug to be able to use usb sticks as memory cards for my Xbox to be able to install gentoo Linux on my Xbox (original Xbox controllers are usb 1.0 with a proprietary plug type) so I know the female port works fine for data transfers.

Eventually I'll buy some plugs to solder onto both the usb and Xbox cables so I can yank the female plug from the otg cable and snap it right onto the Xbox plug instead of having to constantly re-splice them or buy a new usb extension cable for the female end/buy a pre made otg cable.

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Oh yeah, the point to my post was that I have three usb hubs, two powered one not, and a ton of stuff to test with my kf2 like a billion usb keyboards, mice, storage devices, and the one I REALLY want to get working, my afterglow Xbox 360 controller for minecraft pocket edition

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app
Motorola StarTac->Panasonic GD30->Motorola C116->Sony Ericsson Z310->HTC Wizard->Samsung Blackjack->BlackBerry Curve 8310->BlackBerry Bold 9000->HTC Kaiser->Samsung Blackjack 2->HTC Dream->HTC Rhodium->HTC Aria->Samsung Captivate->iPhone 3GS->HTC Vivid->SGS3-> LG G2
Over 20 years of Cellphones, and I found a way to modify every single one!
LG G2
ROM: d3rp-g2 bareback m1
Carrier: Sprint
Amazon Kindle Fire 2
ROM: CM11
The Following User Says Thank You to agentfusion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

avathor
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Support any KF2 ROM Bluetooth Dongles ? (to use BT headset)

nFiniti
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by avathor View Post
Support any KF2 ROM Bluetooth Dongles ? (to use BT headset)
IDK how thats going. I don't think anyone is working on it since the KF2 doesn't have bluetooth to begin with. When I connect my cheapo BT Dongle, it doesn't allow me to turn the switch to on. However it does see the BT Dongle and thinks its a keyboard of some sort. Which would be nice because I have a really nice BT Keyboard for Android I wanna use.

Also would be nice to use PS3 Controllers. I'm going to attempt the wireless 360 controller with the adapter one of these days, whenever I can focus some cash in that direction. I really want a wireless 360 controller on my KF2 so I can play some of the higher end games as well as the older Emulated games. Just think its too cool