[VERY EASY GUIDE] ADB/FASTBOOT/RECOVORY *FULL GUIDE* for flashing ROMs, Kernels, APKs

OP uppon2

4th February 2013, 07:11 AM   |  #11  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,200

2,622 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by treahuggs

Kinda, i have wifi issues. Ive read thats because of the boot.img. Ive tried both boot.img files that you can get with the ViperDNA page and both dont seem to work.

Nvm... again. I have been writing "fastboot flash recovery boot.img" instead of boot... I feel like a noob to reading.

Hehe, I did mention that I tried to be as clear as possible with my instructions - How are you liking ViperDNA? Be sure to check out all of the options in viper tweaks
Last edited by uppon2; 4th February 2013 at 07:21 AM.
4th February 2013, 08:49 AM   |  #12  
Albuquerque
Thanks Meter: 16

83 posts
More
Quote:

2. ** To flash your kernels boot.img you need to type**

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Before flashing the boot.img, you can in fact flash your ROM.zip with the instructions given below. However, it is strongly recommended to do it before you flash the boot.img. This is the standard procedure that should be used for every single ROM.

I find this part a bit confusing. Can you reword? Am I supposed to flash boot.img first then flash my rom or flash my rom first and then flash the boot.img? The "however" is making me hesitant!

Thanks for this wonderful guide!

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

ro roh,

I am now stuck at the htc white screen with the red lettering at the bottom. I held the power button down and the power + vol down and both times the three lights at the bottom (back key, home, and recent apps) just flash at me.

I got it to go back into HBOOT by holding down power + vol down for about 12 secs, it restarts itself.. and when i tell it to reboot, it just goes back to the same screen and gets stuck.

I think i fixed it now. I went back to fastboot, flashed the recovery.img, the boot.img and then launched into cwm and reflashed viper rom. Looks like its working again.
Last edited by adamjamess; 4th February 2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: updates to situation
4th February 2013, 10:29 AM   |  #13  

2,622 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjamess

I find this part a bit confusing. Can you reword? Am I supposed to flash boot.img first then flash my rom or flash my rom first and then flash the boot.img? The "however" is making me hesitant!

Thanks for this wonderful guide!

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

ro roh,

I am now stuck at the htc white screen with the red lettering at the bottom. I held the power button down and the power + vol down and both times the three lights at the bottom (back key, home, and recent apps) just flash at me.

I got it to go back into HBOOT by holding down power + vol down for about 12 secs, it restarts itself.. and when i tell it to reboot, it just goes back to the same screen and gets stuck.

I think i fixed it now. I went back to fastboot, flashed the recovery.img, the boot.img and then launched into cwm and reflashed viper rom. Looks like its working again.

That's great news. I'm glad you worked it out. Because it is such a long guide, it does get a little bit repetitive and hard to concentrate on. You can flash the kernels boot.img before or after the ROM. You might have random issues with the ROM until you do flash the boot.img. It's really not dangerous or anything. I would say if this was your first time ever flashing a ROM on to the device, it would be safest to flash the boot.img first.

I might take this information out that you have brought up because I think I am giving too much information that is not needed right now. Even though it is factual, it can sometimes confuse people. I will leave it in there for now but if 1 more person is a bit held back because of it I'm going to reword it

I love ViperDNA Do you like it so far?
4th February 2013, 03:20 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 8

81 posts
So far i like it. I tried their theme first but i dont like all the red cause i feel like it is telling me something is wrong so i re did it without the theme, Now only the clock is red and i still want to find a way to change that.

Also this phone will be sent back to verizon tomorrow for a replacement. Can i put it back to stock and also get rid of the "tampered" in the boot screen?
4th February 2013, 05:39 PM   |  #15  
Albuquerque

83 posts
More
Re: [VERY EASY GUIDE] ADB/FASTBOOT/RECOVORY *FULL GUIDE* for flashing ROMs, Kernels,
I was pretty impressed with the ViperDNA video review. So far it's given me what I was looking for: 3 dot menu gone, wifi nag, and gps reticule gone. I like the red accents. Although the round icons that are all red are ugly. I have the employee edition of the dna so some red goes well with the back. Again thanks for this!

Edit: The status bar tweaks don't allow me to hide NFC icon!

Edit 2: How do I get the sweep to lock and unlock to work?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by adamjamess; 4th February 2013 at 09:20 PM.
5th February 2013, 09:40 AM   |  #16  

2,622 posts
More
Re: [VERY EASY GUIDE] ADB/FASTBOOT/RECOVORY *FULL GUIDE* for flashing ROMs, Kernels,
Quote:

I was pretty impressed with the ViperDNA video review. So far it's given me what I was looking for: 3 dot menu gone, wifi nag, and gps reticule gone. I like the red accents. Although the round icons that are all red are ugly. I have the employee edition of the dna so some red goes well with the back. Again thanks for this!

Edit: The status bar tweaks don't allow me to hide NFC icon!

Edit 2: How do I get the sweep to lock and unlock to work?

I believe it will depend on your kernel too. If you use cubed it will work, I tested with elkays and it didn't work. If you are not sure how to activate this then open up viper tweaks. For slide2wake the option is in lockscreen and another good feature is hold back to kill which is in the buttons tab. Good luck

Last edited by uppon2; 5th February 2013 at 09:42 AM.
6th February 2013, 05:40 AM   |  #17  
Albuquerque

83 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2

I believe it will depend on your kernel too. If you use cubed it will work, I tested with elkays and it didn't work. If you are not sure how to activate this then open up viper tweaks. For slide2wake the option is in lockscreen and another good feature is hold back to kill which is in the buttons tab. Good luck

For some reason the option is grayed out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360129199364.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	1707509  
6th February 2013, 06:30 AM   |  #18  

2,622 posts
More
Quote:

For some reason the option is grayed out.

The bottom one "Enable slide 2 unlock" you already have checked is all you need for it to work. This is the only option I have checked out of the last 4 options and it works fine for me. Try to uncheck the option to "Block Pulldown" if you are having problems? I did try to enable "Block Pulldown" but I could not reproduce your problem. Mine is working fine.

Which kernel are you using?
6th February 2013, 03:34 PM   |  #19  
Albuquerque

83 posts
More
Dsb's cubed. The one recommended in your guide.

6th February 2013, 07:00 PM   |  #20  

2,622 posts
More
Quote:

Dsb's cubed. The one recommended in your guide.

Should be working. You might want to leave a comment in the kernel and ViperDNA threads. As long as that bottom option is checked it should work with Cubed

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread