Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer

OP jangst123

6th February 2013, 09:17 PM   |  #11  
mt3g's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 3,130
 
6,932 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
The best way I see it, now that I've been around the block. You can't take the internet serious anymore. It's difficult to always convey someones personality over text, without emoticons and "lol's" and "" or ""... I'm a prime example of that. I try to say lol, or put a winky face or what have you, but I try and get to the point and tell them its a few pages back... orrr I give them 10 links and tell it 'em took me 5 minutes to do that. I'm no search wizard or anything like that, I just use keywords and then read through things. The users that want things handed to them on a gold platter are a large issue at hand. I would go as far to say as 75% of the questions asked in a dev thread, are in the OP in one way shape or form. I have a q&a thread for Cm10 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1813456 with 10.1 info (which is almost of use to all 4.2 roms out there)... I have a resource guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2088179 Which I'm still ironing things out (should do that today actually, haha) and I have a q&a for Illusion 4.2 rom http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2106546 which for the time being pertained to AOKP and Vanilla Rootbox for the most part. People have looked and looked over them for the most part and still ask the most redundant questions in the dev threads, and open new threads with stuff that I've covered already. If it's something I haven't covered, I answer them respectfully almost every time, and/or point them to a thread that will help them. This needs to be done more often to stop the unnecessary posts, which turn into bashing threads, which turn into more work for the mods. I agree with the OP, some devs will take things to heart and walk away and we are down more person or team that will help us with our phone "needs" ... Devs and themers and such just have to look at it this way... "You can't please them all"-some wise man... And I think I ranted long enough. LUNCH TIME!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mt3g For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2013, 10:10 PM   |  #12  
Android_Monsters's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 961
 
3,235 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Re: Posting Ediquette - Don't Anger a Developer
We are doing way better than what was done on the t989 Hercules forums. We should keep it that way. At least til there is a real s4

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
6th February 2013, 10:26 PM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,287
 
3,195 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3g

The best way I see it, now that I've been around the block. You can't take the internet serious anymore.

This pretty much sums up all these, in my opinion, useless threads/posts. In one concise sentence.

Guys, we don't need a thread for common sense. People who lack common sense won't have sense enough to read the thread. In other words, you are preaching to the choir. This solves nothing.

Enforce the current forum rules. Ban, or at the very least, suspend idiots. Need more moderators, we don't have anywhere near the amount we need. Two to three moderators for each device forum. None of this would have happened. Rules aren't enforced, plain and simple. Rules that are not enforced will be ignored. Do you drive the speed limit? No. Why? Because the rule isn't enforced.
Last edited by Aerowinder; 6th February 2013 at 10:35 PM.
7th February 2013, 01:39 AM   |  #14  
jangst123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucks County, PA
Thanks Meter: 879
 
1,205 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Re: Posting Ediquette - Don't Anger a Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

Not likely BUT this does give me an idea about something a little more (un)official that we could post and stick. I'm going to write something up and pitch it to the team and see what they think and refer them back to this thread.

I like the idea, but it has to be as general and vanilla as possible and cannot be black and white, otherwise it won't work.



You have no idea my man. No idea. You should see some of the stuff we deal with.



I like everything about this post. Some people need to be handheld just a bit longer so they can take their first steps. It is Pete and Re-Pete that are the problems.

In the old days, it was Logcat or GTFO. Then the stone got ground down a bit, then a bit more and now we are here. We are trying to make things more Developer oriented and to make it so that Devs are more cherished than they are now, but it all stems from how to get Users to realize this. Hopefully some guidelines and better n-etiquette will help to usher us back to those days.

I've known jangst123 for a long time, so I know that he is very passionate about this and wants the threads to be filled with awesome ROMs but also the community at-large to be a great place to get help, cool mods or bleeding edge development. I think that we all really want that, right? So let's make it happen.

Logcat or GTFO,, o the good old days!

I would love to see a thumbs up and thumbs down on each and every post.
And if your thumbs down is lower or than thumbs up, you can no longer post in development threads.
This would allow the community to police the threads and force people to think twice before posting.
But that is probably too complicated of a system change.
SO
Would it be possible to keep a ranking of sorts?
Something that checks posts to thanks count.
And you must have at least 1 thank for every 3 posts, to post in in anything other than general. Maybe even include the number of thanks given out in the equation.

Something needs to change.

Repeated questions are completely different than people being rude jerks.
Most of the repeated questions are a bit different than being rude. Repeated questions are probably best answered by quoting the last time it was answered. That way everyone can see it's been answered. And the poster should feel the egg on their face. Or by quoting part of the OP when needed.

I for one am willing to help in any way I can. Just let me know how I can help.
I don't have all that much spare time, I have a business to run, so I try to contribute and encourage developers by donating phones and cash to them. On the occasion I have some spare time and I come here to get away and get my crack flash on.
To see Developers get discouraged by rude posts, drives me crazy!

For now I'm pming offenders and kindly suggesting they read this thread.


Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Last edited by jangst123; 7th February 2013 at 01:41 AM.
7th February 2013, 01:47 AM   |  #15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Re: Posting Ediquette - Don't Anger a Developer
Meh.... The rude and ignorant on tech forums of today are just the newest generation of AOL "me too"ers from yester-year. You couldn't take them seriously either.

I for one am grateful for those that pave the way in new arenas for me.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
7th February 2013, 02:08 AM   |  #16  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
139 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenious247

Some of the blame also falls back on the users who do know what they are doing, because instead of helping educate the less-than-friendly user they actually post responses than incite even more anger leading to that user feeling like they are being "jumped" per se.

Agreed. I absolutely despise people who post, "LEARN 2 USE SEARCH/GOOGLE" instead of simply providing whatever link or help the person is looking for, especially when it's a simple thing like how to get root.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CitrixLemon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 02:34 AM   |  #17  
jangst123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucks County, PA
Thanks Meter: 879
 
1,205 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenious247

Some of the blame also falls back on the users who do know what they are doing, because instead of helping educate the less-than-friendly user they actually post responses than incite even more anger leading to that user feeling like they are being "jumped" per se.

Really this falls back on the xda community as a whole, I know I've posted things before that could have been worded in a way that would have better served the user and the community, instead of my own cynicism or ego.. none of us are perfect, that includes the Devs.

Your absolutely correct!
Responding in that way often starts a flame war.
If ya ain't got nothing nice or helpful to say, don't say it.
Quote the last correct answer to the question, or answer the question politely and move on.
Don't stir the pot.
Anything else often leads to 10 or more useless posts to read through.
I for one often don't have the time to read though all the extra crap that gets posted every time someone gets their feelings hurt.

I did not create this tread to address all the issues on XDA.
I created it to have a thread to point to when I come across the poster that needs a lesson in Posting Etiquette.
And hoping in doing so it would not anger the poster but help educate them a little.
So I would appreciate it if we can keep the discussion to, Posting Etiquette and how to nicely respond to those that need a lesson.

I will edit the OP later to include response etiquette.

lol,, just realized in my haste I spelled Etiquette - Ediquette
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jangst123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 02:34 AM   |  #18  
saranhai's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Developer
Flag Nowhere
Thanks Meter: 3,340
 
4,888 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Donate to Me
More
unfortunately, stuff like this happens in almost every other device forum across XDA. it's stuff like this that makes us stop wanting to dev, stuff like this can even tear a development Team apart, as it almost did with Team Inferno. those who came from the MyTouch 4G know what i'm talking about. Team Inferno faced many haters, people who just wanted to do everything in their will to destroy a newborn team. it takes a bunch of endurance and encouragement, and i thank all those who supported Team Inferno, those who could see potential in a Team of noobs like us. we all start somewhere, nobody wakes up one day and decides "i'm going to be a dev" and by nightfall pushes out the best ROM/mod/kernel ever seen.
end users need to realize that we developers are not here to serve you. you don't pay us for the stuff we push out. we do it in our own free time, because we want to, we have an interest and a hobby.

to developers: don't get butthurt because of one or a couple of know-it-alls, there are people out there that will try to push you down. if you get pushed down by them, you're the only one hurt, they may even laugh at you. don't fall into their trap! because at the end of the day, you're not developing for others, you're developing because you want to, it's your hobby, and you want to share your work with others.

TL;DR?
read the whole thing you lazy butt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saranhai For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 04:11 AM   |  #19  
TheLastSidekick's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,213
 
3,336 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
Re: Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer
"Stop biting the hand that feeds you." I agree with the OP 100000%. Devs are intelligent people. They don't need to stoop to bull****.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhai

unfortunately, stuff like this happens in almost every other device forum across XDA. it's stuff like this that makes us stop wanting to dev, stuff like this can even tear a development Team apart, as it almost did with Team Inferno. those who came from the MyTouch 4G know what i'm talking about. Team Inferno faced many haters, people who just wanted to do everything in their will to destroy a newborn team. it takes a bunch of endurance and encouragement, and i thank all those who supported Team Inferno, those who could see potential in a Team of noobs like us. we all start somewhere, nobody wakes up one day and decides "i'm going to be a dev" and by nightfall pushes out the best ROM/mod/kernel ever seen.
end users need to realize that we developers are not here to serve you. you don't pay us for the stuff we push out. we do it in our own free time, because we want to, we have an interest and a hobby.

to developers: don't get butthurt because of one or a couple of know-it-alls, there are people out there that will try to push you down. if you get pushed down by them, you're the only one hurt, they may even laugh at you. don't fall into their trap! because at the end of the day, you're not developing for others, you're developing because you want to, it's your hobby, and you want to share your work with others.

TL;DR?
read the whole thing you lazy butt.

Also, thank you for your work on XDA.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLastSidekick For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 04:41 AM   |  #20  
Member
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 8
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangst123

Logcat or GTFO,, o the good old days!

I would love to see a thumbs up and thumbs down on each and every post.
And if your thumbs down is lower or than thumbs up, you can no longer post in development threads.
This would allow the community to police the threads and force people to think twice before posting.
But that is probably too complicated of a system change.
SO
Would it be possible to keep a ranking of sorts?
Something that checks posts to thanks count.
And you must have at least 1 thank for every 3 posts, to post in in anything other than general. Maybe even include the number of thanks given out in the equation.

Something needs to change.

Repeated questions are completely different than people being rude jerks.
Most of the repeated questions are a bit different than being rude. Repeated questions are probably best answered by quoting the last time it was answered. That way everyone can see it's been answered. And the poster should feel the egg on their face. Or by quoting part of the OP when needed.

I for one am willing to help in any way I can. Just let me know how I can help.
I don't have all that much spare time, I have a business to run, so I try to contribute and encourage developers by donating phones and cash to them. On the occasion I have some spare time and I come here to get away and get my crack flash on.
To see Developers get discouraged by rude posts, drives me crazy!

For now I'm pming offenders and kindly suggesting they read this thread.


Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

+1 Logcat or GTFO days! Those were the days!
Adding a link to my sig! Hopefully someone will read it, but I doubt the jerks that cause the problems will take the time to read it. They already know it all.
Now that I think about it, I don't post that often to begin with, so i doubt anyone will see mys sig, but i will give it a try.
I like the,, BAM Hammer idea, lol
It would be great if we could hit the thumbs down on their post and somehow vote them off the island!
Last edited by l-levit; 7th February 2013 at 04:43 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to l-levit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
be nice, do not provoke the trolls, mods are here for you, no flaming, posting ediquette, proper posting, use the report button, woody is awesome
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes