Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Considering a Surface RT

Tip us?

mikegadd
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge2k View Post
I have the Asus VIVO Tab RT which uses same OS. I love it as an ultra portable tablet/laptop but one thing I really hate is the browser. I just hate IE10 on Windows 8/Windows RT and wish Chrome or Firefox would release a browser for RT.
Does it not give you a browser option as other versions of windows does after first software update?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
None of the other major browsers have been ported to Windows RT yet. I'm working on a port of Chromium, but it's difficult; the parts of the code that are ARM-specific were never meant to compile either on or for Windows.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

DagsJT
Old
Thanks Meter 31
UC BrowserHD is worth checking out.

seesunmoon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
can surface pro run BO2? any one tried playing any games on it?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
"Can it run..." is obviously going to be yes. Playability is another question, though; Intel HD4000 graphics are low-end for gaming. You might get acceptable perf if you turn settings down enough. Seriously though, it's basically just a laptop with a Core i5 CPU and Intel integrated graphics, but in a really small form factor. It can run anything that a normal laptop of the same specs could run.

Also, yes, there has been some discussion of gaming on them already. Read before posting, please.

Finally, this thread is about Surface RT, not Surface Pro. Why did you post here? There are other threads for discussing the Pro.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

swbf2lord
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Considering a Surface RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
"Can it run..." is obviously going to be yes. Playability is another question, though; Intel HD4000 graphics are low-end for gaming. You might get acceptable perf if you turn settings down enough. Seriously though, it's basically just a laptop with a Core i5 CPU and Intel integrated graphics, but in a really small form factor. It can run anything that a normal laptop of the same specs could run.

Also, yes, there has been some discussion of gaming on them already. Read before posting, please.

Finally, this thread is about Surface RT, not Surface Pro. Why did you post here? There are other threads for discussing the Pro.
Unfortunately though, it's not quite as powerful as a laptop i5. If I'm not mistaken it's an i5 3317U which is less powerful than a laptop i5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Current Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Previous Device(s): Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 3, Motorola Droid X2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Motorola Droid RAZR, HTC Trophy, Samsung Fascinate, Droid RAZR MAXX, HTC 8X, Motorola Droid RAZR HD
Current Tablet(s): Motorola Xoom
Previous Tablet(s): Acer Iconia Tab A100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff
Trading Phones Is A Disease

Mikeparakh
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Has anyone got any live football streams on their surface? I'm trying to get the myp2p.pe links working to watch premier league games, but cant seem to get them to work, even with the links added to the flash white list thing?

LastBattle
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2lord View Post
Unfortunately though, it's not quite as powerful as a laptop i5. If I'm not mistaken it's an i5 3317U which is less powerful than a laptop i5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
That's for sure I have a desktop running i5 processor, 2.8 GHZ quad core (up to 30 watts TDP) while most ultrabooks/ tablet will only be clocked at 1.7Ghz with dual core (17 watts TDP).

B_atto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi Guys

I'm planning to buy a surface rt. I also tested it in the local store here in Germany and really liked it. But i have a few question at you, the surface rt owner before i buy one.

1.I often take photo's with an DSLR in Raw format and was wondering if the surface can display this format? I dont consider to do photo editing, this is something for my desktop PC at Home. But if I am on a trip it would be really helpfull to look at all the raw photos on a bigger screen instead of the display from the camera.

2.Is the playback from MKV files still a problem? is there a player in the m-store which can play them or even the standard video player?

3.And what exaclty is this touchDown app, which is shown in another Thread. Dont heard of it at all.

4.Are you happy with your surface and do you miss x86 programs?

Thank You for your replies

schettj
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_atto View Post
4.Are you happy with your surface and do you miss x86 programs?
I don't use the surface RT in settings where I need x86 programs. This seems to be one of the keys to happiness - don't expect it to do things it can't do.

Tags
android, microsoft, nexus 10, surface rt, tablet