Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,016 Members 51,646 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer

Tip us?

Aerowinder
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1191
Default Re: Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer

The idea looks good on paper, but in practice it would be abused to no end.

If people have power they will abuse it. Especially on the internet.

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror

c683
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post

I hear ya and you're right, that's not even just likely, but probably more of a for sure thing! But at least the "power" would only be for their own thread, the same thread they can request to be shutdown by a mod, and then that would be for everyone!

TonyStark
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by c683 View Post
As you can see, while I have been a member for little bit, I don’t really post much. I just mainly peruse a few of the main ROM threads and do some occasional flashing. With that said, I don’t know all the rules and what an OP can or can’t do with their own thread, maybe this has already been posted, but would it be possible for the OP to have full control over the thread they created? For example, A dev is kind enough to share his/her work with others and starts a ROM thread, things are positive then “user B” comes in and starts causing trouble or offending the dev, the dev then decides there is no place for that in their thread and blocks that user from their thread. So then, user B PM’s the dev, “Hey dev, why did you block me, I apologize if my comments came off as offensive and will be more constructive in the future”, dev says “ok, it’s all good” and allows them back. Human nature, if you know it is that easy to lose access to something you want, you will think twice before making rude comments.

Now I know we don’t need any more egos or power trips but what is better, closing a thread for everyone or just blocking a few from the thread that have been causing trouble.

I also know a Mod can essentially do this but it is a little different I think. Again, just a random thought while working and apologize if this has already been posted or is not even realistic. If that is the case, I am another user guilty of clutter and useless posts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder View Post

^^ agreed

The unfortunate situation is this, there are a few Devs that have gone rogue from time to time as well. The Mods are there to intervene and help maintain the peace. The recourse for anybody to use was linked in Woods post above. This has been proven to work extremely well, if utilized. It is truly as simple as that... along w/ some patience

The Following User Says Thank You to TonyStark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8627
Hard to believe that this thread was pushed down to page 3. Well, not really since there are a ton of Questions in the General which I'll be taking care of here in a minute.

Thread is now Stuck.
Use it. Link to it. Be responsible for it.

Otherwise, you could all be on stock TWiz once all the Devs leave.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TonyStark
Old
(Last edited by TonyStark; 11th February 2013 at 09:55 PM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Hard to believe that this thread was pushed down to page 3. Well, not really since there are a ton of Questions in the General which I'll be taking care of here in a minute.

Thread is now Stuck.
Use it. Link to it. Be responsible for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyStark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jangst123
Old
(Last edited by jangst123; 12th February 2013 at 04:10 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 879

Quick rant as to why many of the users get mad when people don't follow the rules!

It's not just the fact that it clutters the developers thread!

Many of us have instant email notification set on our favorite threads.
When we are working and get 20 useless notifications we get a bit mad.
We have instant notifications on to see when our favorite threads are updated and to help users that run into issues.
Often waiting to see when a Developer has released an update!
Not to read 20 people upset because a release was delayed, or because some ungrateful user did not read the OP or take the time to even try to help himself.

So every time you post, you may be spamming a lot of people that were hoping the next email notification would be the developer posting the latest release.

If you want to know when the latest update comes out, I suggest you try the instant notification feature and have some patients.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
Posting Etiquette - Don't Anger a Developer

LOGCAT like a Pro!

Lend a hand, learn to LOGCAT!!

[REF] What will Not work on ROOTed Phones / Work Around

Galaxy S IV Rockin Infamous!
Galaxy S III [ROM] AOKP or Infamous
Samsung Galaxy SII AOKP and DARKSIDE
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Android Open Kang Project

Give back to XDA and Donate to XDA and your favorite developer!

mike.r.olson
Old
(Last edited by mike.r.olson; 12th February 2013 at 04:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 225
I know most people think this and I'm sorry if this is a pointless post in this thread, I'm just trying to express my 2 cents.

Developers that choose to share their work on XDA are special. They get to create a share-worthy ROM, or kernel, or app, or theme and they get to create a new thread to share their contribution with everybody. Before they get to post that thread though, they get to rigorously test their contribution on their phone (with the risk of potentially ruining their devices), then they get to make sure they adhere to GPL. They then get to make sure they haven't done any work that could be potentially be accused of a KANG. They then get to make a new thread in the Development, Original Development, or Themes & Apps threads. They then get to answer questions, suggestions, and sadly sometimes, demands from people who are only on XDA because they took the time to create an account and answer to a CAPTCHA. Guess what though; they do this for free. They do it because of the spirit of Android, the spirit of development, and the spirit of sharing. Most of these developers ask only for a click on a "Thanks" button. Some will direct you to a donate button, but (extremely) rarely will any developer demand a donation. (Also, that is a violation of the XDA guidelines.)

Now before I end my post, I want to admit that I'm one of the XDA users that is only here because I took the time to create an account and got lucky on the CAPTCHA. I have zero development experience, I've never created a ROM, or a kernel, or a theme, or even an app. The extent of my Android experience is being able to unzip a ROM, remove unwanted APKs, reZIP it, and flash it. The thing is, I know I'm running an unofficial, unsupported version of that ROM and I won't knock the developer if I have undesirable results from flashing my new "custom" ZIP file. I also won't share that ZIP and claim that it's MIKE.R.OLSON.ROM.

Long story short: Thank you a million times over to any, any, ANY developer that decides to share their contribution with the XDA community. While there are a few that make it difficult, I just hope that I've said what most of us are thinking.

Thanks again developers and thanks again XDA.
deejaymikey on IRC
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mike.r.olson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DigitalUnderground
Old
Thanks Meter 2255

[QUOTE=mike.r.olson;37881391[/QUOTE]

2 cents? More like $11.59 lol. Long winded but well put

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DigitalUnderground For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AppzTheGawd
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default eta's

Haven't even been here long but the amount of eta ?'s I've seen is crazy ... everyone has a life... kind of.

Qverse
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenious247 View Post
Some of the blame also falls back on the users who do know what they are doing, because instead of helping educate the less-than-friendly user they actually post responses than incite even more anger leading to that user feeling like they are being "jumped" per se.

Really this falls back on the xda community as a whole, I know I've posted things before that could have been worded in a way that would have better served the user and the community, instead of my own cynicism or ego.. none of us are perfect, that includes the Devs.
Thank you I agree bro some responses are less-than-friendly or helping educate.. +1
LG G2 ROOTED 32gB D801 ROM: Stock Modded D80120E.kdz
Why? because it worked to get WiFi calling back
Rooted and then AutoRec

DeBloated
Lil tHis and ThAt
32gb
Mods
Xdabbeb's Camera/Video v3.1.0

Tags
be nice, do not provoke the trolls, mods are here for you, no flaming, posting ediquette, proper posting, use the report button, woody is awesome