Can't copy files to the SD card

Search This thread

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I have tried using ES file explorer, the Asus file manager, and FX file explorer. I get a copy failed message every time I try to copy a file to the removable SD card.

Anyone else have this issue?

You can't know your limits until you exceed them.

Reactions: tapatalk

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I have tried using ES file explorer, the Asus file manager, and FX file explorer. I get a copy failed message every time I try to copy a file to the removable SD card.

Have you tried to reformat the card with fat32?

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I just did. Seems I'm only having issues with the 32 GB size cards. Acting like they are read only. Can't find such a setting anywhere. Is there another format that should work?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I just did. Seems I'm only having issues with the 32 GB size cards. Acting like they are read only. Can't find such a setting anywhere. Is there another format that should work?

Have you tried with the latest kernel (JB version .25) and what make and model of your sdcard? just wonder if compability issue and are we talking about Micro sdcard or full size sdcard? On the full size there is a little switch on the side to block writting to the card.

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
I'm only having issues when I'm using the tablet to copy files. I'm on CleanROM Inheritance. I don't recall if I had this issue with the stock rom. Sometime tonight I will make a backup of my current and then flash to stock rom. Since I'm talking about the removable SD card, it could only be the micro SD that is installed in the tablet. There is no switch on that card.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda app-developers app

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I think flashing the _that nodpi kernel should resolved your issue, give it a try.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
That did it. Did it replace the overclock kernal I selected when I flashed CROMI 3.2?

duckredbeard

Aug 21, 2010
Is there another kernel that can be the fix and still give us over clock?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Is there another kernel that can be the fix and still give us over clock?

Sorry but nope, I believe as soon as Asus release source code, _that is going to make an OC version for this and it's going to be awsome. For now we just have to wait.

dan5001

Jun 18, 2013
Manchester
Similar Problem With A Samsung Micro SD Card

That did it. Did it replace the overclock kernal I selected when I flashed CROMI 3.2?

Hi.

I'm having a problem with my Samsung Micro SDXC I (Class 10) card. I've been messing abut with it for days now, formatting, re-formatting in exFAT, FAT32, NTFS but the problem persists; whenever I try to copy data across to the card, the first time the card is inserted, it starts to copy, sometimes even up to 1.5Gb of data but often much less, but then gives me a 'Write Error' or 'I/O Error' message & stops working. Sometimes it also deletes other data on the card when the error occurs. then, until I unmount the card again, it barely functions at all! :(

A big factor in buyinh this tablet, unlocking, then rooting it was so that I'd have an awesome, small, tablet that had loads of storage & could be transported around very easily. If I can't get the cards to work with it, that's a big part of it's usefulness to me down the drain.

I tried to download the kernal that was mentioned above the message of yours that I'm replying to but the file has been moved. Do you still have it?.......or know how I can resolve my problem without it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi.

I'm having a problem with my Samsung Micro SDXC I (Class 10) card. I've been messing abut with it for days now, formatting, re-formatting in exFAT, FAT32, NTFS but the problem persists; whenever I try to copy data across to the card, the first time the card is inserted, it starts to copy, sometimes even up to 1.5Gb of data but often much less, but then gives me a 'Write Error' or 'I/O Error' message & stops working. Sometimes it also deletes other data on the card when the error occurs. then, until I unmount the card again, it barely functions at all! :(

A big factor in buyinh this tablet, unlocking, then rooting it was so that I'd have an awesome, small, tablet that had loads of storage & could be transported around very easily. If I can't get the cards to work with it, that's a big part of it's usefulness to me down the drain.

I tried to download the kernal that was mentioned above the message of yours that I'm replying to but the file has been moved. Do you still have it?.......or know how I can resolve my problem without it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You don't say which rom or firmware you are currently using. Without knowing that I wouldn't go blindly flashing kernels that are nearly a year old ;)

It could be that your card is actually damaged as I can copy files just fine on mine. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra uhs-1.

dan5001

Jun 18, 2013
Manchester
ROM & Firmware

You don't say which rom or firmware you are currently using. Without knowing that I wouldn't go blindly flashing kernels that are nearly a year old ;)

It could be that your card is actually damaged as I can copy files just fine on mine. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra uhs-1.

Hi sbdags,

Roger that ;)

I'm not bad with most things tecchie but whilst I know which ROM I'm using, I'm not sure what the firmware is.

I recently updated to CROMI-X 5.2.2 from an earlier version in the hope that that might include an update or something that would solve my SD card problem.......it didn't :(

With regard to 'Firmware', I'm not sure where that's listed on the tablet but in the 'About' tab in my settings, it says:
Android Version - 4.2.1
Kernal Version - 3.1.10-g215ae8bf Android@Pisces # 1
Build Number - TF700 CHROMI-X 5.2.2 - 10.6.1.27.5 WW DEODEX
Pad EC Version - PAD-EC20T-0216
MobileDock Version - DOCK-EC20N-0207

I hope the firmware information you need is in there somewhere?

The card I bought is the latest 64Gb Samsung Micro SDXC Pro UHS-1 (Class 10) with write speeds of 20Mb/s & 70Mb transfer speed. I had read the formums & was torn between this card & the SanDisk 64Gb Ultra Micro SDXC (Class 10), the two-tone red/grey version, presumably like the one you're using but the Samsung was faster & at the time I bought it, the Samsungwas almost £15 cheaper. Since they were both reported to work, I opted for the Samsung card; maybe that was a bad decision?

I've just ordered the SanDisk 64Gb card, in the hope that that one will work because as i said, it really would be a shame if I can't make use of the extended storage that the SD crads give.

Do you use your SanDisk card in Micro SD form in the tablet or SD form in the dock.....or both......& have you got them formatted to exFAT or some other format?

Thanks again for your attention.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi sbdags,

Roger that ;)

I'm not bad with most things tecchie but whilst I know which ROM I'm using, I'm not sure what the firmware is.

I recently updated to CROMI-X 5.2.2 from an earlier version in the hope that that might include an update or something that would solve my SD card problem.......it didn't :(

With regard to 'Firmware', I'm not sure where that's listed on the tablet but in the 'About' tab in my settings, it says:
Android Version - 4.2.1
Kernal Version - 3.1.10-g215ae8bf Android@Pisces # 1
Build Number - TF700 CHROMI-X 5.2.2 - 10.6.1.27.5 WW DEODEX
Pad EC Version - PAD-EC20T-0216
MobileDock Version - DOCK-EC20N-0207

I hope the firmware information you need is in there somewhere?

The card I bought is the latest 64Gb Samsung Micro SDXC Pro UHS-1 (Class 10) with write speeds of 20Mb/s & 70Mb transfer speed. I had read the formums & was torn between this card & the SanDisk 64Gb Ultra Micro SDXC (Class 10), the two-tone red/grey version, presumably like the one you're using but the Samsung was faster & at the time I bought it, the Samsungwas almost £15 cheaper. Since they were both reported to work, I opted for the Samsung card; maybe that was a bad decision?

I've just ordered the SanDisk 64Gb card, in the hope that that one will work because as i said, it really would be a shame if I can't make use of the extended storage that the SD crads give.

Do you use your SanDisk card in Micro SD form in the tablet or SD form in the dock.....or both......& have you got them formatted to exFAT or some other format?

Thanks again for your attention.

Well the ROM is mine so you are all good there. Lol. I only use fat32 as that is how the cards come.

Are you copying the files in esfileexplorer? Are they single files? Total size?

dan5001

Jun 18, 2013
Manchester
File Sizes

Well the ROM is mine so you are all good there. Lol. I only use fat32 as that is how the cards come.

Are you copying the files in esfileexplorer? Are they single files? Total size?

Hi sbdags.

I've tried using both the File Explorer that was included with CHROMI-X & another one from the Play Store that I use on my phone called Astro; the same thing happens with both. As I say, the card seemed okay to begin with but all I had put on it was my Nandroid & Titanium backups (approx. 2Gb total with lots of small files included). The problems started when I tried to copy a season of a TV series onto the card to free up space on the internal SD card. It started off okay & I wasn't expecting any problems but then approx 1.5Gb, I got an I/O write error & then all the problems I described in my first post.

As an aside, the card performed best when formatted to FAT32 but according to the SD Card Association, SDXC cards come formatted as exFAT, so that's how it's currently formatted; I thought if that's how it came & it initially worked okay, maybe that would solve the issue. Again, I was wrong!

So, I'll format it back to FAT32 again but as I've already had it in that format, I wouldn't anticipate any change to the card's behaviour.

The 64Gb SanDisk card should be here in a few days, so I'll be able to report on whether that one works or not then.

Did you have to re-format yours when you first got it or are the SD Card Association talking nonsense? Oh, & you didn't say whether you're able to use your cards in both micro form in the pad &/or full-size form in the dock? Also, was the Firmware information you asked for in that mass of stuff I listed. If not, where do I find it, so I know for the next time you ask ;)

Thanks again :)

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi sbdags.

I've tried using both the File Explorer that was included with CHROMI-X & another one from the Play Store that I use on my phone called Astro; the same thing happens with both. As I say, the card seemed okay to begin with but all I had put on it was my Nandroid & Titanium backups (approx. 2Gb total with lots of small files included). The problems started when I tried to copy a season of a TV series onto the card to free up space on the internal SD card. It started off okay & I wasn't expecting any problems but then approx 1.5Gb, I got an I/O write error & then all the problems I described in my first post.

As an aside, the card performed best when formatted to FAT32 but according to the SD Card Association, SDXC cards come formatted as exFAT, so that's how it's currently formatted; I thought if that's how it came & it initially worked okay, maybe that would solve the issue. Again, I was wrong!

So, I'll format it back to FAT32 again but as I've already had it in that format, I wouldn't anticipate any change to the card's behaviour.

The 64Gb SanDisk card should be here in a few days, so I'll be able to report on whether that one works or not then.

Did you have to re-format yours when you first got it or are the SD Card Association talking nonsense? Oh, & you didn't say whether you're able to use your cards in both micro form in the pad &/or full-size form in the dock? Also, was the Firmware information you asked for in that mass of stuff I listed. If not, where do I find it, so I know for the next time you ask ;)

Thanks again :)

I've never tried my card in the dock to be honest. Both my cards; 32GB and 64GB are SanDisk, I am not sure now what they cam in but I am using fat32 as I formatted them myself.

As for the stuff you posted I just wanted to know the rom and bootloader version. So CROMi-X 5.2.2 on 10.6.1.14.10 would have ben enough. Maybe the kernel helps too. In your case you are using the stock kernel. You may get better results on thatv4 kernel?

dan5001

Jun 18, 2013
Manchester
SD Cards & Kernels

I've never tried my card in the dock to be honest. Both my cards; 32GB and 64GB are SanDisk, I am not sure now what they cam in but I am using fat32 as I formatted them myself.

As for the stuff you posted I just wanted to know the rom and bootloader version. So CROMi-X 5.2.2 on 10.6.1.14.10 would have ben enough. Maybe the kernel helps too. In your case you are using the stock kernel. You may get better results on thatv4 kernel?

Cheers.

So, I think I've grasped that the kernel is similar to the BIOS on a PC; is that correct?

When you say that I may get better results using _that's v.4 kernel, what improvements are you thinking I might see?

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
So, I think I've grasped that the kernel is similar to the BIOS on a PC; is that correct?

Not really, the kernel is ... the kernel. The core of the operating system. Under Windows it's ntoskrnl.exe.

You could compare the bootloader with the PC BIOS - its main function (nowadays) is to start the operating system.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You beat me to it! I've been out most of the day and this is the first chance I've had to reply :) .

I am not saying this will fix your issue but it did for me.

From the technical blurb, this is what it does...
    NextApp SDFix will modify the configuration file located at /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml to allow apps to write to the MicroSD card. Specifically, SDFix will add the Android UNIX group "media_rw" to the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission's configuration. This will enable apps (only those that you granted write access permissions to when you installed them) to write files to the MicroSD card. On many devices, this is effectively reverting the state of this permission back to the way it was configured in Android 4.3. This modification is carried out by modifying the existing XML file, rather than replacing it.
    A backup of the original configuration file will be saved at /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix (provided one does not already exist). Reverting this modification can be accomplished by using a root -enabled file manager to replace the /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file with the backed up version.

Clever people like sbdags, _that, lj50036 and berndblb would all know how to modify this file from a command line but this works for mortals like me.

Link to said kernel?

download this http://d-h.st/M6j then flash with twrp, during the install pick _that_nodpi_stock kernel.
    Hi fatboyinlycra,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried copying & pasting the name of the app into the Play Store search but nothing comes up which matches exactly; there is a company called NextApp but they don't seem to have an app called SDFix & there are obviously a few different apps that claim to provide the fix you've described & hopefully, the one that will end my year of micro SD card misery :crying:

I've also tried reading the thread in your last post but it I didn't see anything on page 18 that you linked to.

Maybe I'm being a bit lazy here but without me having to read all 22 pages of that thread on my incredibly slow internet connection &/or install loads of different SD Fix apps only to find that they don't work, I don't suppose you could post a direct link to the app that fixed your issues on the Play Store online, could you? That way I'll know I've got the correct app & I'll be able to lavish you with my gratitude :victory:

Cheers

Here you go.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    You beat me to it! I've been out most of the day and this is the first chance I've had to reply :) .

I am not saying this will fix your issue but it did for me.

From the technical blurb, this is what it does...
    NextApp SDFix will modify the configuration file located at /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml to allow apps to write to the MicroSD card. Specifically, SDFix will add the Android UNIX group "media_rw" to the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission's configuration. This will enable apps (only those that you granted write access permissions to when you installed them) to write files to the MicroSD card. On many devices, this is effectively reverting the state of this permission back to the way it was configured in Android 4.3. This modification is carried out by modifying the existing XML file, rather than replacing it.
    A backup of the original configuration file will be saved at /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml.original-pre-sdfix (provided one does not already exist). Reverting this modification can be accomplished by using a root -enabled file manager to replace the /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file with the backed up version.

Clever people like sbdags, _that, lj50036 and berndblb would all know how to modify this file from a command line but this works for mortals like me.

I'm going to add this to today's crombi-kk release :)