If you can't find your answer in one of my threads I would highly recommend BluesRulez One Stop FAQ Thread. It is an awesome resource and has answers to just about every question I've seen come up!
This thread details the process of how to root your device without having to flash a full stock ROM. This method works for the Sprint, Boost and Virgin Samsung Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710, SPH-D710BST and SPH-D710VMUB).
This method uses an Odin One-Click Kernel to install a kernel that includes a Custom Recovery. Once booted into the Custom Recovery you can then flash Superuser which will root your phone and give you Superuser access.
- A PC running Windows with the Samsung Mobile Drivers Installed. The Samsung Mobile Drivers are available here.
- Any One-Click Kernel (preferably from the Android version you will be using, i.e. GB, ICS or JB).
All Sprint One-Click Recovery kernels can be found here.
For this particular tutorial I used the following kernels:
Gingerbread: Chris41g's EL26 Stock CWM5 Repack
Ice Cream Sandwich: Agat63's tFI27 Stock Recovery Repack (rev 2)
Jelly Bean: Agat63's Source-Built GB27 Recovery
- Superuser (or SuperSU, MIUI Security, and etc) in a flashable zip, saved on your Internal or External SD Card. For this method I used SuperSU v1.25 (but any SU in a flashable ZIP should work). You can download several different versions here.
- Although not required it is recommended that you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC as well. You can download Samsung Kies here.
- This method will trigger the Yellow Triangle upon start-up and will increase your Odin count.
- It will also change your startup screen to look like the International GS2 startup screen.
Both of these side-effects are very easy to overcome due to the hard work of Chainfire and Garwynn. You can get TriangleAway from Chainfire's thread here.