Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC Windows Phone 8X Screen Repair Take Apart Guide

OP repairsuniverse

6th February 2013, 07:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 764

624 posts
The RepairsUniverse team has put together a take apart repair guide for replacing various parts on your Windows Phone HTC 8X. In this guide you will learn the steps to properly take your HTC smartphone apart safely. Repair nearly any internal component on your Windows Phone HTC 8X using this detailed repair guide.

This guide will help you to install the following Windows Phone HTC 8X part(s):

HTC Windows Phone 8X Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
HTC Windows Phone 8X LCD Replacement

Tools required:

Safe open pry tool
Small Phillips Screwdriver
Adhesive strips

Windows Phone HTC 8X Screen Repair Guide:

You want to begin by applying heat to around the surface edges of the device for about 15-20 seconds on each side. You can use a hot blow dryer or a heat gun.
Next you will need to use the safe open pry tool and begin separating the screen assembly from the frame of the device as shown below.

Once you have properly separated the front of the phone from the device you will need to disconnect 3 Flex ribbon connections that are holding the device together.

After these connections have been released the front screen assembly can be removed from the back housing frame of the device.

Next you will need to turn the screen assembly (screen facing down) with the mother board facing you.

Using a small Phillips screw driver, you can begin removing 12 screws from around the edges of the screen assembly.

Once these screws have been removed you can begin disconnecting the Flex ribbon cables and Antenna flex cables (5 total).

The LCD and the Touch screen digitizer are held in by a jaw connector that can be lifted to release the ribbon.

The two antenna flex cables can simply be pulled out and the Key pad flex cable is a pop connection that can be released using a safe open pry tool.

You can now remove the motherboard.

Once the motherboard has been removed you can remove the upper back frame.

Now that the back housing and mother board have been removed, you can release the second connections of the antenna flex cables.

There are 2 small flex ribbons that will need to be released on the left and right side on top of the green mainboard.

Next you want to move the vibrating motor (next to the camera) out of the way so you can remove the upper mainboard.

Next step is to remove the ear jack and ear piece speaker.

You can now remove the battery and once you have done so you will have one more antenna cable to release and remove.

Last step is to remove the charging connector and the home button from the upper part of the device.

You can now replace the damaged screen for the Windows Phone HTC 8X.

Notice:

Repairs Universe's guides are for*informational purposes only.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st March 2013, 07:19 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Super informative
Very informative guide. Thanks a lot.

Under required tools, adhesive strips are listed. What kind of adhesive is needed? Size of strip? & where should the adhesive be applied?

Know you have my thanks.
21st March 2013, 08:37 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
I have dne it
Hey,
I have completly teared down my 8X to fix the broken glass. Changed LCD+Glass Combo.

Worked for almost one day. now it just wont start up again :/
It vibrates by pressing power button
25th March 2013, 06:44 PM   |  #4  

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b14ckroses

Hey,
I have completly teared down my 8X to fix the broken glass. Changed LCD+Glass Combo.

Worked for almost one day. now it just wont start up again :/
It vibrates by pressing power button

Was your battery low ? I've had pretty much the same problems - it turned out that the stock cable that cable with the phone was rubbish and the phone didn't charge up properly - the solution I came with was using a Nokia micro-usb cable - leave the phone to charge for 45-60 minutes and then try to turn it on if it doesn't do that automatically.
27th April 2013, 10:07 PM   |  #5  
Flag Mansfield UK
Thanks Meter: 9

121 posts
More
Hi. Can someone make motherboard pictures? I replaced screen but I lost idea how to connect coaxial cables.( got picture but i lost it)
Phone awaiting for being assembled to housing but I want avoid mistakes and tear it down again( hard job)
Or you know how to connect them maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130427_210801.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	1917117  
Last edited by robdevil; 27th April 2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Picture
27th April 2013, 11:32 PM   |  #6  

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdevil

Hi. Can someone make motherboard pictures? I replaced screen but I lost idea how to connect coaxial cables.( got picture but i lost it)
Phone awaiting for being assembled to housing but I want avoid mistakes and tear it down again( hard job)
Or you know how to connect them maybe?

Yeah, the attached picture is acurate. You appear to be missing the cage which secures the camera and boards in place. The 8x is designed with stacks. One board sits on top another, connected by two ribbons. Then those the lower charging board which is laid atop the lower portion of the device rests inside the back housing. It's really not complicated.

As you say, it's just very hard. Also the back housing is very tough to get flush. I advise using a case to minimize the slight elevation from digitizer to housing.

The long coax needs to be tucked underneath the ribbon and behind the gray prongs. The long coax should be nesting right alongside the length of the battery. This phone is a huge pain to fix. You should know that by now.
30th April 2013, 01:04 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 11

63 posts
Any luck adding Wireless charging using this guide?
30th April 2013, 01:01 PM   |  #8  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 5

85 posts
Or "bigger" battery ?
3rd May 2013, 04:00 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

201 posts
More
Exclamation Origin of replacement difitizers and where to get replacement adhesive
Unfortunately, I am also amongst the unfortunate ones who have their 8X screen broken.
I decided to so a DIY repair, because I had success at doing such DIY replacements in the past on my previous HTC phone's. I am aware that it is quite difficult to work on the 8x though.

What I am concerned about is the quality of replacement parts. Where do these eBay suppliers get the replacement parts from anyway? I'm expecting to find a genuine, HTC manufactured lcd+digitizer combo with real Gorilla glass and same LCD panel, but heard that a lot of these replacements, even though sellers claim them to be genuine, are in fact inferior to the original parts, which really worries me. One of the sellers explained to me: "it is HTC manufactured OEM , but not with real gorilla glass" and then added "I am sorry, the supplier tell me the glass is not real gorilla. so I reply to you". There's no way I'm going to buy such a fake part.. Another seller, when asked, described his item: "Hi, this item is oem product make for HTC 8x. and used the original Material to assembly this item as the HTC product. of course i will test the item first and only the item work in good conditons then i will send it to my customer. Thank you!", but it still worries me - I'm not too confident the seller actually knows what OEM stands for.
Any ideas on this?

Also, as a side question, I was wondering, where do you get the replacement glue from? I heard they come in some strips.
17th June 2013, 01:42 AM   |  #10  

85 posts
so I got the mainboard out of the case, but I ripped a cable. I have attached a couple pics. could someone please tell me what ribbon I ripped and what I can do about it? or is it a loss? thanks. I attached two pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1095
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	2048341   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	2048342  

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags