Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer

OP jangst123

7th February 2013, 05:30 AM   |  #21  
Android_Monsters's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 968
 
3,252 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Re: Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer
I agree. But, the influx of new users is a boon, as well. There should be a way to usher in new users gracefully.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_Monsters For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 05:31 AM   |  #22  
mt3g's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 3,130
 
6,932 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android_Monsters

I agree. But, the influx of new users is a boon, as well. There should be a way to usher in new users gracefully.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

All the stickies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mt3g For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 05:35 AM   |  #23  
ticojpunk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New City, NY
Thanks Meter: 238
 
557 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Re: Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrixLemon

Agreed. I absolutely despise people who post, "LEARN 2 USE SEARCH/GOOGLE" instead of simply providing whatever link or help the person is looking for, especially when it's a simple thing like how to get root.

What's funny is when I am searching, it seems a good majority of my results are threads where people have already asked my question. But when I get to the thread, it's people saying "this has already been asked, learn to use Google." Gives me a chuckle every time. The little voice in my head says jokingly, "but I just DID".

I do realize this is a product of thread pollution, it's just at this point, it's reality. The more search engines gather information, the more search results are going to point to threads where there is a perfect question, but absolutely no answer, only people being given a dress-down on using the search.

This is why I think it's helpful, as some others have said, to provide a link to an instance where the question has been asked and answered, or a sticky, instead of taking the prideful route of belittling the person. It has nothing to do with worrying about the posters feelings, but everything to do with keeping search engine results useful. If they all point back to good information, more searches are successful to begin with. If you don't wish to use your time linking people to answers that are already out there, simply say nothing at all. In other words, help it to be a potentially useful thread, or help it die with your silence.

I wish it wasn't this way, but that's the reality of it, and it's only getting worse.

In regards to the topic in the OP, it makes me sick when I see people continually stoking the fires against a developer in the developer's own thread. A very recent example locked the thread, ruining it for everyone, and I don't blame the developer or mods one bit. It's just sad that a ROM I love so much, and a thread that I faithfully read multiple times a day, every day, ceased to exist because a small handful of people felt the need to complain endlessly about amazing services provided to them for free.

I can't even put into words how amazing it is that developers build, test, and distribute this stuff without any promise of financial return. It blows my mind. And to think how many people's tech lives are improved because of them simply making our devices better and more enjoyable to use.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by ticojpunk; 7th February 2013 at 06:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ticojpunk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 06:02 AM   |  #24  
mt3g's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 3,130
 
6,932 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
That's why I usually try to give them at least 5 links of what they are asking. If I'm at my computer I definitely try to give them a link, but if I'm at work and can only use my phone I try to give them something to search... If you search something it will give you about 2 pages generally. Look for items in general and q&a and go from there. I guarantee it will only take 10 minutes to find the answer. If people have the time to flash a rom and download all these files, then they have the time to search and read for 10 extra minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to mt3g For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 06:26 AM   |  #25  
jangst123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucks County, PA
Thanks Meter: 879
 
1,205 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Re: Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer
I completely agree with the last 2 posts!
But we also need to remember many of the members are posting from the xda app and we all know how good the search is on it!
If they really need an answer they need to hop on a browser and search. Not the app.

I still feel the best thing to do is to show them our skills and either quote the answer or link to the answer and smack them in the face with it for all the world to see.

In DJs case, one reply showing the great battery stats, and suggesting bettery stats, should have shut him up.
He needed the Ban Hammer, he was just determined to be a disruptive, disrespectful jerk.
If the users could vote him out, he would have been gone in 5 min.
Some people are just that way and their only intention is to piss someone off.

We need to learn to help once then ignore!
Not start a flame war and get the offender going even more.

I know it's hard to ignore them sometimes but it must be done in the interest of not bringing more attention to the jerk and to not bloat the thread.

Answer and move on.
Plus add them to your ignore list

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jangst123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 08:20 AM   |  #26  
vopezy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
198 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Re: Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer
Zero troll tolerance, 3 day suspension then ban.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vopezy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 03:36 PM   |  #27  
Woody's Avatar
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Flag Immersed in Dark Matter
Thanks Meter: 9,901
 
6,999 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticojpunk

What's funny is when I am searching, it seems a good majority of my results are threads where people have already asked my question. But when I get to the thread, it's people saying "this has already been asked, learn to use Google." Gives me a chuckle every time. The little voice in my head says jokingly, "but I just DID".

I do realize this is a product of thread pollution, it's just at this point, it's reality. The more search engines gather information, the more search results are going to point to threads where there is a perfect question, but absolutely no answer, only people being given a dress-down on using the search.

This is why I think it's helpful, as some others have said, to provide a link to an instance where the question has been asked and answered, or a sticky, instead of taking the prideful route of belittling the person. It has nothing to do with worrying about the posters feelings, but everything to do with keeping search engine results useful. If they all point back to good information, more searches are successful to begin with. If you don't wish to use your time linking people to answers that are already out there, simply say nothing at all. In other words, help it to be a potentially useful thread, or help it die with your silence.

I wish it wasn't this way, but that's the reality of it, and it's only getting worse.

In regards to the topic in the OP, it makes me sick when I see people continually stoking the fires against a developer in the developer's own thread. A very recent example locked the thread, ruining it for everyone, and I don't blame the developer or mods one bit. It's just sad that a ROM I love so much, and a thread that I faithfully read multiple times a day, every day, ceased to exist because a small handful of people felt the need to complain endlessly about amazing services provided to them for free.

I can't even put into words how amazing it is that developers build, test, and distribute this stuff without any promise of financial return. It blows my mind. And to think how many people's tech lives are improved because of them simply making our devices better and more enjoyable to use.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Now that is one massive, well thought out post all from his mobile. Did anyone else notice that?

One thing that I would like to add here, is the use of Thread Tags. If everyone, when you are on a PC of course, could go to the bottom of a thread, you'll see a link that says Edit Tags. Here you can put in something along the lines that has to do with the ROM, kernel, mod,... That way when someone uses the Search, it will help to narrow and define the results shown.

If everyone in this thread alone did that on the threads they frequent in a day, then the better search results it would render in the long run. Now getting them to use the search is something else entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangst123

I completely agree with the last 2 posts!
But we also need to remember many of the members are posting from the xda app and we all know how good the search is on it!
If they really need an answer they need to hop on a browser and search. Not the app.

I still feel the best thing to do is to show them our skills and either quote the answer or link to the answer and smack them in the face with it for all the world to see.

In DJs case, one reply showing the great battery stats, and suggesting bettery stats, should have shut him up.
He needed the Ban Hammer, he was just determined to be a disruptive, disrespectful jerk.
If the users could vote him out, he would have been gone in 5 min.
Some people are just that way and their only intention is to piss someone off.

We need to learn to help once then ignore!
Not start a flame war and get the offender going even more.

I know it's hard to ignore them sometimes but it must be done in the interest of not bringing more attention to the jerk and to not bloat the thread.

Answer and move on.
Plus add them to your ignore list

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Again another well thought out post from the mobile.

The app is a convenience, yes. But it is also sometimes a hindrance when wanting some things out there too. But, there is always the ability to hit the menu and use the Show Link in Browser or whatever it is called. That will take you out of the app, then into the browser and you can use the normal daily functions. XDA is working on a better app solution, but that is still a ways off.

You know Aero mentioned that we need more Mods and that rules are not enforced. Im not going to go further into this, as that is not what this thread is supposed to be, but as I've said before, we cannot read every post on every thread. It just isn't possible. We rely on you to help us with that by using the report button. Once we know the problem, then we can action it accordingly.

Quote:

He needed the Ban Hammer, he was just determined to be a disruptive, disrespectful jerk.
If the users could vote him out, he would have been gone in 5 min.

But yet, not a single person reported him. I went back and looked. You know who reported him? DJ, when he asked that his thread be closed. See what I am saying here?
Last edited by Woody; 7th February 2013 at 03:39 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 04:17 PM   |  #28  
ticojpunk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New City, NY
Thanks Meter: 238
 
557 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody


But yet, not a single person reported him. I went back and looked. You know who reported him? DJ, when he asked that his thread be closed. See what I am saying here?

I can say personally, that as I kept reading on, I felt like it wasn't my place to report him. I can't tell you why, and maybe that's simply the wrong attitude. We all need to take responsibility for things we see we feel are out of place. I think a lot of people, like me, take the "better to not get in the middle of the drama" approach. But I often forget that simply reporting a post isn't fueling the drama. If it turns out the report was unfounded, no big deal, but if the mods can take notice of something before it gets out of hand, perhaps they can take action to nip it in the bud.

Very good point. I'm going to make it a point in the future to take more responsibility when a thread takes a turn that I feel is counterproductive. Maybe if I and a few other people had actually reported the nonsense in that recent thread I was referring too, we would still be having a nice friendly conversation about a great ROM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ticojpunk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th February 2013, 04:45 PM   |  #29  
jangst123's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucks County, PA
Thanks Meter: 879
 
1,205 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

Now that is one massive, well thought out post all from his mobile. Did anyone else notice that?


Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

One thing that I would like to add here, is the use of Thread Tags. If everyone, when you are on a PC of course, could go to the bottom of a thread, you'll see a link that says Edit Tags. Here you can put in something along the lines that has to do with the ROM, kernel, mod,... That way when someone uses the Search, it will help to narrow and define the results shown.

If everyone in this thread alone did that on the threads they frequent in a day, then the better search results it would render in the long run. Now getting them to use the search is something else entirely.

Great point! I will try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

Again another well thought out post from the mobile.

The app is a convenience, yes. But it is also sometimes a hindrance when wanting some things out there too. But, there is always the ability to hit the menu and use the Show Link in Browser or whatever it is called. That will take you out of the app, then into the browser and you can use the normal daily functions. XDA is working on a better app solution, but that is still a ways off.

Thanks! Another great point! JUMP to the browser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody

You know Aero mentioned that we need more Mods and that rules are not enforced. Im not going to go further into this, as that is not what this thread is supposed to be, but as I've said before, we cannot read every post on every thread. It just isn't possible. We rely on you to help us with that by using the report button. Once we know the problem, then we can action it accordingly.

But yet, not a single person reported him. I went back and looked. You know who reported him? DJ, when he asked that his thread be closed. See what I am saying here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticojpunk

I can say personally, that as I kept reading on, I felt like it wasn't my place to report him. I can't tell you why, and maybe that's simply the wrong attitude. We all need to take responsibility for things we see we feel are out of place. I think a lot of people, like me, take the "better to not get in the middle of the drama" approach. But I often forget that simply reporting a post isn't fueling the drama. If it turns out the report was unfounded, no big deal, but if the mods can take notice of something before it gets out of hand, perhaps they can take action to nip it in the bud.

Very good point. I'm going to make it a point in the future to take more responsibility when a thread takes a turn that I feel is counterproductive. Maybe if I and a few other people had actually reported the nonsense in that recent thread I was referring too, we would still be having a nice friendly conversation about a great ROM.


And yet another great point!
I'm also guilty of being reluctant to use the report feature, but I will start.
I'll try to be nice 1st, then I'm reporting them.
Last edited by jangst123; 7th February 2013 at 04:58 PM.
7th February 2013, 05:01 PM   |  #30  
mt3g's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 3,130
 
6,932 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
Re: Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer
I am now reporting anything I see as a possible fire starter in lot of threads. I reported 2 last night. One that the persons post was completely ignored. Second was, well I haven't made my way to that section yet this morning... But woody is right there is a report button and instead of telling the person off or bashing them for them trolling and trying to start drama, just push the report button. It'll save the drama and make the mods life's easier also.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mt3g For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
be nice, do not provoke the trolls, mods are here for you, no flaming, posting ediquette, proper posting, use the report button, woody is awesome
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes