Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 50,015 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Builds for NookColor [5/3/13]

Tip us?

eyeballer
Old
(Last edited by eyeballer; 3rd May 2013 at 05:21 PM.)
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3358

DONATE TO ME
Tablet [ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Builds for NookColor [5/3/13]

Updated 5/3/13
The Nook Color is now an official CM 10.1 device! This is a huge milestone in the development of a device of this age!

You can now find builds at http://get.cm/?device=encore

I will keep the remainder of the post below for informational purposes but users should click the link above to get the latest builds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 3/17/13
*Beta 2 released, sync'd with latest CM sources
*Further kernel updates, thanks again to steven676 for all his work!
*Bootanimation still funky...

Updated 2/27/13
*Beta 1 released, sync'd with latest CM sources and updated to 4.2.2.
*Latest kernel changes are included. Thanks steven676.

KNOWN ISSUE:

Android 4.2.2 has some new adb security features which require you to authorize the computer that you're connecting to on your device. Please make sure you have the latest adb version (update it via sdk manager). The initial adb auth doesn't always work when connected with MTP - the workaround is to switch to UMS mode (settings-storage-menu) then auth the device (and remember the keys). After that you can switch back to MTP and it'll work from then on for that computer.

*** If you have a non-development related question/comment about 3rd party mods/add-ons then DO NOT post in this thread, it for bug reports and comments on the build provided without modifications. Please keep all user discussion in the thread in general: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2170185 ***

Original OP

Following closely on the heels of our official status as a CM10 device, the NookieDevs present CyanogenMod 10.1 Alpha for the Nook Color!

As stated, this is an Alpha release for people to get a sense of the new features in Android 4.2.1. Performance doesn't seem quite up to par as CM10 as yet, and any lingering bugs in CM10 will likely be present in this release. While almost everything is working, we do expect users to uncover some additional bugs. Please take precautions to backup your device/data.

You should be able to flash this over CM10; however, if you run into a bug, please do a full wipe and reinstall before reporting. See Post 2 for wipe procedures and gapps information.

Known issues:
1) Initial boot animation doesn't display correctly
2) Some performance issues (remember this is 2010 hardware we're working with...)

Please read over the CM10 thread as the bulk of fattire's introduction still holds true for this release.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER

Understand that there are likely to be bugs, both known and unknown, and that all appropriate experimental-software disclaimers apply, including the fact that by using or attempting to use this software, you assume all risk for fooling with your hardware. We will not be held responsible for any potential loss of data, destruction of hardware, removal or disappearance of limbs, life, or coins in the couch. We do not claim this software is fit for any purpose, etc. Beware of Dragons.

This said, we do feel that the our work is finally “good enough” for interested people with a tolerance for risk to get their hands on.

Of course credits and thanks to all those who have contributed: fattire, keyodi, sluo, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor and many more.

Source:
https://github.com/NookieDevs/androi...e/tree/cm-10.1

Download:
Beta2: cm-10.1-encore-b2.zip MD5: 455cf35156feabc6ac630dce51d29454

Previous builds:
Beta1: cm-10.1-encore-b1-stillsomebugs.zip MD5: 1afea80885f349b810b5130a30d6593e
Alpha1: cm-10.1-a1-encore-fullofbugs.zip MD5: aa47473b5c3f743f3033c7cd7ac29f19
The Following 74 Users Say Thank You to eyeballer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eyeballer
Old
(Last edited by eyeballer; 12th March 2013 at 03:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3358

DONATE TO ME
Gapps for 4.2.2: http://techerrata.com/file/gapps/gap...301-signed.zip
Mirror: http://goo.im/gapps

If you run into a gapps related issue:
1) Wipe system manually in recovery
2) Flash rom then gapps

If you still run into issues:
1) Wipe system manually
2) Wipe data (factory reset)
3) Flash rom and gapps
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to eyeballer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

steven676
Old
(Last edited by steven676; 6th May 2013 at 08:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2350
Default Frequently asked questions

Where did the developer settings go?
Where did the performance menu (overclocking settings, etc.) go?

Google and CyanogenMod decided to hide those settings by default in Android 4.2. To enable them, go to Settings->About tablet and tap on the build number seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rampart51
Old
Thanks Meter 18
FYI I can report it does install in an SD card. Had to start from scratch. Too many issues flashing it on top of Schizod. But I knew that up front.

Thanks for your efforts!
Barnes & Noble Nook Cook Mirage KANG CM7.2

MOTO-G KitKat 4.4.2

thejrcrafter2
Old
(Last edited by thejrcrafter2; 4th February 2013 at 08:29 PM.) Reason: wrong url in the repo code (again)
Thanks Meter 23
Am I actually reading this?!? You guys are amazing!!!!!
To build from source, it's like the PA 4.1.2, but instead we use
Code:
Select Code

repo init -u git://github.com/NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore.git -b jellybean
Right?
Do I even need the -b jellybean?
And to build the ROM, it's still
Code:
Select Code
./rom-build.sh encore
THANK YOU!

eyeballer
Old
Thanks Meter 3358

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejrcrafter2 View Post
Am I actually reading this?!? You guys are amazing!!!!!
To build from source, it's like the PA 4.1.2, but instead we use
Code:
Select Code

repo init -u git://github.com/NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore.git -b jellybean
Right?
Do I even need the -b jellybean?
And to build the ROM, it's still
Code:
Select Code
./rom-build.sh encore
THANK YOU!
Not quite. If you previously set up your repo for PA then you should re-init for building CM:

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.1

Then perform a sync and modify your your local_manifest.xml to include:

Code:
Select Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <remote fetch="git://github.com/" name="gh" />

<project name="NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore" path="device/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="NookieDevs/ti-omap-encore-kernel3" path="kernel/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="encore-omap3-3" />
      <project name="eyeballer/proprietary_vendor_bn" path="vendor/bn" remote="gh" revision="jellybean" />
</manifest>
For now the device repo is still only on NookieDevs - the kernel is up to date on both CM's repo and NookieDevs so you can actually use either for building.
The Following User Says Thank You to eyeballer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thejrcrafter2
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post
Not quite. If you previously set up your repo for PA then you should re-init for building CM:

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.1

Then perform a sync and modify your your local_manifest.xml to include:

Code:
Select Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <remote fetch="git://github.com/" name="gh" />

<project name="NookieDevs/android_device_bn_encore" path="device/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <project name="NookieDevs/ti-omap-encore-kernel3" path="kernel/bn/encore" remote="gh" revision="encore-omap3-3" />
      <project name="eyeballer/proprietary_vendor_bn" path="vendor/bn" remote="gh" revision="jellybean" />
</manifest>
For now the device repo is still only on NookieDevs - the kernel is up to date on both CM's repo and NookieDevs so you can actually use either for building.
Yeah, but if I didn't init for PA, would I have to edit the manifest? And I would use the -b cm-10.1, right? Sorry, I'm still a noob.

eyeballer
Old
Thanks Meter 3358

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejrcrafter2 View Post
Yeah, but if I didn't init for PA, would I have to edit the manifest? And I would use the -b cm-10.1, right? Sorry, I'm still a noob.
Actually you'd still need to init if you only built CM10 before so that all your repos update to 10.1. Then just update the local manifest with our 10.1 branch for the device.

thejrcrafter2
Old
(Last edited by thejrcrafter2; 5th February 2013 at 12:01 AM.) Reason: Video finished uploading
Thanks Meter 23
Putting up a quick review on Youtube:
http://youtu.be/NHl8sib5PUs
Will take about 20 or so minutes to actually load tho

EDIT: OK, it's uploaded.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

I found a bug:
The multitasking button stopped working (the double rectangle thing), but the holding the 'n' button got me to M.T.ing just fine. Can't get a logcat right now, I rotated the Nook while getting the USB cord, and then it worked fine again after rotating it back. Will try to get a logcat next time it happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to thejrcrafter2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

webyrd
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Thumbs up It works

Thanks Devs, cool to be on the bleeding edge.

Dirty flashed this over the CM10 2/3 weekly, wiped cache and fixed permissions. Boot animation is distorted, squished to top half of screen and right 40% cut off, almost like it was trying to display 600x1024 onto 1024x600 or something, this also happened on subsequent re-boots.
There is no Performance tab in settings - was this intentional?
Most everything seems to work, although seat of pants impression is that it is ~20% slower than the latest CM10 weeklies, not really laggy, just a bit slower, like if CPU clock was running at 800 instead of the 1100 that I'm used to, but Quadrant reports that CPU is at 300 min, 1100 max, maybe carried over from CM10 settings?
Only real buggy thing, other than the boot animation was the new Settings > System > Quick Settings panel tab, the first time I selected it, screen went totally black, then nav and notification bar came back, and then system re-booted, since then it seems to work OK.
I notice that Gallery is not syncing with Picassa, can I flash gapps-jb-picassa-20121011-signed.zip over this? I do not see any newer picassa gapps packages on goo.im?

Overall, pretty impressive, thanks again and great job, I'm willing to stick with it for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to webyrd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
cm10.1, encore, jellybean, nookcolor