5,593,401 Members 36,555 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dead kindle after installing TWRP

Tip us?
 
keepitlow13
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default [Q] Dead kindle after installing TWRP

hello everyone..i just rooted my kindle fire (non HD) everything went smooth and i was having trouble installing TWRP. i search and found a way of installing it manually since kindle fire utility wasn't letting me install it there. well i followed the steps and after i finished the device rebooted and never turn on again. i have pressed the power button down for minutes and minutes and there is no sign of life on that kindle.

is it bricked? can someone point me towards the right direction if they been through this. apologies if someone else have asked the same question but i have done my research and didn't find that same problem i have.
 
plinders
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eindhoven
Having the same problem here. Exactly the same. Got a fastboot cable but that's not really helping.
 
fmkilo
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 187
Posts: 288
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mount Vernon, IA,USA

 
DONATE TO ME
1. What version was your kindle fire? KF1 or KF2? (easy way to tell i'm told is that the kf1 came in a brown box and the kf2 came in a black one.)
2. How did you root?
3. How did you install TWRP?
4. What OS are you running on your computer?
5. ???
FMKilo @ forum.xda-developers
freenode irc #kf2-dev
 
plinders
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eindhoven
Quoting from a thread I made about the issue

Quote:
Right, I've received a Kindle Fire 2 for Christmas as a gift from the US (I live in The Netherlands), and by accident I managed to wreck it.

It worked perfectly for a while, but I hate the Amazon fork of Android, so I looked into getting Jelly Bean on it. I successfully rooted my device on 10.2.4, installed the Play Store, and then I decided I wanted more. I found a guide to flashing FFF + TWRP for Kindle Fire, unknowingly I didn't realize that that guide was for the original Kindle Fire, and _not_ for the Kindle Fire 2. This resulted in me messing up the partition layout of my KF2.

It doesn't turn on anymore, no matter how long I keep the power button pressed, the screen won't turn on and the power button doesn't light up either. Hooking it up to my computer running Windows 7 doesn't help either, adb can't find it, neither can fastboot. I bought a factory cable from SkOrPn to try to fix it, hooked it up to my computer again, still no response. Might be a driver issue on Windows though. I tried an Ubuntu live-cd with FireKit, and tried to boot my Kindle into fastboot, with the cable, no result.

I tried contacting Amazon myself, but they don't have a call centre over here, so I can't call for a replacement. I had a conversation with an Amazon employee in the US who told me I have to give the address of the person who gifted it to me, so they can ship a free replacement there. That would mean that person would have to ship it themselves my way, and that's not something I'd like to happen.

Basically, I'd like to solve it myself, but I'm unsure how to do that. Help?
 
fmkilo
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 187
Posts: 288
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mount Vernon, IA,USA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinders View Post
Quoting from a thread I made about the issue
That sounds like company policy... and I think that means that you're sol... I'm sorry.
FMKilo @ forum.xda-developers
freenode irc #kf2-dev
 
plinders
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkilo View Post
That sounds like company policy... and I think that means that you're sol... I'm sorry.
Nah, I thought I was a more elegant solution than just copy pasting the thread URL here, haha.
Figured as much, oh well. **** happens I guess.
 
fmkilo
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 187
Posts: 288
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mount Vernon, IA,USA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinders View Post
Nah, I thought I was a more elegant solution than just copy pasting the thread URL here, haha.
Figured as much, oh well. **** happens I guess.
With the number of times I've bricked mine, I'm glad they offer free replacements...
FMKilo @ forum.xda-developers
freenode irc #kf2-dev
 
plinders
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eindhoven
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkilo View Post
With the number of times I've bricked mine, I'm glad they offer free replacements...
Yeah I know. As I've said earlier (in that quoted piece of text), I contacted Amazon, but they said I can get a replacement shipped to the person who gifted it to me in the US (over here in The Netherlands we don't have Amazon, and therefore no helpdesk lines), meaning the device would have to be shipped from there to here. And I don't want to put that person in that situation to be honest.
 
fmkilo
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 187
Posts: 288
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mount Vernon, IA,USA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinders View Post
Yeah I know. As I've said earlier (in that quoted piece of text), I contacted Amazon, but they said I can get a replacement shipped to the person who gifted it to me in the US (over here in The Netherlands we don't have Amazon, and therefore no helpdesk lines), meaning the device would have to be shipped from there to here. And I don't want to put that person in that situation to be honest.
yeah...
FMKilo @ forum.xda-developers
freenode irc #kf2-dev
 
keepitlow13
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkilo View Post
1. What version was your kindle fire? KF1 or KF2? (easy way to tell i'm told is that the kf1 came in a brown box and the kf2 came in a black one.)
2. How did you root?
3. How did you install TWRP?
4. What OS are you running on your computer?
5. ???
Hello there..

1. i have KF2
2.i rooted with this guide..http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2075959
3.installed TWRP with this guide...http://liliputing.com/2011/12/how-to...-firmware.html
4.Win 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...