Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,867 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful?

Tip us?

Dr. Drax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful?

I have a rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" running AWD-Launcher. The bottom of the screen still shows icons for search and favorites. Since I can't find any way to remove them, I'd like to at least make them useful.

For the search button, I'd like to make it launch something useful, e.g. Voice Search or maybe Dolphin Browser. The default Kindle search just isn't useful, especially given the way the web search forces you into Silk.

For the favorites button, I'm looking for an easier way to manage the entries than manually running the "Home" launcher and modifying it from there. I could actually live with that approach if it would allow me to add the Kindle reader from the Play store, but Home is set up to specifically not see that app.

Surely someone before me has been annoyed by having those vestigial buttons at the bottom! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Katalystik
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Re: [Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful?

I have been annoyed by this ever since I installed nova. That I know of, or there is no way to edit the links. One approach, and however, I would be to use button saviour pro and get rid of the navbar completely. Search for button saviour in the kindle general topic. Hope this helps.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Dr. Drax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks Katalystik! For the benefit of others, here is what I wound up doing:

I installed Button Savior Pro as you suggested, then I hid the stock keys by adding a line to /system/build.prop that read:
Code:
Select Code
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
(See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8452&nocache=1 for more detail)

This is even better than what I was hoping for, as it allows me to recover the full usable screen size.

point99trash2011
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Default Re: [Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful?

There is a way to fix the search button, freeze the kindle unified search app if you have Google search properly installed it will use that.

For favorites... your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
The Following User Says Thank You to point99trash2011 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prokennexusa
Old
(Last edited by prokennexusa; 11th February 2013 at 08:38 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 948

DONATE TO ME
Tablet [Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful? StatusBar+ - Custom Status Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drax View Post
I have a rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" running AWD-Launcher. The bottom of the screen still shows icons for search and favorites. Since I can't find any way to remove them, I'd like to at least make them useful.

For the search button, I'd like to make it launch something useful, e.g. Voice Search or maybe Dolphin Browser. The default Kindle search just isn't useful, especially given the way the web search forces you into Silk.

For the favorites button, I'm looking for an easier way to manage the entries than manually running the "Home" launcher and modifying it from there. I could actually live with that approach if it would allow me to add the Kindle reader from the Play store, but Home is set up to specifically not see that app.

Surely someone before me has been annoyed by having those vestigial buttons at the bottom! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dr. Drax,

There is a way to make changes to the Kindle Status bars allowing you to customize to each button. Download and install these two packages on the Kindle:

1. StatusBar+ - Custom Status Bar
2. Smart Statusbar

If for some reason the changes are not as expected, move each package from /data/app to /system/app be sure to inspect the permissions: User Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

Then to add full screen navigation to the Kindle, go to the build.prop file in /system/app and add to the end of the build.prop:

Code:
Select Code
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
Then reboot the Kindle.
Best Regards, Chris Bryant (prokennexusa Team Member)

The Noob Guys, where Simplicity is Key......

Main Line: (707) 774-5923

KFFA Bug Tracking: http://mantis.canonicaldev.com
Pastebin for Info: http://pastebin.canonicaldev.com/

Facebook: prokennexusa@gmail.com
Twitter: #prokennexus

Search XDA for Noob............More to come!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prokennexusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]