Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,846 Members 39,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q][Solved]My Nexus 7 is very slow to charge

Tip us?

jastonas
Old
Thanks Meter 147

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone755 View Post
Well I've narrowed my issue down to the tablet itself. Tried many power outlets (in 3 apartments, in 3 countries, at least 10 in each apartment -- at least one of these would not be broken), many chargers, many cables.
But the thing always receives less than the charger outputs. A lot less... (Also tried with a phone charger -- input is 200 mA at best)
Seeing as the mA the tablet gets tops out at 700 (if I'm lucky, usually less than 450), I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong. Pulling the battery is only a temporary solution, as it only helps for mere seconds. Restarting doesn't help either, nor does charging when the tablet is off. Also tried the 'connect-to-PC-via-USB-and-then-plug-it-in-a-charger' trick, but no luck...
Estimated charge time from 0 to 100% is around 10 hours, that's 10%/hour. If I'm lucky enough to get 700mA from the charger, it takes around 7-8 hours.
Now what in the world could be causing this?
I see we don't all have the same issues -- some have broken chargers, cables, some have broken kernels. Maybe we all have different hardware versions? Mine is a er3, or so I think. Will check again, as I'm not sure...
I'll download the official 4.1 ROM once I get home from vacation (the Wi-Fi is so bad, I'll be lucky if xda servers even get this message :P). Just to see if it's really kernel -- or any software for that matter -- related.
Or maybe I just have so much sh*t on the poor thing...?
Anyways, will get back with results hopefully this Sunday. Am always alert, watching this thread in case somebody gets any idea what all this could be.
Cheers from Croatia! C:
Any news?

I sent mine to asus service. When it got back, it worked for a couple of days, then it got worse. I've sent it back again...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
EVOLUTION
Quote:
iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC Desire > ZTE Blade > LG Optimus 2X (P990)> Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)

someone755
Old
Thanks Meter 783

DONATE TO ME
Yup, a lot of news.
Installed a factory image 4.1.2. The battery didn't seem to get any better (a calibration issue maybe?), but then I got the notification whether or not to update to JDQ39. What the heck, I said, and now things seem to be getting a lot better.
I get at least 1200 mA out of the charger, and that translates roughly to at most three hours and a half of charging. That's 3.5 hours, mind you.

I think I'll do a calibration, see if it helps. Though I'm sorry I never did one on 4.1...
The question remains, though, what was the matter? Obviously it wasn't the kernel, maybe it was overloaded with my installed apps? Or my kernel wasn't quite as good as I was lead to believe? Weird, but all's well that ends well, I guess. IF this is the end, of course... :P

I just did all of the flashing at 3 in the morning, so please understand the delay (I literally just woke up). Now it's 9:21, CET. :P
Think I'm grumpy or I nag? Follow the rules and pay respect where it's due.

Or it didn't happen.

Current devices:
Sony Xperia S [nozomi] - OpenSEMC CM11
Google Asus Nexus 7 [nakasi] - on RMA
Archos 101 IT Gen8 [?] - Quad-boot. Won't boot. xD
The Following User Says Thank You to someone755 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

someone755
Old
Thanks Meter 783

DONATE TO ME
Okay, an update!
After some time with my pure AOSP-ish Nakasi on build JDQ39, I can positively say that wiping EVERYTHING that you have on the device does not help. (I thought installing a factory image doesn't touch the SDcard. Oh no, my game progress! ;-
I've tried finding the Google support email, to really see what's up with all this, as it's obviously a hardware issue (unless both 4.1 and 4.2 are broken, which I doubt, but I do not exclude this option). If it is indeed a software issue, we can only pray that 4.3 brings the needed fixes. If it's a hardware bug, then, well... I just hope your warranty isn't out yet.

Good thing I still got mine. Just gotta lock the bootloader and everything's gonna be fine and dandy. (I paid an extra 30$ in the shop where I bought it so that no matter what happens, they'll fix it. For 3 years. Even if the entire screen is broken. Good deal, eh?)
Will be relocking, flashing a factory image, using it for a week, and then go have a talk with the shop people. Will report EXACTLY what they did to the tablet and I hope it works. (They might replace the USB port, some cables, chips, the entire board, or even replace the tablet in whole. I don't know how skilled these people are, so anything might happen.)

P.S.
Anyone got that Google support email? I'd like to have a word with them before I relock the BL...

Allt the best,
--someone755

Or it didn't happen.

Current devices:

someone755
Old
Thanks Meter 783

DONATE TO ME
Even more news! After the completely legit OTA 4.3 update, I've come to notice a bit faster charging. First there was no charging (talking just 4.3 here), then there was the 12 hour charging and now it's normal.
Did a new factory image restore, the 4.1 one and got updates via ota. No root or any modifications, not even a recovery, just an unlocked bootloader.

Maybe it's just temporarily so, maybe El Goog actually fixed something...

I'm having a slight hunch that different hardware versions may be the cause of this. Mine is ER3, definitely, can ask you people post yours (in case you haven't bought the new nexus 7, that is)?

Thanks!

Or it didn't happen.

Current devices:

ianmedina
Old
Thanks Meter 19
guys i made a video on how to fix slow charging issue of your Nexus 7. i hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZFcfirYvuA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianmedina For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

someone755
Old
Thanks Meter 783

DONATE TO ME
You got a point there, maybe my cable has dirt on it (or the charger has dust inside)... Though I always do that for every charger before I put my device in, so...
Also, you say that the N7 is from 'twenty-thousand twelve'... No offence, just a heads up :P
(Tip: it's either two-thousand twelve or twenty-twelve)

Still got a like from me, though

Or it didn't happen.

Current devices:

ianmedina
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone755 View Post
You got a point there, maybe my cable has dirt on it (or the charger has dust inside)... Though I always do that for every charger before I put my device in, so...
Also, you say that the N7 is from 'twenty-thousand twelve'... No offence, just a heads up :P
(Tip: it's either two-thousand twelve or twenty-twelve)

Still got a like from me, though
Lol. But i swear it's really working!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to ianmedina For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

someone755
Old
Thanks Meter 783

DONATE TO ME
Okay, this thing is actually working!
Though if I unplug the tablet and plug it back in 5 minutes later, the charger output drops to ~600-850 mA.
There are still questions to be asked and answered, but I'm way too noob to figure them out... :P

Semi-temporary solution, but I guess I'll live.

Or it didn't happen.

Current devices:

mrhomiec
Old
Thanks Meter 53
short story, ever since i manually flashed 4.3, i've had slow charge times.

long story, i've had this rooted for almost a year now, and just a few weeks ago, i unrooted to 4.2.2. even while i was still rooted, and the first few weeks of unroot, i did not have any slow charge issues. then a few days ago, i plugged it at about 10%-20% charge around 10pm, woke up at 5am and it was only up to 47%.

i followed a suggestion from this post- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...60&postcount=4

i tested a battery drain to 10%, powered off, then charged for 75 minutes. i powered on, and it only got to 27%.

i'm highly doubting it's the USB cable or wall charger, as i'm using the same cable and charger as i was before i installed 4.3. could it be because i manually flashed 4.3, and not an OTA? or not even sure that's an issue since it's not really charging very well when powered off.

and for the sake of argument, i have tried 1 additional cable, and 1 additional wall charger, both with slow results. not sure on the exact numbers tho.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code, if you add, PM me your code.

Current Devices:
{Samsung Galaxy Note 2 AT&T on Ditto Note 3}

ianmedina
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhomiec View Post
short story, ever since i manually flashed 4.3, i've had slow charge times.

long story, i've had this rooted for almost a year now, and just a few weeks ago, i unrooted to 4.2.2. even while i was still rooted, and the first few weeks of unroot, i did not have any slow charge issues. then a few days ago, i plugged it at about 10%-20% charge around 10pm, woke up at 5am and it was only up to 47%.

i followed a suggestion from this post- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...60&postcount=4

i tested a battery drain to 10%, powered off, then charged for 75 minutes. i powered on, and it only got to 27%.

i'm highly doubting it's the USB cable or wall charger, as i'm using the same cable and charger as i was before i installed 4.3. could it be because i manually flashed 4.3, and not an OTA? or not even sure that's an issue since it's not really charging very well when powered off.

and for the sake of argument, i have tried 1 additional cable, and 1 additional wall charger, both with slow results. not sure on the exact numbers tho.
Try the video i posted here. It's actually working.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app