Remote Desktop of your Raspberry Pi

Search This thread

marty331

Jun 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
So you have that new Raspberry Pi all set up with Raspbian and you to use it you have to connect a keyboard and mouse. Maybe you share this keyboard and mouse with another computer (like me) or maybe you have the Raspberry Pi hidden in a console (again, like me) and it's difficult to plug in your devices.

OK, here is a solution so simple it is unreal.

Plug in that keyboard and mouse for the last time OR SSH to your Raspberry Pi (you do have SSH set up right?), open the terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install xrdp

If you did not SSH in then you will need to run this command also to get the ip address of the Raspberry Pi:
ifconfig eth0
Note the IP address.

For LInux:
Install the following:
sudo apt-get install rdesktop

then run
rdesktop (IP address of your Raspberry Pi)

then at the Login to xrdp:
User name of your Raspberry Pi
Password of your Raspberry Pi
Profit!

Non-Linux:

windoze-
start remote desktop and enter IP address then follow Login to xrdp steps above.
fruit systems-
try installing this: http://cord.sourceforge.net/ and then connect to the Raspberry Pi as above.

Last edited:

DragosP2010

Jul 12, 2010
Braila
For X Window apps, the best way to run is ’ssh -X pi@pi_IP’.
Of course we need an X server running, but I’m a linux user.

You just solved a bit problem for me

Actually two.
1. As I do not have a TV or monitor with HDMI input, I had to use this converter for VGA and the display is crappy. The very first thing I do on such RPi is enabling SSH. But from now on, all I have is SSH. I now have much better to work and mnage my RPi's. COOL !!!!!

2. I was also having an issue with my virtual servers, one of which hosts an install of the Android development tools. So far, I was using NX to connect, but since some version of Ubuntu, I could not start an Android VM remotely. Some missing modules, or configuration. I hated this. I was using NX for a long time now. This xrdp seems to work fine. I installed it on a test machine with Android SDK stuff, and voila !! I can start the virtual Android machine no problem.

Great info !!!!!!!

metaled222

Oct 6, 2012
So you have that new Raspberry Pi all set up with Raspbian and you to use it you have to connect a keyboard and mouse. Maybe you share this keyboard and mouse with another computer (like me) or maybe you have the Raspberry Pi hidden in a console (again, like me) and it's difficult to plug in your devices.

I have a similar problem, except that I share my monitor with my son and his Raspberry Pi. Both of us are building and programming different robots using the RPi and arduino controllers. So I get very little time at the actual keyboard. I did something similar except I am using tightvnc on the RPI and then Remote Ripple on my Nexus 10 and Kyocera phone and then tightvnc java viewer on my windows laptop (if I ever use it, mostly just a cloud print server) . The Nexus 10 being the main computer I use along with my RPi. Full GUI of my RPi Xwindow or SSH shell account on the RPI. (if you can do it on the RPi, you can do it on your nexus! (except remote raspicam/raspivideo.. not yet available.. it will be though!)).
Several different ways to do this, to each their own... but I wanted my N10 client to be made by the same developer as the VNC server. Tightvnc has a large following, so that is good. I did have to pay $5 for the Android version Remote Ripple (tightvnc android client). But I don't mind supporting the authors of quality software (not forced too.. hear that MS!)
you do feel a lag from being on a wireless network, but it is nice being able to log it anytime from anywhere (not just home wifi, I can also use my PI over the internet!)

Reactions: marty331

marty331

Jun 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have a similar problem, except that I share my monitor with my son and his Raspberry Pi. Both of us are building and programming different robots using the RPi and arduino controllers. So I get very little time at the actual keyboard. I did something similar except I am using tightvnc on the RPI and then Remote Ripple on my Nexus 10 and Kyocera phone and then tightvnc java viewer on my windows laptop (if I ever use it, mostly just a cloud print server) . The Nexus 10 being the main computer I use along with my RPi. Full GUI of my RPi Xwindow or SSH shell account on the RPI. (if you can do it on the RPi, you can do it on your nexus! (except remote raspicam/raspivideo.. not yet available.. it will be though!)).
Several different ways to do this, to each their own... but I wanted my N10 client to be made by the same developer as the VNC server. Tightvnc has a large following, so that is good. I did have to pay $5 for the Android version Remote Ripple (tightvnc android client). But I don't mind supporting the authors of quality software (not forced too.. hear that MS!)
you do feel a lag from being on a wireless network, but it is nice being able to log it anytime from anywhere (not just home wifi, I can also use my PI over the internet!)

metaled222,
Looks like youv'e done your homework! Great job on getting all that together!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Plug in that keyboard and mouse for the last time OR SSH to your Raspberry Pi (you do have SSH set up right?), open the terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install xrdp

If you did not SSH in then you will need to run this command also to get the ip address of the Raspberry Pi:
    ifconfig eth0
    Note the IP address.

For LInux:
    Install the following:
    sudo apt-get install rdesktop

then run
    rdesktop (IP address of your Raspberry Pi)

then at the Login to xrdp:
    User name of your Raspberry Pi
    Password of your Raspberry Pi
    Profit!

Non-Linux:

windoze-
    start remote desktop and enter IP address then follow Login to xrdp steps above.
    fruit systems-
    try installing this: http://cord.sourceforge.net/ and then connect to the Raspberry Pi as above.