5,598,938 Members 31,269 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire 2 completely bricked after flashing wrong bootloader.

Tip us?
 
jophish
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default [Q] Kindle Fire 2 completely bricked after flashing wrong bootloader.

Hi. So the other day I installed TWRP on my Kindle Fire successfully. The KF was at 10.2.6, I'm not sure if that means it's a Kindle Fire 2 or not. Anyways, when I went to flash FFF, I stupidly flashed the .zip as a bootloader, thus making my Kindle Fire completely unusable. When I press the power button, nothing at all happens. Nothing I do will make the screen turn on or the power button to flash in any way. I've tried using Firekit with usbboot and the shorting trick, but that hasn't worked for me. (I just installed stock Ubuntu to a flash drive with the fk file on root, I'm fairly certain that's all that needed to be done?)

Anyways, my Kindle is unresponsove, and the usbboot trick has yet to work for me. I really want to save this guy. I've heard the KF cannot be completely bricked through software/flashing. I hope it's true! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
chris_m128
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 228
Join Date: Sep 2011
if that is your software version then yes you have kindle fire 2, i'd wait for someone with more experience on here to post, but it sounds to me like you are going to need a factory cable
Alien Droid KF2 4.2.2
LG G2 Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Stock
 
jophish
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_m128 View Post
if that is your software version then yes you have kindle fire 2, i'd wait for someone with more experience on here to post, but it sounds to me like you are going to need a factory cable
Thanks fro replying. I'm pretty sure a factory cable only puts it into fastboot if you have a working bootloader. I don't, so I don't think it would work.
 
chris_m128
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 228
Join Date: Sep 2011
I remember an instance where a friend of mine had a broken bootloader, and we used a factory cable to restore it, this was on the kindle fire. we had to first reflash the bootloader. I hope this is possible here.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

but you'll have to ask someone with more experience than me sorry.
Alien Droid KF2 4.2.2
LG G2 Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Stock
 
chronicfathead
Old
#5  
chronicfathead's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 591
Join Date: Mar 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Kindle Fire 2 completely bricked after flashing wrong bootloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish View Post
Hi. So the other day I installed TWRP on my Kindle Fire successfully. The KF was at 10.2.6, I'm not sure if that means it's a Kindle Fire 2 or not. Anyways, when I went to flash FFF, I stupidly flashed the .zip as a bootloader, thus making my Kindle Fire completely unusable. When I press the power button, nothing at all happens. Nothing I do will make the screen turn on or the power button to flash in any way. I've tried using Firekit with usbboot and the shorting trick, but that hasn't worked for me.
I think you need a Factory cable to recover.

If you connect the Kindle to the PC and try adb devices in a terminal window, what do you see?

From the software version, you have KF2, as such you need to use the tools and ROMs from the KF2 threads. You could try to use the one click freedom boot and TWRP installer, to see if you can get that on.

From there you would probably have to push one of the 10.1 ROMs on, or the 10.2.6 recovery image, and then start again.

This seems to be happening a lot, and could be avoided if people read a bit more before using the wrong tools.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD
The Following User Says Thank You to chronicfathead For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jophish
Old
(Last edited by jophish; 10th February 2013 at 07:19 PM.)
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfathead View Post
I think you need a Factory cable to recover.

If you connect the Kindle to the PC and try adb devices in a terminal window, what do you see?

From the software version, you have KF2, as such you need to use the tools and ROMs from the KF2 threads. You could try to use the one click freedom boot and TWRP installer, to see if you can get that on.

Howdy. I just fashioned a factory cable, just jumping +5V to pin 4, right? It seems to be doing absolutely nothing. No lights or anything are turning on. The freedom boot just spits out "error: device not found" and hangs on "Pushing Stack". Again, I was under the impression that the factory cable only made it boot in fastboot if you already have a working bootloader. I'll try loading into Ubuntu and see what it says in terminal. Thanks

EDIT: So, when I type adb devices into terminal, I get:

The program 'adb' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
You will have to enable the component called 'universe'


Could this have been my problem to begin with?

EDIT 2: Well, I installed ADB. There are no devices found when I enter that command, and the shorting trick with still doesn't work. Ugh.
 
chronicfathead
Old
#7  
chronicfathead's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 591
Join Date: Mar 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Kindle Fire 2 completely bricked after flashing wrong bootloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish View Post
Howdy. I just fashioned a factory cable, just jumping +5V to pin 4, right? It seems to be doing absolutely nothing. No lights or anything are turning on. The freedom boot just spits out "error: device not found" and hangs on "Pushing Stack". Again, I was under the impression that the factory cable only made it boot in fastboot if you already have a working bootloader. I'll try loading into Ubuntu and see what it says in terminal. Thanks

EDIT: So, when I type adb devices into terminal, I get:

The program 'adb' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
You will have to enable the component called 'universe'


Could this have been my problem to begin with?

EDIT 2: Well, I installed ADB. There are no devices found when I enter that command, and the shorting trick with still doesn't work. Ugh.
Leave your Kindle plugged in for an hour using the normal cable, as it may be totally flat.

The attached diagram shows what pins need joining. If you can, make sure none of the other pins are shorting.

Hold the power button for 20 seconds, plug in your fastboot cable, power on the Kindle.

You should see some traffic lights on the screen.

If you can get fastboot enabled, you should be able to push the correct partitions back on using the partitions from the factory restore image, your backup files or from the recovery thread. Hope you get it running.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360524974380.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1718397  
The Following User Says Thank You to chronicfathead For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jophish
Old
(Last edited by jophish; 10th February 2013 at 08:06 PM.)
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfathead View Post
Leave your Kindle plugged in for an hour using the normal cable, as it may be totally flat.

The attached diagram shows what pins need joining. If you can, make sure none of the other pins are shorting.

Hold the power button for 20 seconds, plug in your fastboot cable, power on the Kindle.

You should see some traffic lights on the screen.

If you can get fastboot enabled, you should be able to push the correct partitions back on using the partitions from the factory restore image, your backup files or from the recovery thread. Hope you get it running.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD
I tried the fastboot cable out on a working Kindle Fire, and it worked correctly, so I did wire it right. I did as you said, holding the power button down and then plugging in the cable, and nothing happens still on the KF2. I have access to the insides, should I unplug the battery? It should be around 85% charged. Thanks again.

Edit: BIG NEWS~ Not really. When I plug the Kindle Fire with the fastboot cable into Windows, it appears under Device Manager as "Unknown Device" with a yellow triangle, but nothing shows up on the Kindle, no lights or anything. Hmph.
 
chronicfathead
Old
#9  
chronicfathead's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 591
Join Date: Mar 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Kindle Fire 2 completely bricked after flashing wrong bootloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish View Post
I tried the fastboot cable out on a working Kindle Fire, and it worked correctly, so I did wire it right. I did as you said, holding the power button down and then plugging in the cable, and nothing happens still on the KF2. I have access to the insides, should I unplug the battery? It should be around 85% charged. Thanks again.

Edit: BIG NEWS~ Not really. When I plug the Kindle Fire with the fastboot cable into Windows, it appears under Device Manager as "Unknown Device" with a yellow triangle, but nothing shows up on the Kindle, no lights or anything. Hmph.
You could have tried sending it back to Amazon, but you say you have opened it.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD
The Following User Says Thank You to chronicfathead For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jophish
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicfathead View Post
You could have tried sending it back to Amazon, but you say you have opened it.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD

Urgh. I closed it up. Is there any way they'd know if I'd opened it?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes