5,597,762 Members 36,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] [AOSP] [GCC4.8] ThunderKat | Nexus 10 | 4.4.2 | KOT49H | 2014/01/10

Tip us?

craigacgomez
Old
(Last edited by craigacgomez; 14th January 2014 at 03:14 AM.) Reason: new release
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2458

DONATE TO ME
Tablet [ROM] [AOSP] [GCC4.8] ThunderKat | Nexus 10 | 4.4.2 | KOT49H | 2014/01/10

Donning a new name in favour of the new delicious version of Android... Welcome to the ThunderKat Project!!

This is my very own personally maintained custom ROM for the Nexus 10 (manta) called ThunderKat. It is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 4.4 ROM with a simple aim... add a few useful features to AOSP without deviating too much.

This new Android 4.4 based release is a complete re-work... I manually re-merged and re-developed each additional functionality added to this ROM. Each new release will feature a few new features or updates & bug fixes to existing features. Keeping each release small will allow me to test the ROM thoroughly and increase the frequency of releases.

I don't expect this to compete with the big boys (CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android and the like) and this ROM will have a considerably limited feature-set compared to them. If you want a lot of customisations and configurations, they are definitely the way to go.

This ROM is accompanied by the latest & greatest ThunderKat Kernel at the time the ROM was built. For kernel features and additions, view the ThunderKat Kernel thread.

Changelog (notable new features):
2014/01/10:
1. Re-synced repositories (2014/01/10 - 04:30PM PST)
2. Fixed ART runtime on GCC-4.8 builds (credit SlimRoms)
3. Fixed Google Play backup-restore on Android 4.4+
4. Updated Quick Settings location tile drawables to reflect the current location mode (credit SlimRoms for drawables)
5. Enabled DessertCake dream
6. Fixed wallpaper reset when restarting SystemUI
7. Improved AppOps layout (credit CyanogenMod)
8. Removed option to move navigation bar buttons for phones
9. Added back option to switch to ART runtime in Settings > Developer options
10. Added detailed warning message when switching to ART runtime
11. Allow user to trigger volume media rescan (only for internal emulated volumes, primary volumes & non-removable volumes) from Settings > Storage (credit SlimRoms)
12. Updated to libflac from AOSP master to fix pop & crackle when playing FLAC audio files
13. Use fixed bootanimation from @dankoman which does the full 360-degree rotation properly

2013/12/27:
1. Bugfix: Properly update the state of the Expanded Desktop, Sync & Ringer Mode Quick Settings tiles when changes are triggered elsewhere

2013/12/26:
1. Re-synced repositories (2013/12/26 - 06:40PM PST)
2. Added Expanded Desktop Quick Settings tile. Press to toggle. Long-press for Display Settings
3. Added Sync Quick Settings tile. Press to toggle. Long-press for Sync Settings
4. Added Ringer Mode Quick Settings tile. Press to toggle between Normal, Vibrate & Silent ringer modes. Long-press for Sound Settings
5. Added back button long-press foreground app kill (configure via Settings > Developer options)
6. Added ability to set a user-defined hostname (configure via Settings > Developer options)
7. Added screen-off volume rocker wake (configure via Settings > Display)
8. Added screen-off volume rocker long-press music controls (configure via Settings > Sound)
9. Added safe headset volume toggle (configure via Settings > Sound)
10. Added lockscreen quick unlock for pin and password security options (configure via Settings > Security)
11. Updated Settings application Android drawables to match the new KitKat style guidelines (credit SlimRoms)
12. Miscellaneous bug-fixes and enhancements

2013/12/15:
1. Re-based to AOSP Android 4.4.2_r1 (KOT49H)
2. Miscellaneous code cleanup
3. Various fixes for the Exchange security policy bypass
4. Updated ThunderKat kernel which includes 4.4.1/4.4.2 AOSP kernel updates
5. Add support for exec command with support for properties expansion in init scripts

2013/12/01:
1. Re-synced repositories (2013/11/01 - 03:00AM PST)
2. Added QuietHours (configure via Settings > Sounds)
3. Categorised Settings > Display screen
4. Added option to enabled battery percent meter in Settings > Display
5. Added potential external storage access permissions
6. Fixed Settings application locale issues
7. Enabled root access by default
8. Disabled ability to change to ART runtime via Developer Settings temporarily
9. Added system-wide expanded desktop using the new immersive mode feature (credit SlimRoms & CyanogenMod)
10. Changed Settings > Apps to go to Application Settings instead of directly going to Manage Applications
11. Enabled App Ops (configure via Settings > Apps)
12. Enabled keyboard Quick Launch configurations (configure via Settings > Apps)
13. Disabled lock/unlock sounds during music playback
14. Added miscellaneous bug fixes including updated Superuser & CyanogenMod applications

2013/11/21:
1. Based on AOSP Android 4.4_r1.2 (KRT16S) source
2. Built using Google GCC 4.8 toolchain
3. Added LockClock (cLock), CMFileManager & Calculator from CyanogenMod
4. Replaced AOSP bionic with bionic from CyanogenMod
5. Added busybox, fuse, ntfs-3g, e2fsprogs & vold from CyanogenMod
6. Added embedded Superuser from Koush
7. Added USB OTG read/write support with dismissable notifications for non-primary volumes
8. Added fixes for GCC 4.8+ toolchains
9. Added various build build optimisation including Cortex-A15 optimisations & O3
10. Enabled secure boot and secure adb
11. Enabled Google Location Services
12. Added miscellaneous build tweaks, additions & removals
13. Added Navigation bar positioning (default/centre, left or right) via Settings -> Display
14. Added Recent Apps clear all functionality with long-press action to drop VM caches
15. Inverted press/long-press actions of Wifi, Bluetooth & Location tiles
16. Modified Location tile to switch between the different location modes (Off/Sensors Only/Battery Saving/High Accuracy) on press
17. Updated several Android drawables to match the new KitKat style guidelines (credit SlimRoms)
18. Updated bluetooth AVRCP to use ARTIST metadata, and use ALBUMARTIST metadata only if ARTIST is not present
19. Updated the Bluetooth application to remove file format transfer restriction, and to use the Download directory to save received files
20. Enabled SELinux status information under Settings -> About
21. Enabled translucent window decoration (status bar & navigation bar)
22. Updated device overlays
23. Disabled headset safe volume restriction
24. Added init.d support
25. Added advanced power menu (when screen is unlocked)
26. Included new Launcher3
27. Included the latest proprietary files, binaries and drivers provided by Google
28. Added the official Nexus 10 KitKat bootanimation
29. Included 48KHz ringtones, notifications, ui sounds and alarms
30. Added ThunderKat kernel dated 2013/11/21

Download:
ThunderKat_manta-KOT49H-20140110 (Goo.im)
ThunderKat_manta-KOT49H-20140110 (AndroidFileHost)

Archive (4.4.x)
Archive (4.3.x)
Archive (4.2.x)

Google Apps Pack:
1. Built from de-odexed 4.4.2 KOT49H Nexus factory image
2. Latest Play Store apps as of 2014/01/10
3. Includes Google Home (from the Nexus 5) & emoji-enabled Google Keyboard
4. Removed Photosphere Camera, Chromecast and Android Device Manager applications and cleaned up several remnant library files

Download:
GoogleAppsPack-4.4.2-20140110 (Goo.im)
GoogleAppsPack-4.4.2-20140110 (AndroidFileHost)

Google Photosphere Camera Addon:
1. Built from de-odexed 4.4.2 KOT49H Nexus factory image
2. Includes proprietary Google Photosphere Camera app and Gallary app with Picasa sync

Download:
PhotosphereCameraAddon-Nexus10-4.4.2 (Goo.im)
PhotosphereCameraAddon-Nexus10-4.4.2 (AndroidFileHost)

Know Issues:
1. NTFS OTG auto-mount via vold is broken

Source:
GitHub
Manifest

Tips & Tricks
Launcher replacements enhance your customisation capabilities. I recommend one of these amazing launcher replacement:
1. Action Launcher Pro by Chris Lacy
2. Apex Launcher by Android Does
3. Nova Launcher by TeslaCoil Software

Adware is often intrusive. If you wish to block adware and advertisements, I recommend AdAway by Dominik Schürmann.

Need to know what app or service is eating your battery? Try BetterBatteryStats by Sven Knispel

You can get some more modifications and tweaks using the Xposed Framework and modules

Requirements:
1. Unlocked bootloader
2. Custom recovery like TWRP 2.6.3.1+ or CWM 6.0.4.3+

Instructions:
1. Wipe data/factory reset if you are moving from another ROM (including Flaming Monkey 4.3)
2. Wipe cache/dalvik cache for every update
3. Flash the ROM using a custom recovery
4. [Optional] Flash Google Apps Pack using a custom recovery. You can choose to install any other Android 4.4 compliant Google Apps Pack

Disclaimer:
I can make no guarantees that your experience with this ROM will be flawless. If you decide to flash this ROM, remember that you are doing so at your own discretion. I cannot and will not be held responsible if your jelly beans become rotten and your tablet decides implode. I will try to help you to the best of my ability, but beyond that, you stand alone behind enemy lines!! Have fun!!

ART Runtime Disclaimer:
ART is an the new Android Runtime which is being developed as a replacement to Dalvik. ART was introduced with Android 4.4 and is still an experimental feature. To switch to ART, go to Settings > Developer options > Select runtime and choose Use ART. Unlike Dalvik which is a JIT (just-in-time) compiler, ART is an AOT (ahead-of-time) compiler. Being an AOT compiler, ART will improve overall performance, but will increase the amount of space used by apps. Being an extremely experimental feature still in the early stages of development, ART can cause various issues like force closes, random restarts, boot loops or the like. While I have done some level to testing, I cannot guarantee that using ART will be a flawless experience for you. And be warned, I will not support any issues caused because of ART. I do not recommend using ART if stability and overall operational consistency is a requirement for you, or if you do not have experience with adb. If you wish to use ART, remember that you will not receive support from me. If you have any issues, please switch back to Dalvik and see if you still have the issue before reporting it.

Superuser vs. SuperSU
I have no personal issues with ChainsDD, and I appreciate and respect his contributions to Android. But I will never include SuperSU with any of my ROMs for one simple reason. SuperSU is closed-source. Superuser access allows unrestricted root level access to Android and I am not comfortable, nor do I ethically agree with using a closed-source software for this purpose. If I cannot see all the code which allows elevating access rights, I will not include that software. If you personally choose to use SuperSU or any other closed-source software of this nature, I will not support issues arising from the use of such software.

Having Issues?
If you are having issues, I will try my best to help you. But you need to provide me with some information so that I can narrow down the possible cause of the issue. What would be useful is logcats, dmesg logs & last_kmsg logs. Here's a nice wiki about how to get logs

Support this project:
If you like my work, buy me a beer so that I can pass time while my laptop churns out builds...
Paypal
Google Wallet (Send Money to craigacgomez[at]gmail[dot]com)

Credits:
Google, Samsung, ARM, Goo.im, CyanogenMod, TeamWin, Koush, SlimRoms, AndroidFileHost

CRAiG GoMEZ

Donate to me

Google LGE Nexus 5 [D820] | SlimKat (Android 4.4.2) - SlimRoms
Google Samsung Nexus 10 [GT-P8110HAEXAR] ThunderKat (Android 4.4.2) - craigacgomez
The Following 129 Users Say Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

renzyyy
Old
Thanks Meter 14
ive been lookin everywhere for some gapps that work with this device haha, thanks!

Turbo4V
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Great to see you in here Craig! Loved the Roms you did for the transformer. Guess its time to go install a custom recovery and try this out!

momulah
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I am rooted and my bootloader is unlocked. I made a mistake and formatted my system img. Is it possible to flash this via adb?
'Seek and You'll Find'
Samsung Galaxy SkyRocket
Paranoid-JB Beta2
Samsung Captivate
Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 Rom
HTC Fuze- Energy Rom 3.0 - Sold
AT&T Tilt2- Aug 18 NRG 23678 GTX
Radio: Brightstar
Overclocked @ 650 Mhz

darkuni
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Any word on getting OTG/CIFS working?

Also, the "DRM Libraries" .. these, I assume - allow things like Play Movies and Hulu Plus to work? I'm actually interested in TRADING OFF those features with the ability to get HDMI out without protection on the signal. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for the hard work already!

craigacgomez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by momulah View Post
I am rooted and my bootloader is unlocked. I made a mistake and formatted my system img. Is it possible to flash this via adb?
Reboot into TWRP recovery, use adb to push it to /sdcard and flash it... it will work even if your system partition is formatted!

CRAiG GoMEZ

Donate to me

Google Samsung Nexus 10 [GT-P8110HAEXAR] ThunderKat (Android 4.4.2) - craigacgomez
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

momulah
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigacgomez View Post
Reboot into TWRP recovery, use adb to push it to /sdcard and flash it... it will work even if your system partition is formatted!
what is the adb command to push it to my sd card? I just finished the download!!
'Seek and You'll Find'
Samsung Galaxy SkyRocket
Paranoid-JB Beta2
Samsung Captivate
Overclocked @ 650 Mhz

craigacgomez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by momulah View Post
what is the adb command to push it to my sd card? I just finished the download!!
adb push rom.zip /sdcard/
or
adb push rom.zip /data/media/0/

CRAiG GoMEZ

Donate to me

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

craigacgomez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkuni View Post
Any word on getting OTG/CIFS working?

Also, the "DRM Libraries" .. these, I assume - allow things like Play Movies and Hulu Plus to work? I'm actually interested in TRADING OFF those features with the ability to get HDMI out without protection on the signal. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for the hard work already!
The DRM libs are for Hulu & apps which use the Widevine DRM... Are you referring to HDCP? I'm not sure if this affects that... I haven't done any much HDMI related stuff with Android yet, but I'll check it out...

I will work on OTG and CIFS soon!!

CRAiG GoMEZ

Donate to me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigacgomez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

momulah
Old
(Last edited by momulah; 20th November 2012 at 02:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigacgomez View Post
The DRM libs are for Hulu & apps which use the Widevine DRM... Are you referring to HDCP? I'm not sure if this affects that... I haven't done any much HDMI related stuff with Android yet, but I'll check it out...

I will work on OTG and CIFS soon!!
Thanks man I pushed the rom to my sd card and was able to flash it. Now Is there anything that doesn't not work that works in the stock rom?

May'be its his new kernel! Anyone try gong back to his stock kernel to see if it brings usb back.
'Seek and You'll Find'
Samsung Galaxy SkyRocket
Paranoid-JB Beta2
Samsung Captivate
Overclocked @ 650 Mhz

Tags
4.4, aosp, kitkat, manta, nexus 10