Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,097 Members 44,661 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUTORIAL] How To Root the Sprint Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710)

Tip us?

rwilco12
Old
(Last edited by rwilco12; 12th February 2014 at 02:05 AM.)
Forum Moderator / AndroidFileHost Rep - OP
Thanks Meter 11338

DONATE TO ME
Sign [TUTORIAL] How To Root the Sprint Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710)

I was recently asked to post some threads here on XDA with the tutorials I have on my site. As time permits I will be posting a series of threads here to the Q&A section that will hopefully answer most questions that might come up.

If you can't find your answer in one of my threads I would highly recommend BluesRulez One Stop FAQ Thread. It is an awesome resource and has answers to just about every question I've seen come up!

This thread details the process of how to root your device without having to flash a full stock ROM. This method works for the Sprint, Boost and Virgin Samsung Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710, SPH-D710BST and SPH-D710VMUB).

This method uses an Odin One-Click Kernel to install a kernel that includes a Custom Recovery. Once booted into the Custom Recovery you can then flash Superuser which will root your phone and give you Superuser access.

Prerequisites:
  • A PC running Windows with the Samsung Mobile Drivers Installed. The Samsung Mobile Drivers are available here.
  • Any One-Click Kernel (preferably from the Android version you will be using, i.e. GB, ICS or JB).
    All Sprint One-Click Recovery kernels can be found here.
    For this particular tutorial I used the following kernels:
    Gingerbread: Chris41g's EL26 Stock CWM5 Repack
    Ice Cream Sandwich: Agat63's tFI27 Stock Recovery Repack (rev 2)
    Jelly Bean: Agat63's Source-Built GB27 Recovery
  • Superuser (or SuperSU, MIUI Security, and etc) in a flashable zip, saved on your Internal or External SD Card.  For this method I used SuperSU v1.25 (but any SU in a flashable ZIP should work). You can download several different versions here.
  • Although not required it is recommended that you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC as well. You can download Samsung Kies here.

Side-Effects:
  • This method will trigger the Yellow Triangle upon start-up and will increase your Odin count.
  • It will also change your startup screen to look like the International GS2 startup screen.
    Both of these side-effects are very easy to overcome due to the hard work of Chainfire and Garwynn. You can get TriangleAway from Chainfire's thread here.
For the rest of the tutorial please visit my site: www.rwilco12.com

Enjoy!

Need an HD wallpaper to match your ROM? Check out Rwilco12's Wallpaper Gallery!
XDA Free Version | Pro Version

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rwilco12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rwilco12
Old
Thanks Meter 11338

DONATE TO ME
Reserved.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rwilco12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kr@zY_J
Old
(Last edited by Kr@zY_J; 9th February 2013 at 01:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1882

DONATE TO ME
First..well 2nd to you!! Awesome work RW ..your time and dedication is GREATLY appreciated my friend!
Rocking my tricked out, X'd out, themed out, "Epic" in the baddest community out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kr@zY_J For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DevonL
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Will any of these methods work with FL24? I'm new to rooting Samsungs and am used to simply rooting via exploits through ADB. I have the phone rooted (temp rooted?) via the exploit in Framaroot and am trying to get a custom recovery installed next to flash a ROM. Thanks!

BluesRulez
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1984
Default Re: [TUTORIAL] How To Root the Sprint Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonL View Post
Will any of these methods work with FL24? I'm new to rooting Samsungs and am used to simply rooting via exploits through ADB. I have the phone rooted (temp rooted?) via the exploit in Framaroot and am trying to get a custom recovery installed next to flash a ROM. Thanks!
Yes it works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app
Think your battery is not performing good on some ROM? Would like to have me test a ROM before you flash it?
Request/Ask here - [Official][ROM List]Battery life-Testing ICS/JB (hands on challenge)
========
Got a question about rooting, flashing rom or anything about this phone?
Ask here - [Official] One Stop FAQ Thread - Noob Friendly (All questions go here)
========
Know whats what of E4GT currently - E4GT - Current State of Affairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluesRulez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KitWasHere
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Does this exe. push the kernel/rom for me to flash automatically, or do I add that to the sdcard before I start?

rwilco12
Old
Thanks Meter 11338

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitWasHere View Post
Does this exe. push the kernel/rom for me to flash automatically, or do I add that to the sdcard before I start?
The Kernel One-Click flashes the kernel and recovery together. They are combined on the E4GT.

The Following User Says Thank You to rwilco12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yogurts
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hey first of thank you for your great work. but Im having issues. Once I reboot ,i had superuser app but nothing has root access. Im wondering what i did wrong. i have sph-d710vmub. Im trying to flash in recovery mode and nothing is working for me. I was told to flash a rooted rom but still anything that i try doing says installation aborted.. Please help;

rwilco12
Old
Thanks Meter 11338

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogurts View Post
hey first of thank you for your great work. but Im having issues. Once I reboot ,i had superuser app but nothing has root access. Im wondering what i did wrong. i have sph-d710vmub. Im trying to flash in recovery mode and nothing is working for me. I was told to flash a rooted rom but still anything that i try doing says installation aborted.. Please help;
You might have to turn SU on depending on which version you flashed. Open the app and see if under settings you see something like "Enable SuperUser" and make sure it's enabled.

If that doesn't fix it we may need to try another zip with a different set of symlinks. Either way, we're here for you and will get you squared away.

yogurts
Old
(Last edited by yogurts; 5th March 2013 at 04:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilco12 View Post
You might have to turn SU on depending on which version you flashed. Open the app and see if under settings you see something like "Enable SuperUser" and make sure it's enabled.

If that doesn't fix it we may need to try another zip with a different set of symlinks. Either way, we're here for you and will get you squared away.
what if flash the rooted stock rom that you have for sph-d710vmub on your website. will that help?. because i am about to flash it.

Ok i installed the rooted stock rom fj12 now i have rooted access. But my phone is asking me for an update. Cam i go ahead and update yes or no.?

Ok nevermind i updated to see what happend and it got me to fl26. No root access again. So im learning the hardway.