Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,847 Members 52,927 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What is the 'best/most stable WiFi' Android Stick out there?

Tip us?

k3u
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking What is the 'best/most stable WiFi' Android Stick out there?

To start out, I just purchased a beautiful 60" Panasonic Viera Plasma for $699.99. It has no SmartTV functionality so I thought I would give Google a search about how to bypass this issue. Well, surely enough Android sticks popped up left and right. After seeing a bit of the same sticks over and over, I became familiar with some popular sticks such as the MK808, MK809, iMito MX1, iMito MX2, etc. etc. Now my concern is that which of ALL the Android sticks have the best stability in terms of WiFi. I've seen a lot of posts all around forums and other websites about WiFi not working after a week or a month or that the Android Stick is not capable of streaming videos all day. Which brings up my point of which stick/box should I settle with? I prefer something under $100 but if it means Toyota reliability and that stick/box is over $100, then I'll take it. I am only buying this stick because my mom loves to watch Asian dramas on her iPad but she has no idea how to use a computer (she's 65 this year) so this will be her first step of using something a bit more complex vs. her current iPad.

I was going to settle for the iMito MX2 but I thought posting a thread and letting the experts decide which would be a better suit for me would be ideal.

quincyquinn
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Re: What is the 'best/most stable WiFi' Android Stick out there?

Minix Neo X5

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to quincyquinn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 907

DONATE TO ME

I agree with the above even though I don't own the device. I have an MK808 and wifi had 1-2 bars when in the same room as my router.

Wifi mods are super easy to do if your creative... but out of the box I heard the box above is more at the top end of these sticks.

The MX series (1 and 2) are good too. The MK808 seems the fastest but definitely has its wifi issues out of the box. I believe they have a 3rd revision that corrects some of the wifi problems but still runs on the weak side.

Make note that the above is an android box and not a stick.

LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

k3u
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyquinn View Post
Minix Neo X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by player911 View Post
I agree with the above even though I don't own the device. I have an MK808 and wifi had 1-2 bars when in the same room as my router.

Wifi mods are super easy to do if your creative... but out of the box I heard the box above is more at the top end of these sticks.

The MX series (1 and 2) are good too. The MK808 seems the fastest but definitely has its wifi issues out of the box. I believe they have a 3rd revision that corrects some of the wifi problems but still runs on the weak side.

Make note that the above is an android box and not a stick.

Okay, so that's the most stable Android box? What about the Zealz GK802? That goes for the same price but it is a QUAD core vs. the Minix Neo X5's dual core. Plus what's the main differences between a box and stick other than the form factor?

PoisonWolf
Old
Thanks Meter 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3u View Post
Okay, so that's the most stable Android box? What about the Zealz GK802? That goes for the same price but it is a QUAD core vs. the Minix Neo X5's dual core. Plus what's the main differences between a box and stick other than the form factor?
Rock chip performs better than the quad in the zealz.
Past successful purchases - kmdub with AT&T Palm Pre Plus(link).
-

sondeu
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Zealz GK802 is badly supported with the current Firmeware - there is a new FW expected to be published by end of February. Currently I would not recommend to buy the GK802. I do have a GK802 and a MK808 - I'm using the MK808... and waiting for the next FW for the Zeals and I'll give it another try.

orateam
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondeu View Post
Zealz GK802 is badly supported with the current Firmeware - there is a new FW expected to be published by end of February. Currently I would not recommend to buy the GK802. I do have a GK802 and a MK808 - I'm using the MK808... and waiting for the next FW for the Zeals and I'll give it another try.
bought a $35 UG802 from Amazon 2 weeks ago. Wifi was awful. Opened it up and saw a nice WIFI antenna in there trapped in the case. made a small hole in the case to allow the cable and Antenna to be outside and WOW. I now get 5 bars and my download on speedtest.net went from 3.5mbps to 28mbps (out of a 33max possible).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orateam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quincyquinn
Old
Thanks Meter 8

Quote:
I think the you would be better off with the x5 I don't know how well android works with quad core, as for box v's stick the box will have more ports like USB and network with mic and audio on it as will. If it a stick look at MINIX neo g4 WiFi work great on it and some custom Roms are showing up now...

Sent from my Nexus 7

k3u
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyquinn View Post
I think the you would be better off with the x5 I don't know how well android works with quad core, as for box v's stick the box will have more ports like USB and network with mic and audio on it as will. If it a stick look at MINIX neo g4 WiFi work great on it and some custom Roms are showing up now...

Sent from my Nexus 7
Now my choices are between the MINIX X5 or the MINIX Neo G4. The G4 is priced at $62 with free 2 day shipping with shop runner or the X5 which is priced at $92 with 2 day shipping with shop runner. I also have 5% cash back with discover too. So... decisions, decisions. I want something that lasts for at least 1-3 years. My mom's going to be watching dramas on it everyday for at least 5 hours+.

quincyquinn
Old
Thanks Meter 8

Quote:
Now my choices are between the MINIX X5 or the MINIX Neo G4. The G4 is priced at $62 with free 2 day shipping with shop runner or the X5 which is priced at $92 with 2 day shipping with shop runner. I also have 5% cash back with discover too. So... decisions, decisions. I want something that lasts for at least 1-3 years. My mom's going to be watching dramas on it everyday for at least 5 hours+.
The 30 bucks buys you a better device with built in Bluetooth, faster CPU, more storage,more usb ports a lot more custom ROM development...

Sent from my Nexus 7