FORUMS

How to Listen to Beats 1 on Android Right Now

If you felt a bit left out by Apple launching their own online radio station Beats 1 … more

NVidia SHIELD TV – XDA TV Device Review

The SHIELD TV is a not an Android smartphone device. However, that doesn’t mean it … more

PSA: Having cellular connectivity or texting issues tonight?

You’re not alone…Tonight, many users are experiencing a myriad … more

Beats Music No Longer Accepting New Accounts

Whenever Apple launches a new product or service, it definitely manages to grab the … more

[BOOTLOADER] 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 8.9 [06/24 CM12.1/TWRP 2.8.x]

3,316 posts
Thanks Meter: 23,514
 
By Hashcode, Senior Recognized Developer on 1st February 2013, 09:57 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
3rd February 2013, 04:44 AM |#21  
Junior Member
Arkansas
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
No Recovery
Can't get my Kindle to load up into recovery..

did the fastboot commands fine... get the fade to blue kindle logo

I hold the + volume down but nothing, just skips back to orange logo and boot into stock os.

Thanks for any help,

Update: was able to get into recovery by using adb reboot recovery
Last edited by mtm88001; 3rd February 2013 at 04:46 AM.
 
 
3rd February 2013, 04:49 AM |#22  
FroyoShark's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South Dakota
Thanks Meter: 30
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm88001

Can't get my Kindle to load up into recovery..

did the fastboot commands fine... get the fade to blue kindle logo

I hold the + volume down but nothing, just skips back to orange logo and boot into stock os.

Thanks for any help,

Update: was able to get into recovery by using adb reboot recovery

You need to hold volume up, not down. And make sure you start holding it right when the first orange logo shows.
4th February 2013, 08:13 PM |#23  
ZilverZurfarn's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Perhaps a stupid question, but: If I go thru with this, will it boot to stock Kindle OS after performin step 1 to 5, or do I have to go to recovery and flash something like CM?
Also - The first step
Code:
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes
didn't work for me under Windows.

However,
Code:
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/system.img'
(found at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2100963&page=3)
and then pulling the .img files using adb worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZilverZurfarn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2013, 02:15 PM |#24  
Thepooch's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,078
 
More
Bootloader and recovery flash went excellent thank you Hashcode!!
5th February 2013, 03:00 PM |#25  
slacka-vt's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southern Vermont
Thanks Meter: 130
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilverZurfarn

Perhaps a stupid question, but: If I go thru with this, will it boot to stock Kindle OS after performin step 1 to 5, or do I have to go to recovery and flash something like CM?
Also - The first step

Code:
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes
didn't work for me under Windows.

However,
Code:
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img'
adb shell su -c 'dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/system.img'
(found at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2100963&page=3)
and then pulling the .img files using adb worked.

If you successfully pulled boot.img, recovery.img and system.img from the stock ROM, you simply need to execute the following commands from a terminal -this is assuming the boot.img , recovery.img and system.img files are in your working directory and that your Kindle is on the bootloader screen and your "ADB Composite USB Device" driver is working correctly.

Code:
adb flash boot boot.img -i 0x1949
adb flash recovery recovery.img -i 0x1949
adb flash system system.img -i 0x1949
adb reboot -i 0x1949
5th February 2013, 03:08 PM |#26  
ZilverZurfarn's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacka-vt

If you successfully pulled boot.img, recovery.img and system.img from the stock ROM, you simply need to execute the following commands from a terminal -this is assuming the boot.img , recovery.img and system.img files are in your working directory and that your Kindle is on the bootloader screen and your "ADB Composite USB Device" driver is working correctly.

Code:
adb flash boot boot.img -i 0x1949
adb flash recovery recovery.img -i 0x1949
adb flash system system.img -i 0x1949
adb reboot -i 0x1949

Shouldn't that rather be
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img -i 0x1949
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img -i 0x1949
fastboot flash system system.img -i 0x1949
fastboot reboot -i 0x1949
?
Anyway - Wouldn't that completely undo the installation of the custom recovery? I mean - I'm reflashing the stock recovery and boot back, right?
What I'd like to accomplish is to prepare my Kindle for the day Hashcode has a fully working CM build so I just can boot into recovery and flash cm10.1.zip as soon as it's complete. In short: To have 2nd boot + twrp recovery ready for the day CM is fully operational.
Last edited by ZilverZurfarn; 5th February 2013 at 03:21 PM.
5th February 2013, 03:32 PM |#27  
mdblaze's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Re: [BOOTLOADER] Install 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 8.9
When you flash the files back to the kindle, you are flashing the downloaded boot loader files. Not the stock amazon files you backed up.
5th February 2013, 03:37 PM |#28  
ZilverZurfarn's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdblaze

When you flash the files back to the kindle, you are flashing the downloaded boot loader files. Not the stock amazon files you backed up.

So basically, it's enough to flash my stock, backed up, system.img (as I have already flashed 2nd boot + twrp recovery in step 5) ?
5th February 2013, 11:12 PM |#29  
mdblaze's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilverZurfarn

So basically, it's enough to flash my stock, backed up, system.img (as I have already flashed 2nd boot + twrp recovery in step 5) ?

I'm sorry, I failed to read your posts earlier in the thread. After step 5 you are finished, unless you are ready to flash a new rom or go back to full stock with no bypassed bootloader. The steps after step 5 are only if you want to return to the stock Amazon software.

Once you are done with step 5, you should have an HD with twrp installed and amazon software.
6th February 2013, 03:17 AM |#30  
Hashcode's Avatar
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 23,514
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: [BOOTLOADER] Install 2nd-bootloader for Custom ROMs on KFireHD 8.9
my computer took a dive on me and ive been rebuilding it over the last few days.

ill try and clean up the instructions a bit with some of the recommendations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes