General Installation Instructions (for both TW and AOSP):
1. Download correct version of kernel for your device and rom. This is important as you may brick your phone is you use the wrong version.
2. Flash kernel using your preferred recovery
3. Do the following AFTER installing the kernel and BEFORE you reboot your phone:
a. Clear cache
b. Clear dalvik
c. Fix Permissions
4. Reboot your device.
TW Specific Kernel Instructions:
(can be used with AOSP too)
There are some files on your TouchWiz phone that need to be renamed in order to maximize the battery life of your phone. There has been some debate on whether or not this is necessary, but for now we would recommend renaming these files to ensure that there is no chance of excessive battery drain.
These steps are only necessary on TouchWiz ROMs, however you can also do this on AOSP as well:
1. You must have ROOT. You will need to have a root enabled file explorer on your phone (ES File Explorer works very well and you can get it from the play store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en
). When you get it, open it up and go the the settings and scroll all the way down until you see the Root Settings. Go in there and enable ALL of the root settings.
2. After that is done, navigate to your root folders using the Folder Up icon at the top. Once you are in your root folders, navigate to /system/bin and locate the following files. You will need to rename them with a ".bak" at the end of the filename
gsiff_daemon --> gsiff_daemon.bak
mpdecision --> mpdecison.bak
qosmgr --> qosmgr.bak
smd --> smd.bak
smdexe --> smdexe.bak
Renaming these files will not harm your phone. Many users rename these files every time they flash a rom, and no damge is done.
Also, some ROMs come with these files renamed or deleted entirely, so if you don’t find a file, don’t be alarmed.
You have to do this every time you flash the ROM and/or Kernel.
If you feel uncomfortable doing this yourself, you can use the TK-MOD (see Downloads section) and it will handle this for you.
Stopping mpdecision from being called:
1. Open terminal emulator and type the following code:
2. When terminal emulator asks for root permission hit 'Grant' or 'Allow'.
3. At the # prompt type:
Using Rom Toolbox (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iberty.toolbox
) we will make a script that will stop mpdecision from being called at each boot so you don't need to use terminal emulator each time
1. Open Rom Toolbox and scroll down to the Scripter option
2. In the scripter, click the “+” button in the top right corner, then select 'Create'
3. Type a name for our new script, lets call it “stop mpdecision”
4. In the commands enter the following text:
5. Hit the disk icon to save it
6. Select the script that you just created and a dialog box should pop up, select set at boot
Were done here
AOSP Specific Kernel Instructions:
When coming from a 3.0 Kernel to a 3.4 Kernel there is a new method with kernel updates. Skipping these steps will cause phone instability, due to some bad data left behind. This is a flaw in the Android OS, not the application. You must follow the instructions below (Thanks ktoonzs for the new method of the ktweaker app)
1. Go to Settings on the phone
2. Go to app manager then all apps
3. Scroll down to ktweaker app n open it
4. Once open hit FORCE STOP and then hit CLEAR DATA
5. Reboot and flash your new update of ktoonzs kernel
6. Repeat steps 1-4 in the above “General Installation” section
You should be good to go after that
Resources & Useful Links