Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Galaxy Ace GT-S5830i Flashing a stock firmware question/help!

OP DrewKrew

28th January 2013, 04:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Hello guys. Yes i'm a noob and i have tried desperately to find the info out myself but i'm getting myself SO confused, i hope someone can help me out a bit and clarify a few things for me.

I have a SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i which is a United Kingdom model phone unlocked to all networks but it was getting very worn and tatty so i went out this morning and purchased a brand new SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i phone (identical model) however this one came supplied as locked to the o2 network and is o2 branded on all the startup/shutdown screens.
I figured i could simply re-flash a stock firmware to it to lose all of the o2 branding and return it to the standard Samsung startup/shutdown screens (and possibly unlock the phone to all networks during the process but i'm not that bothered about doing that as it doesn't really matter to me)

On the handsets I have gone into SETTINGS> ABOUT PHONE> and the details are as follows:

Model Number: GT-S5830i
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: S5830iXXLK1
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7 dpi@DELL202 #1
Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXLK3

...and these details are the same for both the old phone and the new o2 branded one.

Now then, here's where i'm at: when i do things i'm not only doing them to get to the 'end goal' but also to learn and educate myself along the way, but so much of the information out there assumes that you already know what they are talking about or is just too confusing as it doesn't explain enough. I have gotten myself very confused lol.

I want to be able to 'de-brand' the new phone so that it is just like the old one, and to do that i'd like to understand what i am doing a bit more, like the baseband version and build number (XXLK1 and XXLK3 are bpth quoted in the 'About Phone' menu) and i don't understand what file i should be downloading as all i can find is labelled as GT-S5830iXXLK3 so would this be the correct firmware for my handsets as i thought they were listed by Baseband (which is XXLK1 not XXLK3 but the bit in the phone's build number says XXLK3 even though the actual phone's Baseband says XXLK1) can you see why i am confused? lol!
I'd like to be as sure as i can be prior to flashing so i don't make any silly mistakes.

I have:
KIES software,
USB Drivers (i think)
ODIN v3.07 software,
Standard Samsung supplied USB cable,
Windows 7 32bit.

Can anyone help me to understand why the firmware sets are in several split files and help confirm which firmware i do actually need for the baseband type of my two handsets.
I'm also intending to make a backup of each phone prior to flashing so i hopefully do not brick any devices. Maybe i could even read the firmware of one phone and flash to the other? Perhaps i'll just stick to finding a suitable stock firmware and keep it simple

Any help, information, education is all appreciated, and i hope as a noob to the forum i haven't breached any set rules with this post (i don't think i have but you never know!)

Kindest regards,
Drew
United Kingdom.
28th January 2013, 05:32 PM   |  #2  
SemBoyHehe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
459 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKrew

Hello guys. Yes i'm a noob and i have tried desperately to find the info out myself but i'm getting myself SO confused, i hope someone can help me out a bit and clarify a few things for me.

I have a SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i which is a United Kingdom model phone unlocked to all networks but it was getting very worn and tatty so i went out this morning and purchased a brand new SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i phone (identical model) however this one came supplied as locked to the o2 network and is o2 branded on all the startup/shutdown screens.
I figured i could simply re-flash a stock firmware to it to lose all of the o2 branding and return it to the standard Samsung startup/shutdown screens (and possibly unlock the phone to all networks during the process but i'm not that bothered about doing that as it doesn't really matter to me)

On the handsets I have gone into SETTINGS> ABOUT PHONE> and the details are as follows:

Model Number: GT-S5830i
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: S5830iXXLK1
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7 dpi@DELL202 #1
Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXLK3

...and these details are the same for both the old phone and the new o2 branded one.

Now then, here's where i'm at: when i do things i'm not only doing them to get to the 'end goal' but also to learn and educate myself along the way, but so much of the information out there assumes that you already know what they are talking about or is just too confusing as it doesn't explain enough. I have gotten myself very confused lol.

I want to be able to 'de-brand' the new phone so that it is just like the old one, and to do that i'd like to understand what i am doing a bit more, like the baseband version and build number (XXLK1 and XXLK3 are bpth quoted in the 'About Phone' menu) and i don't understand what file i should be downloading as all i can find is labelled as GT-S5830iXXLK3 so would this be the correct firmware for my handsets as i thought they were listed by Baseband (which is XXLK1 not XXLK3 but the bit in the phone's build number says XXLK3 even though the actual phone's Baseband says XXLK1) can you see why i am confused? lol!
I'd like to be as sure as i can be prior to flashing so i don't make any silly mistakes.

I have:
KIES software,
USB Drivers (i think)
ODIN v3.07 software,
Standard Samsung supplied USB cable,
Windows 7 32bit.

Can anyone help me to understand why the firmware sets are in several split files and help confirm which firmware i do actually need for the baseband type of my two handsets.
I'm also intending to make a backup of each phone prior to flashing so i hopefully do not brick any devices. Maybe i could even read the firmware of one phone and flash to the other? Perhaps i'll just stick to finding a suitable stock firmware and keep it simple

Any help, information, education is all appreciated, and i hope as a noob to the forum i haven't breached any set rules with this post (i don't think i have but you never know!)

Kindest regards,
Drew
United Kingdom.

read my thread or signature.
28th January 2013, 06:05 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
I have loaded KIES and got some more information:
On the older SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i (unlocked to all networks) it says: PDA:LK3 / PHONE: LK1 / CSC: LK1 (BTU)
On the newer SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i (locked and branded o2) it says: PDA:LK3 / PHONE: LK1 / CSC: LK1 (O2U)

So clearly i can see the difference here between the new phone with it's o2 network branded firmware, and assume that the only thing i need to change over on the new phone is the CSC part, which ODIN looks like it can do by simply adding a new CSC file in.
Anyway, i went to the SamMobile Firmware site and have downloaded:
GT-S5830i - United Kingdom - BTU
PDA: S5830IXXLK3
CSC: S5830IBTULK1
Version: 2.3.6
Date: 2012-11-23

...which gives me a zip file named: S5830IXXLK3_S5830IBTULK1_BTU.zip

Here's where i just got more confused lol... the thread you pointed me to gets a bit confusing as lots of people are posting allsorts on it, but am i right in thinking once i have that file i just downloaded i go into ODIN v3.07 and just add that file into the PDA section and then untick all the boxes? This seems a bit different to some of the other Odin instructions i have read where they say tick certain boexes and do this, do that etc...
This way seems to be involving reflashing the PDA, and PHONE sections maybe? Am i not just wanting to flash CSC parts? I am SO confused now.

Can anyone help clarify a little more? I can't quite see how you make a firmware backup using ODIN before proceeding to actual flashing. I'd like to make a backup first before i do anything
Last edited by DrewKrew; 28th January 2013 at 06:11 PM.
29th January 2013, 03:21 AM   |  #4  
iamareebjamal's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Batcave
Thanks Meter: 4,781
 
3,630 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKrew

I have loaded KIES and got some more information:
On the older SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i (unlocked to all networks) it says: PDA:LK3 / PHONE: LK1 / CSC: LK1 (BTU)
On the newer SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE GT-S5830i (locked and branded o2) it says: PDA:LK3 / PHONE: LK1 / CSC: LK1 (O2U)

So clearly i can see the difference here between the new phone with it's o2 network branded firmware, and assume that the only thing i need to change over on the new phone is the CSC part, which ODIN looks like it can do by simply adding a new CSC file in.
Anyway, i went to the SamMobile Firmware site and have downloaded:
GT-S5830i - United Kingdom - BTU
PDA: S5830IXXLK3
CSC: S5830IBTULK1
Version: 2.3.6
Date: 2012-11-23

...which gives me a zip file named: S5830IXXLK3_S5830IBTULK1_BTU.zip

Here's where i just got more confused lol... the thread you pointed me to gets a bit confusing as lots of people are posting allsorts on it, but am i right in thinking once i have that file i just downloaded i go into ODIN v3.07 and just add that file into the PDA section and then untick all the boxes? This seems a bit different to some of the other Odin instructions i have read where they say tick certain boexes and do this, do that etc...
This way seems to be involving reflashing the PDA, and PHONE sections maybe? Am i not just wanting to flash CSC parts? I am SO confused now.

Can anyone help clarify a little more? I can't quite see how you make a firmware backup using ODIN before proceeding to actual flashing. I'd like to make a backup first before i do anything

Seeing that You except you are a noob



Well we all are noobs here


We just try to know more things


Well as your question is not a kind that other noobs post


And you also said that you searched before posting


So it's good for you


I want to tell you that in order to keep the General section clean

I have made a thread for questions


Any questions.


So, this time you are correct and these type of questions are welcomed.


But, next time if you have a question.

Please post in HELP THREAD
The Following User Says Thank You to iamareebjamal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2013, 03:44 AM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Smile Stock..
ahhh horlicks, need to 10 posts to link out side of xda, grrrr.... PM me drew. I have the repack...




i think this is what your looking for, de-branded, (BTU) well branded to samsung anyway, stock firmware.


CSC, Modem and PDA repacked for odin.



CSC_S5830iXXLK3_S5830iBTULK1_S5830iXXLK
MODEM_S5830iXXLK3_S5830iBTULK1_S5830iXXLK1
PDA_S5830iXXLK3_S5830iBTULK1_S5830iXXLK1

Enjoy,

Sat1
The Following User Says Thank You to satelliteone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th February 2013, 07:14 AM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Smile hey
Quote:
Originally Posted by satelliteone

ahhh horlicks, need to 10 posts to link out side of xda, grrrr.... PM me drew. I have the repack...




i think this is what your looking for, de-branded, (BTU) well branded to samsung anyway, stock firmware.


CSC, Modem and PDA repacked for odin.



CSC_S5830iXXLK3_S5830iBTULK1_S5830iXXLK
MODEM_S5830iXXLK3_S5830iBTULK1_S5830iXXLK1
PDA_S5830iXXLK3_S5830iBTULK1_S5830iXXLK1

Enjoy,

Sat1

Hey pls pls pls could you send me link to this stock firmware I've been looking for hours and not found anything, Thanks!
24th February 2013, 07:19 AM   |  #7  
js2892's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 394
 
645 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjunkie223

Hey pls pls pls could you send me link to this stock firmware I've been looking for hours and not found anything, Thanks!

here u go
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1971115
24th February 2013, 07:23 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
hey
Quote:
Originally Posted by js2892

here u go
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1971115

sorry but which one should i use as theres no link for the UK one
24th February 2013, 07:48 AM   |  #9  
js2892's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 394
 
645 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjunkie223

sorry but which one should i use as theres no link for the UK one

if you want only the UK one, search on sammobile.com, u might find it!
why do you want stock rom?

you could install firmwares of other countries but u "might" face network problems!
backup your imei via galaxy toolbox app if you do so!!

u could flash a custom rom!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes