Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC M4(News updated on #55) finally leaked news!

OP TheEndHK

3rd February 2013, 02:26 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 75

161 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEndHK

Hey, sorry to forget mention about Xiaom MI-2. We have many chances to use China smartphone/tablet here in Hong Kong. I've to say it depends on your usage.

They are general powerful on hardware and cheap at price because they cut the cost from software development. You have no chance to get a stock rom close to the HTC/Samsung/Sony level, don't even to think get as many updates as HTC. So, the performance totally depends by custom roms and flash rom is almost a necessary on China stuffs. I see Xiaom MI-2 got a dev broad on XDA now.

If you are going to use it with only some general apps and not a heavy usage user, the stock rom may works fine and China stuffs almost never come with google playstore and map and others google apps, you have to get root access and install them by yourself. Not sure about Xiaom MI-2.

Thanks for your insight. But I think the MI-2 is worth another look. It's roots in rom development (the famous MIUI rom's) which are so succesfull they started building phones there self. I actually love the software and see more future in than in sense or touchwiz UX. They have monthly updates which are based on the miui community and by the looks of the reviews and benchmarks the firmware seems very optimized (all most the speed of the nexus 4, better audio quality than most high end phones, and photo quality is on par with the iphone and sony/samsung devices).

Many people view this phone as another cheap china phone, but I think it deserves a lot more credit than that. There are reports Xiaomi will bring the MI-2 to the US market this year, and is getting a lot of support all round (did i mention Qualcomm is one of the biggest investors?).

I don't want to sounds like this is the best phone on the market or that I'm completely sure I'm going to get one, i just want to raise it out of the budget phone segment.
5th February 2013, 12:05 AM   |  #12  
Flag new aiyansh
Thanks Meter: 25

62 posts
More
HTC One S is ok for the average joe but if you want to...
i have an un branded HTC ONE S, which has been good to me in terms of using custom roms/kernels without too much hassle.
rooting on the other hand was bit of a nightmare, but that was due to me not reading all that i could before i tried, which leads me to the pain in the a** S-ON and having to flash boot kernels/recoveries with ADB (which is no longer a problem with FLASH IMAGE GUI supporting our device)
also the16gb rom is a bit low...would like to have the ability to upgrade to 32

i really dont see too much of an upgrade for our device , the HTC One S is ok for the average joe but if you want to root and mess round with custom roms and kernels, choose another device to upgrade to
5th February 2013, 11:53 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 485

2,086 posts
This is so annoying. Still using 16 GB of internal memory, and now with 13mp camera (useless) so we can only fit 10 pictures.

Also, I guarantee this is gonna be S4 Plus (not Pro) and therefore it will have the Adreno 305 GPU. The old S4 Plus which the One S has, contains an Adreno 225, which is actually a lot faster than the 305.

So take a slower GPU and pair it with a 720p screen (instead of our 540p), take away some CPU performance as well, and what do you get?

And a 13 mp camera, seriously, I thought the "megapixel race" ended ages ago. How many people actually print out billboards from pictures taken on your phone? Just focus on lens quality and aperture, leave the megapixels at 8. Hell, even 5 is more than enough, I never take pictures at more than 2 mp myself.

HTC is digging its own grave.
Last edited by djsubtronic; 5th February 2013 at 11:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsubtronic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2013, 01:27 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 245

507 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubtronic

This is so annoying. Still using 16 GB of internal memory, and now with 13mp camera (useless) so we can only fit 10 pictures.

Lol, bit of an exaggeration there.......

I have had over a 1000 photos (including lots of 1080P and slow motion footage) on my S and still had 5GB left. I don't store any music on my phone so 16GB is more than enough for me and is for many others, nexus 4 16 and 8GB models as well as iphones etc. sell well enough so the ones who want 32GB+ internal and/or a SD slot are in a small minority.

Also, we have no idea yet as to what the camera lens etc. is not to mention software/driver tweaks/optimisation, so how can you judge the camera when the phone specs etc. haven't even been confirmed

Regarding the M7 camera;

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-m7...rapixel-camera

So it could be the same for the M4, just the way the camera on the X and S are the same.
Last edited by Terminator19; 5th February 2013 at 01:32 PM.
5th February 2013, 02:26 PM   |  #15  

2,086 posts
HTC obviously has got everything wrong if they expect people to NOT store music on a "beats" branded phone.
6th February 2013, 01:29 AM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 359

1,292 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubtronic

Also, I guarantee this is gonna be S4 Plus (not Pro) and therefore it will have the Adreno 305 GPU. The old S4 Plus which the One S has, contains an Adreno 225, which is actually a lot faster than the 305.

So take a slower GPU and pair it with a 720p screen (instead of our 540p), take away some CPU performance as well, and what do you get?

And a 13 mp camera, seriously, I thought the "megapixel race" ended ages ago. How many people actually print out billboards from pictures taken on your phone? Just focus on lens quality and aperture, leave the megapixels at 8. Hell, even 5 is more than enough, I never take pictures at more than 2 mp myself.

HTC is digging its own grave.

yup, both CPU/GPU will be slower than One S if it is real using the Qualcomm S4 Plus MSM8930 Dual 1.2G but I doubt that because it will happen the case on One S(S3) again, a great smartphone with slower cpu and terrible sales result.

The M7/M4 will both likely using the technology similar to Foveon X3 RGB 3CMOS on DSLR. It means 3 x 4.3M CMOS combined together to output a 13M photo, you get perfect color and white balance reproduction this time. However, low light and high ISO might be even worse because three CMOS there to share the aperture now, the photo should be darker and more noises appear.

It is absolutely a killer to Nokia Pureview808 and the upcoming Nokia Lumia 950(WP8 with Pureview808) in summer but might not be on the same boat with original One X/S and Nokia 920 which targeted at low lighting environment. I'll see how M7/M4 to handle low light with this new 3CMOS because low light is more important to me.
6th February 2013, 08:02 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 25

132 posts
Re: HTC M4(One S upgrade) finally leaked news!
If you care about low light that mufh, why don't get a dslr?

Sent from my One S using xda premium
6th February 2013, 10:10 AM   |  #18  

2,086 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gock

If you care about low light that mufh, why don't get a dslr?

Sent from my One S using xda premium

Because often when one is in low light conditions and wants to take pictures, they don't usually have their hefty DSLR kit with them. People only carry that stuff around when it's planned. If you go out for some drinks in the evening and want to take some pictures, the One S works wonders, and hence I actually really appreciate its ability to take decent pics in those scenarios without a flash.

Looks like I'll either be skipping an upgrade this year and stick with the One S, or sadly move to a different brand. Unless the M4 turns out to be different.
Last edited by djsubtronic; 6th February 2013 at 10:13 AM.
6th February 2013, 10:14 AM   |  #19  
Flag Ixonia
Thanks Meter: 56

116 posts
More
Re: HTC M4(One S upgrade) finally leaked news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauix

Well I actually lover the cpu choice. Everything runs smooth on this cpu, and with a less heavy skinned Jb (sense 5) this will only improve. Every singel game runs brilliant. I don't think you will notice its downclocked on sense 5 and will bring a lot better battery life I gues.

The display in the one S is great. But when I hold it next to the One X or the SGIII or even the xperia T it really looks dreadfull. The colors and brightness seems fine but compared to these crisp screens it really falls out of the boat.

I'm wondering what the impact will be of a higher res lcd display on the 1.2ghz S4 though.

There are some Sony alternatives. Something I really like about those phones is the waterproof ones. But than again the Sony skin on these phones are just lame. All that grey bled stuff makes it really boring (and ugly), a funeral looks more cheerfull than that.

As I'm looking to replace my One S in march, my preference will still be the Xiaom MI-2.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

And I cant edit my post because my post is to short (less than 2 characters) which its obviously not... So umh.. Yes the S4 Pro quad core is a lot more powerful without sacrificing a lot of battery, but comes with a price tag. And I think this phone will be launched as a sub-high-end alternative for the M7 (like the One S was with the one X).

Yes, and the lower processing speed will in fact increase the battery life too...

Sent from my DROID Pro using xda app-developers app
7th February 2013, 12:57 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 245

507 posts
More
Here are some photos of the M4:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_m4_appea...-news-5498.php

The M7 specs/design has been confirmed:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_m7_to_la...-news-5496.php

Quote:

The listing also confirms the specifications of HTC M7 to sport a 4.7" Full HD display, 1.7 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core processor along with 2GB RAM, 32 GB internal memory with microSD support, 4G, NFC, Android Jelly Bean and 2,300mAh battery

Furthermore, HTC M7 will be using a 13-megapixel camera with stacked sensor and ultrapixels for the first time and it will be interesting to see how the camera performs. M7 is also confirmed to feature the latest HTC 5.0 sense and Double HP techno Beats Audio.

I imagine the black M7 will be similar to the black m4. M4 looks quite curvy/ergonomic and a bit thick so it looks like it will feel comfortable/nice in the hand.

By the looks of it, the speakers are on the front of the M7 too Also I am glad that they aren't going any bigger than 4.7".

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread