Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[ROOT][HOW TO] Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version

OP prokennexusa

7th February 2013, 11:46 PM   |  #11  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 963
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens98

Bluetooth gps wont install, how did you get it to install?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

kstephens98,

The company made a change to their software, let me see if we can obtain the older copy. In the mean time, follow the instructions for the WiFi version, this works flawlessly.
The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 11:54 PM   |  #12  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 963
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgyuszko

I can't get it to install from google play either? States it won't work on kfhd so won't install?
Any thoughts?

kgyuszko,

We are working with the developer to solve the problem, in the mean time use the WiFi Version, this works flawlessly. We will get you a copy to test.
8th February 2013, 12:34 AM   |  #13  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 963
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - App Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens98

Bluetooth gps wont install, how did you get it to install?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

kstephens98,

As promised, we got you several choices to try on the Kindle - be sure you enable Mock Location (on the Kindle) per the instructions.

***WE HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO TEST THESE APPS - WE USE THE PREFERRED METHOD***

First attempt to install the app, if the install fails, move the from the /sdcard/Download folder to /system/app and change the permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - reboot and test each application. If the app fails to work, go back to /system/app and remove the application.

Step 2.1: Download and Install Googoo Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.2: Download and Install Mobilej Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.3: Download and Install Turboirc Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)

*These apps are designed to connect a Bluetooth GPS Device to the Kindle Fire like the Dual XGPS150A - the 3 apps are NOT designed to connect a phone GPS to your Kindle Fire.
Last edited by prokennexusa; 8th February 2013 at 12:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2013, 12:36 AM   |  #14  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 963
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version - Bth App Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgyuszko

I can't get it to install from google play either? States it won't work on kfhd so won't install?
Any thoughts?

kgyuszko,

As promised, we got you several choices to try on the Kindle - be sure you enable Mock Location (on the Kindle) per the instructions.

***WE HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO TEST THESE APPS - WE USE THE PREFERRED METHOD***

First attempt to install the app, if the install fails, move the from the /sdcard/Download folder to /system/app and change the permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - reboot and test each application. If the app fails to work, go back to /system/app and remove the application.

Step 2.1: Download and Install Googoo Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.2: Download and Install Mobilej Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.3: Download and Install Turboirc Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)

*These apps are designed to connect a Bluetooth GPS Device to the Kindle Fire like the Dual XGPS150A - the 3 apps are NOT designed to connect a phone GPS to your Kindle Fire.
Last edited by prokennexusa; 8th February 2013 at 12:47 AM.
8th February 2013, 03:41 PM   |  #15  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

kgyuszko,

As promised, we got you several choices to try on the Kindle - be sure you enable Mock Location (on the Kindle) per the instructions.

***WE HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO TEST THESE APPS - WE USE THE PREFERRED METHOD***

First attempt to install the app, if the install fails, move the from the /sdcard/Download folder to /system/app and change the permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - reboot and test each application. If the app fails to work, go back to /system/app and remove the application.

Step 2.1: Download and Install Googoo Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Googoo Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.2: Download and Install Mobilej Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Mobilej Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)
OR
Step 2.3: Download and Install Turboirc Bluetooth GPS (Alternative Method)*: Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Dropbox) or Turboirc Bluetooth GPS App (Ubuntu One)

*These apps are designed to connect a Bluetooth GPS Device to the Kindle Fire like the Dual XGPS150A - the 3 apps are NOT designed to connect a phone GPS to your Kindle Fire.

Thanks for the quick response, however I have a question.

My mobile is blackberry curve, and does not support tethering (gggrrrr!!), hense the 'hope' that bluetooth connection via phone would work. I assume from your response this is not possible, or I am having a noob moment here??
9th February 2013, 12:26 AM   |  #16  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 963
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Phone Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgyuszko

Thanks for the quick response, however I have a question.

My mobile is blackberry curve, and does not support tethering (gggrrrr!!), hense the 'hope' that bluetooth connection via phone would work. I assume from your response this is not possible, or I am having a noob moment here??

kgyuszko,

Blackberry is a proprietary OS named BlackBerry Device Software v5 - this tutorial is designed for Android Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean Tablets and Phones. Blackberry is limited to Blackberry only apps and services.

Sorry!
9th February 2013, 04:06 AM   |  #17  
Member
San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 22
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
KFHD 8.9 Doesn't Like Bluetooth GPS
Chris,

I'm having some weirdness with the bluetooth apps on my KFHD 8.9.

- GooGoo bluetooth would not install from either /sdcard/download or from /system/app.
- turboirc.btgps.apk installed. But I lost the pull-down menu (necessary to enable bluetooth, etc.) and the bottom nav menu - they are enabled for about second after boot, then they 'autohide' and are no longer available. Other apps work fine, but it's difficult to get back 'home' without a reboot.
- mobilej installed as well but also killed the menus.

Mobilej does have a 'settings' prompt that activated when it determined that bluetooth wasn't enabled, so I was able to enable the bluetooth radio from the app. I am able to see the TomTom MKII bluetooth GPS, and can enter the GPS' ID number when attempting to connect, but get a 'not compatible' error


Two questions - anyone know the app in /system/app that I might be able to run to regain the menus? Is there an app or file or database one can access to uninstall an app without access to the pull-down menu?

Sigh...time for another complete restore.
Last edited by Slimepuppy; 9th February 2013 at 04:08 AM.
9th February 2013, 05:22 AM   |  #18  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 963
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Add Bluetooth GPS To The Kindle Fire HD - Kindle Fire 8.9" build.prop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimepuppy

Chris,

I'm having some weirdness with the bluetooth apps on my KFHD 8.9.

- GooGoo bluetooth would not install from either /sdcard/download or from /system/app.
- turboirc.btgps.apk installed. But I lost the pull-down menu (necessary to enable bluetooth, etc.) and the bottom nav menu - they are enabled for about second after boot, then they 'autohide' and are no longer available. Other apps work fine, but it's difficult to get back 'home' without a reboot.
- mobilej installed as well but also killed the menus.

Mobilej does have a 'settings' prompt that activated when it determined that bluetooth wasn't enabled, so I was able to enable the bluetooth radio from the app. I am able to see the TomTom MKII bluetooth GPS, and can enter the GPS' ID number when attempting to connect, but get a 'not compatible' error


Two questions - anyone know the app in /system/app that I might be able to run to regain the menus? Is there an app or file or database one can access to uninstall an app without access to the pull-down menu?

Sigh...time for another complete restore.

Slimepuppy,

Damn software developers! Why do they have to make apps that beak devices! I am removing the Bluetooth option since it clearly does not work.

Sorry it had to be you! The software must have added something to the build.prop - can you get to Google Play Store? If yes, download and install build.prop Editor then open the editor and look at the last lines, it will be obvious what has been inserted. I have attached an original HD 8.9" build.prop to this response.

If I understand you correctly, you have removed the software, and since the removal you have lost the status bars, correct? Using ES File Explorer, take a peek at the /system/ folder, do you see a file named build.bak or something like this name? If yes, there is the backup build.prop.
Attached Files
File Type: zip build.prop.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.7 KB, 10 views)
9th February 2013, 01:16 PM   |  #19  
Member
San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 22
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokennexusa

Slimepuppy,

Damn software developers! Why do they have to make apps that beak devices! I am removing the Bluetooth option since it clearly does not work.

Sorry it had to be you! The software must have added something to the build.prop - can you get to Google Play Store? If yes, download and install build.prop Editor then open the editor and look at the last lines, it will be obvious what has been inserted. I have attached an original HD 8.9" build.prop to this response.

If I understand you correctly, you have removed the software, and since the removal you have lost the status bars, correct? Using ES File Explorer, take a peek at the /system/ folder, do you see a file named build.bak or something like this name? If yes, there is the backup build.prop.

No worries Chris - it's a fun way to learn! The tools work for some - I just need to work through my newbness.

Thanks for the build.prog info and the link - I'll do some exploring.
Andy

edit... just to clarify, the status bar buttons (back, home,search, etc.) disappeared after installing the bluetooth app. I wasn't able to delete the software as the Fire's pull-down menu and navigation buttons disappear when the bluetooth apps are installed. Once I reboot the Kindle, I can run any app I wish - once - but cannot close it to open another app (unless the app has an exit function) as there's no 'home' or 'back' button. The bottom status bar is there in the form of a black bar that's apparently still reserved, but there are no buttons. The top pull-down menu does not function either. There's no backup build.prop file in /system.

The process appears to work for the KFHD 7 so it's probably good to keep the option available.

If anyone's got these working on a KF HD 8.9, I'd like to hear from them - that'll let me know that I'm the problem and not the app. Thanks!
Last edited by Slimepuppy; 10th February 2013 at 05:03 PM.
10th February 2013, 07:18 AM   |  #20  
prokennexusa's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Petaluma
Thanks Meter: 963
 
2,637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Donate to Me
More
Add WiFi GPS To The Kindle Fire HD Series Noob (Simple) Version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimepuppy

No worries Chris - it's a fun way to learn! The tools work for some - I just need to work through my noobness.

Thanks for the build.prog info and the link - I'll do some exploring.
Andy

Slimepuppy,

Let's enjoy the weekend and get back to the software on Monday. I will be interested to see what we have to change with the Google Play Store install.

Let us know if you need any more help.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bluetooth gps, kindle fire bluetooth gps, kindle fire gps, kindle gps
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes