[Guide] Quick And Dirty Return to 100% Stock for Evo 3D/V (S-OFF Only)

Search This thread

rafylora1230

Mar 22, 2013
my bootloader shows juopunutbear it doesnt say locked or unlocked, does this mean im locked should i just skip step 1

dR.BaNaNe

Jan 20, 2012
thank you very much, worked fine:)

foto20130408104238em.jpg

now i can get my phone repeared cause of my warrenty is back :D !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ramjet73

rafylora1230

Mar 22, 2013
everytime i put in the command to s-on on cmd on my computer it says not recognized what i do i have to put in

bayigile

Feb 10, 2012
ramjet...is there any possibilities to use your method with S-ON? I try your method and my device cannot boot...and it's a little bit difficult for me to make S-OFF again with ICS...lot of tutorial here only for GB...

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
ramjet...is there any possibilities to use your method with S-ON? I try your method and my device cannot boot...and it's a little bit difficult for me to make S-OFF again with ICS...lot of tutorial here only for GB...
You could try the Ultimate Recovery Tool by unknownforce to get S-OFF.

The best you can do with S-ON is to relock the bootloader and run to RUU for your phone. You won't be able to get the bootloader status back to "locked" without getting S-OFF.

ramjet73

bayigile

Feb 10, 2012
You could try the Ultimate Recovery Tool by unknownforce to get S-OFF.

The best you can do with S-ON is to relock the bootloader and run to RUU for your phone. You won't be able to get the bootloader status back to "locked" without getting S-OFF.

ramjet73

so I have to :

1. unlock the bootloader
2.install the custom recovery
3. root (?)
4.and make the bootloader S-OFF with Ultimate Recovery Tool

btw I already use official RUU...not custom ROM anymore...

thank you

nhutpham

Jul 1, 2010
I'm having problems using the query_bootloader.zip and the lock_bootloader.zip, they both give me errors flashing through 4ext.

I get:

WRONG OPERATION!E:Error in /sdcard/.../query_bootloader.zip
(Status 1)

I tried downloading them both a couple times, same thing for both.

I'm on Sprint's Evo3D. Any advice?

Also, I'm moving to Oahu next month, any word on how Sprint is over there ramjet?

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm having problems using the query_bootloader.zip and the lock_bootloader.zip, they both give me errors flashing through 4ext.

I get:

WRONG OPERATION!E:Error in /sdcard/.../query_bootloader.zip
(Status 1)

I tried downloading them both a couple times, same thing for both.

I'm on Sprint's Evo3D. Any advice?

Also, I'm moving to Oahu next month, any word on how Sprint is over there ramjet?
Are you S-OFF? They will only work with S-OFF.

Also, try opening the zip files and make sure you can see the update-binary OK. That's really all there is in each zip file.

Sprint's coverage on Oahu is OK, but there's only WiMax and no 4G at all.

ramjet73

Reactions: nhutpham

nhutpham

Jul 1, 2010
My bootloader shows as S-OFF.

I tried opening the zips and they seem totally find to me. I'm really not sure what's wrong here.
These can be flashed from the sdcard, correct?

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
My bootloader shows as S-OFF.

I tried opening the zips and they seem totally find to me. I'm really not sure what's wrong here.
These can be flashed from the sdcard, correct?
Yes, it sounds like there's something wrong with your SD card.

You can try doing the scan/repair function from a PC and if that doesn't work I suggest backing it up and formatting it then restoring the contents and try copying those files again. Or if you have another SD card you could try that.

ramjet73

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra
i really dont understand.
people should make a real good guide that involves htc-dev unlock AND "non htc-unlock"

almost all threads/topics that tell you how to root/unlock/s-off start from htc-dev unlock code.

i have stock firmware 2.95.651.6 (no root, no s-off) and i can not get the htc-dev unlock_code to take on this phone
it says its successful when i give the fastboot flash command but the phone does not have the pop-up splash screen like my other cdma evo-3d's did.
so what do people do at this point????

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
people should make a real good guide that involves htc-dev unlock AND "non htc-unlock"

almost all threads/topics that tell you how to root/unlock/s-off start from htc-dev unlock code.

i have stock firmware 2.95.651.6 (no root, no s-off) and i can not get the htc-dev unlock_code to take on this phone
it says its successful when i give the fastboot flash command but the phone does not have the pop-up splash screen like my other cdma evo-3d's did.

bump

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC

Well I actually have such a thread for an earlier version (2.89) of the stock software. Here is the gist of what is likely wrong.
Sometimes the unlock code fails at step 13 for some unknown/undocumented reason and won't work until you are able to locate and reflash the full Ruu for the currently installed (2.95.651.6) or newer version. Then the unlock will work. The catch is no one has access to a full 2.95.651.6 file except the sprint shop or HTC.
You have a few options:
- Contact HTC support and request assist with the unlock.
- Take it to sprint store and see if they will reflash the full ruu.
- Go to the jbear website and try the latest linux version of their unlock software.
- try the last version of Hboot Downgrade/unlock from Unknowforce linked from a few posts back that has worked for others.

Sent from my Up all Night Sleep all Day Nexus 5!

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Well I actually have such a thread for an earlier version (2.89) of the stock software. Here is the gist of what is likely wrong.
Sometimes the unlock code fails at step 13 for some unknown/undocumented reason and won't work until you are able to locate and reflash the full Ruu for the currently installed (2.95.651.6) or newer version. Then the unlock will work. The catch is no one has access to a full 2.95.651.6 file except the sprint shop or HTC.
You have a few options:
- Contact HTC support and request assist with the unlock.
- Take it to sprint store and see if they will reflash the full ruu.
- Go to the jbear website and try the latest linux version of their unlock software.
- try the last version of Hboot Downgrade/unlock from Unknowforce linked from a few posts back that has worked for others.

Sent from my Up all Night Sleep all Day Nexus 5!

contacted htc support 4-5days ago. they sent me an email saying they will get back with me in 5-10 business days.
no sprint store within 50 miles of me
2.95.651.6 has been out for a bit (and yep there is no ruu for it) that is why i need the help.

can someone make a descent guide to downgrade stock 2.95.651.6 to a lesser ruu so we can again take the OTA of 2.95.651.6 just so we can try to unlock through htcdev the official way?
please include the version of software that is used and enviroment

i wouldnt make this request but there are tons of people with this same exact problem and no one seems to be able to provide some detail instructions on how to actually do it
from the research i have read people are bricking their phones because of this.

some people just say try this and try that but alot of us are not as advanced as others or some of us just switched to this phone and know nothing about it.
if it was a motorola droid-x, samsung s2, samsung s3 or iphone 3gs i would be good to go
i have been doing alot of reading and really to get done what im trying to do there really is no guide for this
thanks

ps
im not wanting to root or s-off for a custom rom
i just want to reflash the OTA 2.95.651.6 ruu because i want to unlock through htcdev
from there maybe i will do something else after but one step at a time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems like the questions about returning to 100% stock are coming up more often lately, possibly because more users are moving on to other devices. Whatever the reason, I thought a simple guide might be useful to avoid having to duplicate this info in other threads and PM's.

This procedure should work for any CDMA or GSM Evo 3D/V that is S-OFF. There is no way to get an S-ON device that has been HTC unlocked back to 100% stock since relocking the bootloader will result in a status of "relocked".

Here are the steps to do it:

1. Flash the "query_bootloader.zip" file attached to this post in recovery. If the status message shows your bootloader is "unlocked" or "relocked" flash the "lock_bootloader.zip" file from the same post to reset it to "locked".

2. Download an RUU.exe (Windows) or RUU.zip (bootloader) file for your model from this page and flash it using the appropriate method.

If you use the .exe version from Windows it works best if you put the phone into "fastboot USB" mode, and you may have to cancel the RUU utility and restart if it hangs after flashing the stock bootloader when you start with a custom hboot installed.

To flash the RUU.zip via the bootloader it must be renamed to PG86IMG.zip and placed in the root of your SD card, and may need to be flashed twice if a custom hboot is installed the first time it is flashed.

I recommend using the latest version for your model but any compatible RUU can be flashed while S-OFF. It's also a good idea to boot the ROM without doing any setup after flashing the RUU to make sure the ROM has been reset to the stock version.

3. Confirm that the bootloader shows "***LOCKED***" on the top line of the screen and the HBOOT version is a stock bootloader for your device.

4. Issue the "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" command from a PC.
    Note: Make 100% sure you have the stock bootloader installed before issuing this command or you will brick your phone.

Your phone will now be 100% stock.

ramjet73
    Thanks for the nice toturial but i´m just wondering one thing.
    If you fail with the command
    Code:
    fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
    , will your phone get hardbricked or is it possible to flash a recovery and start over again with fastboot?
    If that command fails nothing will happen and your phone will stay S-OFF but the odds of that happening are very small unless your phone is not in "fastboot usb" mode when you issue it.

The risk involves issuing that command when you have a custom hboot like JBear or Revolutionary installed because those bootloaders are not signed and will cause the phone to brick. In that scenario you would not be able to get into recovery.

ramjet73
    Ok, in the RUU's I can download I have 2 problems:

1) How do I know which one to download? I see a few that have Sprint ICS. I have the Virgin Mobile phone Evo V 4g. Which one would I get?
    This is the correct RUU for your phone.
    2) I have already tried downloading a few of them, and each time it stops at a different point and windows says the zip file is not valid. Is there another place I can download the correct RUU?
    If that link doesn't work for you the same RUU is available here, including an MD5 checksum you can use to verify the download.
    I need to get this done soon as I have a replacement headed this way.
    if you figure out how to get jb roms to boot post back so we all can know how

JB roms don't boot with this phone??? Strange since mine booted just fine with them.
    Does it work for EVO 3D GSM with Revolutionary?

Sorry for my english.
    Probably not, since ramjet said that in the OP.
    If he has Revolutionary and is S-OFF this guide should work as long as the RUU is available for the model of his phone. That's the only thing that is specific to the GSM or CDMA model.

ramjet73