FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Announced: Specs, Price and Details

The OnePlus 2 has just had its Virtual Reality Launch event, and at the XDA Office we all … more

A Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services

With the launch of Apple Music, music streaming services have recently gained a lot of … more

An Inside Look at the Redesign of Business Calendar

The much-acclaimed calendar app, Business Calendar, underwent a major design … more

New Android One Device Dead On Arrival

Today, Google announced the second generation of Android One devices, with the new Lava Pixel … more

Considering a Surface RT

53 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
 
By Mikeparakh, Member on 8th February 2013, 04:22 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
12th February 2013, 09:20 PM |#21  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge2k

I have the Asus VIVO Tab RT which uses same OS. I love it as an ultra portable tablet/laptop but one thing I really hate is the browser. I just hate IE10 on Windows 8/Windows RT and wish Chrome or Firefox would release a browser for RT.

Does it not give you a browser option as other versions of windows does after first software update?
 
 
12th February 2013, 11:55 PM |#22  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,864
 
More
None of the other major browsers have been ported to Windows RT yet. I'm working on a port of Chromium, but it's difficult; the parts of the code that are ARM-specific were never meant to compile either on or for Windows.
13th February 2013, 07:28 AM |#23  
Senior Member
Flag Warrington
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
UC BrowserHD is worth checking out.
13th February 2013, 06:31 PM |#24  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
can surface pro run BO2? any one tried playing any games on it?
13th February 2013, 08:35 PM |#25  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,864
 
More
"Can it run..." is obviously going to be yes. Playability is another question, though; Intel HD4000 graphics are low-end for gaming. You might get acceptable perf if you turn settings down enough. Seriously though, it's basically just a laptop with a Core i5 CPU and Intel integrated graphics, but in a really small form factor. It can run anything that a normal laptop of the same specs could run.

Also, yes, there has been some discussion of gaming on them already. Read before posting, please.

Finally, this thread is about Surface RT, not Surface Pro. Why did you post here? There are other threads for discussing the Pro.
13th February 2013, 08:39 PM |#26  
swbf2lord's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South Carolina
Thanks Meter: 42
 
Donate to Me
More
Re: Considering a Surface RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

"Can it run..." is obviously going to be yes. Playability is another question, though; Intel HD4000 graphics are low-end for gaming. You might get acceptable perf if you turn settings down enough. Seriously though, it's basically just a laptop with a Core i5 CPU and Intel integrated graphics, but in a really small form factor. It can run anything that a normal laptop of the same specs could run.

Also, yes, there has been some discussion of gaming on them already. Read before posting, please.

Finally, this thread is about Surface RT, not Surface Pro. Why did you post here? There are other threads for discussing the Pro.

Unfortunately though, it's not quite as powerful as a laptop i5. If I'm not mistaken it's an i5 3317U which is less powerful than a laptop i5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
13th February 2013, 08:42 PM |#27  
OP Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Has anyone got any live football streams on their surface? I'm trying to get the myp2p.pe links working to watch premier league games, but cant seem to get them to work, even with the links added to the flash white list thing?
14th February 2013, 05:57 AM |#28  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2lord

Unfortunately though, it's not quite as powerful as a laptop i5. If I'm not mistaken it's an i5 3317U which is less powerful than a laptop i5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's for sure I have a desktop running i5 processor, 2.8 GHZ quad core (up to 30 watts TDP) while most ultrabooks/ tablet will only be clocked at 1.7Ghz with dual core (17 watts TDP).
15th February 2013, 01:32 PM |#29  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi Guys

I'm planning to buy a surface rt. I also tested it in the local store here in Germany and really liked it. But i have a few question at you, the surface rt owner before i buy one.

1.I often take photo's with an DSLR in Raw format and was wondering if the surface can display this format? I dont consider to do photo editing, this is something for my desktop PC at Home. But if I am on a trip it would be really helpfull to look at all the raw photos on a bigger screen instead of the display from the camera.

2.Is the playback from MKV files still a problem? is there a player in the m-store which can play them or even the standard video player?

3.And what exaclty is this touchDown app, which is shown in another Thread. Dont heard of it at all.

4.Are you happy with your surface and do you miss x86 programs?

Thank You for your replies
15th February 2013, 02:07 PM |#30  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_atto

4.Are you happy with your surface and do you miss x86 programs?

I don't use the surface RT in settings where I need x86 programs. This seems to be one of the keys to happiness - don't expect it to do things it can't do.
15th February 2013, 02:12 PM |#31  
Senior Member
Flag Warrington
Thanks Meter: 31
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_atto

Hi Guys

I'm planning to buy a surface rt. I also tested it in the local store here in Germany and really liked it. But i have a few question at you, the surface rt owner before i buy one.

1.I often take photo's with an DSLR in Raw format and was wondering if the surface can display this format? I dont consider to do photo editing, this is something for my desktop PC at Home. But if I am on a trip it would be really helpfull to look at all the raw photos on a bigger screen instead of the display from the camera.

2.Is the playback from MKV files still a problem? is there a player in the m-store which can play them or even the standard video player?

3.And what exaclty is this touchDown app, which is shown in another Thread. Dont heard of it at all.

4.Are you happy with your surface and do you miss x86 programs?

Thank You for your replies

I use Mobile.HD for MKV files and not had a problem with the few videos I've tried. Plays flawlessly and no stutter at all.

Being able to run x86 would be nice just so I could have more choice of games as there's barely anything decent out for RT at the moment. Hopefully this will change as the RT matures.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, microsoft, nexus 10, surface rt, tablet
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes