Ask a question

No registration required

The Hidden Note II

OP TheNeighbor101

30th January 2013, 07:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 166

250 posts
This idea came about after my brother was held up at knife point for his Note II. He was just commuting home at night but thankfully nothing really bad happened to him.

I commute and I hate the idea of losing my new Note II. So, I modified my old wood covered planner by cutting out the paper layers to form a niche for the Galaxy Note II. I considered including the silicone casing to tighten secure the device into place.

I control the device with a smart watch like the old Sony Ericsson LiveView and my wireless stereo remote earphones. My main line is another common smartphone. The Note serves as my secondary line. I can quickly make calls, read & reply sms (pre composed) via the smart watch.

You just need to use the Note in safer places and not flaunt by using it while in the mod planner for long periods of time. It would also help that you install a screen dimmerv app so as the light will not to give away that you have the Note in it and keep your phone in discreet mode with just vibration alerts.

While most are flaunting this great device, it's less likely that the would-be robber will suspect that the Note is in the planner. The secondary phone is your "smoke-screen" device you will surrender.

In this way, there's no need to do any struggle especially when he has a gun pointed at you.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheNeighbor101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2013, 08:08 AM   |  #2  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 18

488 posts
More
Re: The Hidden Note II
What watch do you have?

Phone: Galaxy Note II - SGH-i317M* Provider: Telus Rom: Stock - rooted (JB 4.1.1) Kernel: Stock Recovery: Stock

--------------
Thanks to the Devs hard work and the power of sharing!
30th January 2013, 09:27 AM   |  #3  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 94

367 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeighbor101

This idea came about after my brother was held up at knife point for his Note II. He was just commuting home at night but thankfully nothing really bad happened to him.

I commute and I hate the idea of losing my new Note II. So, I modified my old wood covered planner by cutting out the paper layers to form a niche for the Galaxy Note II. I considered including the silicone casing to tighten secure the device into place.

I control the device with a smart watch like the old Sony Ericsson LiveView and my wireless stereo remote earphones. My main line is another common smartphone. The Note serves as my secondary line. I can quickly make calls, read & reply sms (pre composed) via the smart watch.

You just need to use the Note in safer places and not flaunt by using it while in the mod planner for long periods of time. It would also help that you install a screen dimmerv app so as the light will not to give away that you have the Note in it and keep your phone in discreet mode with just vibration alerts.

While most are flaunting this great device, it's less likely that the would-be robber will suspect that the Note is in the planner. The secondary phone is your "smoke-screen" device you will surrender.

In this way, there's no need to do any struggle especially when he has a gun pointed at you.

Would have been great if he had one of the security apps that take a picture and send it to your email - like lookout and avast... Could have gotten a pic of the thief!

Sent from my Giant i317 Pocket Monster!
30th January 2013, 10:27 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

250 posts
Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359537861567.jpg
Views:	6288
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1688690   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359537915175.jpg
Views:	5877
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1688694   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359537965258.jpg
Views:	5789
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1688696  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheNeighbor101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2013, 10:34 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

250 posts
The previuous post are shots after I managed to cut the inside of the planner. It took me 2 hours to cut and an overnight of drying out the Elmer's glue with a small paint brush on the interior side of the cut out edges.

Choose a planner/notebook that has flexi-band to keep it closed.

1st February 2013, 05:24 AM   |  #6  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 53

265 posts
More
Wouldn't the light from the screen give it away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeighbor101

1st February 2013, 09:50 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

250 posts
Oh, I check the forum and we are all talking about gun control?

Sigh. Ok, back on topic - the screen light would give it away at night. I imply the screen filter to dim it down at 20%. I recommend that you put your browsers at negative or dark backgrounds. I guess you have a settings when you have it in there. It isn't going to be 100% elimination of light bouncing off the opposite page.

The point of going through this trouble is concealment of your device while you travel or commute. It's about an extra layer of precaution. Keeping it out of sight will somehow lessen the provocation of a hold-up. And in the event of a hold-up, be it with whatever threat of life, just give your cheap secondary phone.

There is no point of dying for something you can replace.

1st February 2013, 03:01 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

250 posts
Of course not in the dark. I meant at night in a lit place. The point is - concealment; stealth; secret; not obvious; discreet; hidden; disguised...

I put the Note II in the planner when I am traveling or commuting to another place. I remove the Note entirely from the planner without showing that I have taken it out for long use in a cafe, or safe public places. You can conceal this process of taking it out or putting it back in inside your bag.

When you do need to do something with the Note's UI, it should be brief enough and unnoticeable. Backing up to a wall is one way. With the first S Pen on a holder accessory, you would look like you're jotting down something.

Other than concealment, the planner keeps the Note damage safe from drops.

1st February 2013, 11:58 PM   |  #9  
Forum Moderator
Flag Cheshire
Thanks Meter: 8,273

8,122 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thread cleaned, back on topic please...
2nd February 2013, 12:20 AM   |  #10  
Flag Louisville, KY
Thanks Meter: 264

649 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny

Thread cleaned, back on topic please...

... and my post about using a reading light was off topic?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mister_Mxyzptlk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread