Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,198 Members 44,672 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Got my notice from AT&T that I'm not allowed to use Bluetooth to my car stereo

Tip us?

CZ Eddie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 937

DONATE TO ME
Default Got my notice from AT&T that I'm not allowed to use Bluetooth to my car stereo

They sent me a warning letter that I have been using "tethering" on my phone.
So I called them up and they said they detected "tethering" on January 21st.
Discovered that was because I used my phone to stream Pandora to my car stereo that day.

They say I'm not allowed to do that on the "unlimited plan" and they will migrate me to a "tethering plan" if I keep doing it.

FU AT&T
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

• bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel

• Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire

**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440

XxlemonxX
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Default Re: Got my notice from AT&T that I'm not allowed to use Bluetooth to my car stereo

What! Lamo that's ridiculous

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk 2

elementaldragon
Old
Thanks Meter 115
I would fight that in any way possible. Syncing your phone to your vehicle's head unit to play music over it's speakers via Bluetooth in no way should be considered "Tethering". If you do it more, and they call again, tell them what you are doing that is causing high data usage. If they still insist that what you are doing is tethering, i'd suggest informing the CSR that you'd like to speak to a supervisor on the issue, and if that doesn't go anywhere, I do believe a breach of contract would be feasible....

lthary
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Default Re: Got my notice from AT&T that I'm not allowed to use Bluetooth to my car stereo

What a MF company

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

greystealth
Old
Thanks Meter 29

They don't know what they're talking about..Speak to someone else.

Jaspah
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Makes me wonder how AT&T actually monitors for unapproved tethering. I used it briefly a few times on my phone flashed with Task650's AOKP and haven't gotten any notices. Unlimited data plan, too.

tterb1980
Old
Thanks Meter 3
If they continue to harass you about the "tethering" call customer service and ask to speak to a manager. You don't want to get to the point where they actually put you on a tethering plan because there is the possibility that you could lose your unlimited data plan, and once that happens you can not get it back.

elementaldragon
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspah View Post
Makes me wonder how AT&T actually monitors for unapproved tethering. I used it briefly a few times on my phone flashed with Task650's AOKP and haven't gotten any notices. Unlimited data plan, too.
Supposedly it could have something to do with packet data... something being different in a way that they know the information coming across their network is destined for an alternate device... but who knows.

CZ Eddie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 937

DONATE TO ME
I've been using the same data plan with multiple iPhone and Android devices. Have been streaming Pandora and iHeart Radio to my car stereo for a few years now.
Matter of fact, I've mostly stopped doing that for the last several months. Ever since I started using USB-Audio instead.
Other than that one day I tried Bluetooth for whatever reason.

Just goes to show. Though the Bluetooth streaming/tethering "warning" from AT&T hasn't happened to you yet, I have to suggest that it may just be a matter of time.
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

• bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel

• Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire

**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440

krakerx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
They sent me a warning letter that I have been using "tethering" on my phone.
So I called them up and they said they detected "tethering" on January 21st.
Discovered that was because I used my phone to stream Pandora to my car stereo that day.

They say I'm not allowed to do that on the "unlimited plan" and they will migrate me to a "tethering plan" if I keep doing it.

FU AT&T
I know in CM10, in the Wireless & Network | Tethering & portable hotspot there is a option for "Bluetooth tethering", I don't know if that exists in the stock rom (I've been off of stock since CM10 was released), but make sure that all tethering options are off. Your radio may be pulling data for updates.