Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,632 Members 36,754 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Surface Pro for Gaming - What have you installed? Issues?

Tip us?

Talderon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 120

DONATE TO ME
Default Surface Pro for Gaming - What have you installed? Issues?

I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

I installed and played Path of Exile as well. Needed a little bit more tweaking of the graphics settings, but over all did REALLY well.

Now, the mouse/touch issue. It has to do with Scaling. By default, the scaling is set to 150%, you need to set it to 100%. Having it at 100% will fix your gaming issues, but will make the desktop ALMOST unusable because of the size of the text. 1920x1080 on that small of a screen, text tends to be VERY small.

So, best thing to do if you want to game and have issues where you need to adjust the scaling, be prepared to tweak it.

To tweak the Scaling:

In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply.
Talderon

NETWORK: AT&T LTE US (Puget Sound Area, Washington)

Professional Web Design

xWolf13
Old
Thanks Meter 537

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Surface Pro for Gaming - What have you installed? Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talderon View Post
I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

I installed and played Path of Exile as well. Needed a little bit more tweaking of the graphics settings, but over all did REALLY well.

Now, the mouse/touch issue. It has to do with Scaling. By default, the scaling is set to 150%, you need to set it to 100%. Having it at 100% will fix your gaming issues, but will make the desktop ALMOST unusable because of the size of the text. 1920x1080 on that small of a screen, text tends to be VERY small.

So, best thing to do if you want to game and have issues where you need to adjust the scaling, be prepared to tweak it.

To tweak the Scaling:

In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply.
Have downloaded steam and played Far Cry 3 and Team Fortress 2. Its really smooth! Downside is that it takes a lot of memory ): I'm using a type cover since touch cover is a little bit hard to get used too. I recommend getting a external drive for those big games.

Sent from my CM10 Blaze
----------HIT THANKS IF I HELPED----------

The Following User Says Thank You to xWolf13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xartic12
Old
Thanks Meter 41

I downloaded Warcraft 3 and skyrim.. WC runs everything on max and 1080 with no problem. Skyrim runs at 768p everything turned down fairly well, would say 40 fps+.

As for old times sake I'm going to install anarchy online within the next day or so, which won't tax the system at all.

Btw I scored 7288 on geek bench!
The Following User Says Thank You to xartic12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kiddomarc
Old
Thanks Meter 2
world of warcraft, diablo 3, path of exile, starcraft 2 and eve online running no problem but ofcourse i have to remove one of each coz they wont fit

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Has anyone recorded and frame rates for minecraft at various settings? Would certainly trump the iOS and android guys with their little pocket edition.

As for no storage. MicroSD or an external hard drive.

Kraize
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Too bad it gets really hot sometimes :S

I have the following running: League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2.
I hated the scaling, so I am sitting at 100% scaling and I don't mind the small icons and whatnot, but almost every app (not metro) has ability to zoom so np for me there.
Current:

Nexus 5: Paranoid Android

Former:

Samsung Blackjack > AT&T Tilt > HTC Fuze > HTC Touch HD > HTC HD2 > Motorola Atrix > Samsung Galaxy Note > HTC One

jhoff80
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Don't bother with changing the desktop scaling to 100% if you don't want to. Just right click on the shortcut, go to compatibility, and check "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" for each game that you need 100% scaling for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhoff80 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ryno_666
Old
Thanks Meter 305

Anyone try Halo?

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,690
What, the original one? It'll completely crush that.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Twistys
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddomarc View Post
world of warcraft, diablo 3, path of exile, starcraft 2 and eve online running no problem but ofcourse i have to remove one of each coz they wont fit
How did WoW run?