Media capabilities?

OP kyrue

6th February 2013, 07:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
It would be nice to use this for Netflix and Youtube. I also want to stream video files from my PC to the Ouya via PS3 Media Server or something similar. I imagine Netflix and Youtube will be easy, but what about streaming from the PC?
6th February 2013, 08:58 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I'm interested too, though more of what kind of media it's able to play. My camera takes 'AVCHD 2.0' video, which is 1080p/60, which is 1080p video at 60 frames per second at a bitrate of about 28mbps.

I'm wondering if the OUYA would be capable of playing this. The PS3 apparently isn't, since it stutters when I tried to play the video's in it. It would be nice if the OUYA could, but I have my doubts.
6th February 2013, 09:13 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
More
Wouldn't worry about media playback or streaming.
http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/0...-ouya-oh-yeah/
6th February 2013, 09:18 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

91 posts
More
XBMC is the #1 reason I got the OUYA
6th February 2013, 02:28 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

37 posts
The Tegra 3 devices I have used have all been able to play 1080p video wirelessly, though not through SMB.

I use serviio on the host PCs and bubble upnp on the devices. With bubble upnp you won't even have to touch the OUYA controls. You can browse videos through your phone and will push the video to the OUYA.

Using the OUYA as a dedicated media player is the number one reason I want one.

RE 1080p/60: I would probably say no, but have not tested it.
Last edited by v4nt0m; 6th February 2013 at 03:17 PM.
6th February 2013, 05:44 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFaultx

XBMC is the #1 reason I got the OUYA

+1
ouya will be perfect for this
6th February 2013, 05:55 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 10

123 posts
More
The main issue with OUYA is that all existing android apps will have to be reworked to support controller/remote input

I dont think the Touch pad on the controller is going to cut it. The creator of the Mupen64 emulator sent me this:

"While originally this was planned as a separate port, having looked at the ODK more closely I've discovered that it can be pipelined inside a single APK. So the Google Play version will in fact include the OUYA port (it is now technically an expansion of the project rather than a port).

That said, there are quite a unique requirements when developing for the OUYA compared to vanilla Android. The most immediate are the lack of a touch screen for menu interfaces such as button mapping (touchpad workaround being awkward and slow), lack of Home and Back buttons on the controllers (OUYA simulating Back with a non-standard keycode), lack of a standard Android action bar and menu overflow button, and serious graphics overscan to name the big ones). Had I not purchased a devkit and actually looked into optimizing the app for the OUYA at all, the Google Play version would certainly not have worked well on the OUYA because of these problems. The most serious concerns would have been no way to access the in-game menu options for things like save-state or load-state, extremely tedious mapping the controllers, and borders of the screen being cut off."
6th February 2013, 08:18 PM   |  #8  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 180

961 posts
More
I go with the above. You can extract an APK and install on Ouya and will more than likely run. The issue is more, will Ouya input controllers allow one to move around the system or within the apps. Maybe trying something like Sixaxias Controller app and controller may give some indication.

As for the rest, it'll be about the apps. I don't thin PS3Server will work since that is DNLA, and I don't believe Ouya is going to have DNLA. But something like XBMC or Plex should work for media distribution. For direct media playback, If you can find a way to navigate, something like Mobo Player, BS Player, or VLC Android should work.
7th February 2013, 12:17 AM   |  #9  
Flag Boston, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 40

121 posts
More
Wink
---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrROBschiz

The main issue with OUYA is that all existing android apps will have to be reworked to support controller/remote input

I dont think the Touch pad on the controller is going to cut it. The creator of the Mupen64 emulator sent me this:

"While originally this was planned as a separate port, having looked at the ODK more closely I've discovered that it can be pipelined inside a single APK. So the Google Play version will in fact include the OUYA port (it is now technically an expansion of the project rather than a port).

That said, there are quite a unique requirements when developing for the OUYA compared to vanilla Android. The most immediate are the lack of a touch screen for menu interfaces such as button mapping (touchpad workaround being awkward and slow), lack of Home and Back buttons on the controllers (OUYA simulating Back with a non-standard keycode), lack of a standard Android action bar and menu overflow button, and serious graphics overscan to name the big ones). Had I not purchased a devkit and actually looked into optimizing the app for the OUYA at all, the Google Play version would certainly not have worked well on the OUYA because of these problems. The most serious concerns would have been no way to access the in-game menu options for things like save-state or load-state, extremely tedious mapping the controllers, and borders of the screen being cut off."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy

I go with the above. You can extract an APK and install on Ouya and will more than likely run. The issue is more, will Ouya input controllers allow one to move around the system or within the apps. Maybe trying something like Sixaxias Controller app and controller may give some indication.

As for the rest, it'll be about the apps. I don't thin PS3Server will work since that is DNLA, and I don't believe Ouya is going to have DNLA. But something like XBMC or Plex should work for media distribution. For direct media playback, If you can find a way to navigate, something like Mobo Player, BS Player, or VLC Android should work.

My bro has an xperia play, and he can use the controls to select and move around. I think that's how its going to work. When you connect a controller to your droid you can still move around using the controls some apps don't work but allot do with the controller or you can you use certain apps to "force" it to work. Plus it has a usb 2.0 port so you can use a mouse to operate it and if you want to connect more i have good feeling a usb modular hub like this one will do the job:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-4-Port-H...pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Give it a launcher and it lives
7th March 2013, 02:28 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 288

1,692 posts
Re: Media capabilities?
Many other software can read any media file ( MxPlayer, Vplayer ... )

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer TF101 avec Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread