Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,705 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Frequently Asked Questions

Tip us?

Towle
Old
(Last edited by Towle; 20th April 2013 at 06:34 AM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1844
Default Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999

This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.

Q1: How do I root this thing?
Here are the two most popular methods:root66....ToolKit. Refer to the threads for instructions.
Q2: How to I enter Download Mode and Recovery?
Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.
Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home and power until you see the green dude.
Recovery: Hold Volume up, home and power. Once your phone vibrates, let go of just the power button.
Q3: What is this 'Flash Counter' everybody is talking about?
Your phone's flash counter is triggered when it detects custom firmwares. This is Samsung's way of knowing that you have modded your device. But thanks to the awesome people at XDA, there are ways around this. Refer to This Thread.
Q4: Why does my phone sit at the Samsung logo after I flashed a ROM?
The most common cause of this is not properly wiping your device prior to flashing. It can also be caused from flashing a mod that won't work with your current setup. But whatever the reason was, it can be fixed by wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache in recovery.
Q5: Why is my phone restarting itself? And why does my screen turn on by itself?
There have been numerous reports of faulty power buttons causing this to happen. More than likely this is your issue, but it wouldn't hurt to Odin back to stock and see if the issue is resolved.
Q6: Can I accept an OTA update even though my phone is rooted?
The only way you can accept an OTA update if you are rooted, is if you have stock recovery and your device status is "normal." If those two things apply to you, then search for the app called "OTA Root Keeper." If you cannot accept the OTA, refer to the root66 thread linked to in Q1.
Q7: Why do I need to wipe my data every time I flash a ROM?
This is to ensure that nothing is left over from your previous ROM that will interfere (cause issues) with the new ROM. It is always best to fully wipe between ROM's. It will take a lot less time to set up your phone than it will to troubleshoot issues, then have to wipe anyways.
Q8: What is the best ROM/Kernel/Modem for this phone?
Nobody can answer this question for you, so please refrain from asking it. Each person has their own personal preferences and wants/needs. No phones are created equal, therefore one person might have an issue whereas the next person does not. The best thing to do is read the OP of each thread to see which one has the features you want, read the last 10 or so pages of the thread to see how things are going, then TRY IT! Here is a good starting point.
Q9: Why is my battery dying so fast?
There are many factors that play into this. First of all, if you just flashed a ROM, give it 2-3 charge cycles before judging battery life as it can take a while to settle. The next step is to download a battery monitoring app, such as GSam Battery Monitor, to see exactly what is draining your battery. Refer to this thread for tips on how to extend battery life.
Q10: People have been complaining that they hear echoing when talking to me on the phone, why?
Go into your call settings and enable noise reduction. If that does not help, refer to the threads for your current ROM and/or kernel as it may be a known issue.
Q11: How do I return my phone to 100% stock unrooted, with a zero flash counter?
Refer to this thread.

Q12: What is ADB and how do I use it?

[GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone

Q13: Why don't I have signal? Why is my IMEI gone?
Refer to this thread to fix your IMEI and restore 4G. Be sure to follow ALL steps.

Q14: When will this phone receive an update? What about a new phone coming out?
Find discussion on these topics here and here.

Q15: I have searched everywhere and still can't find an answer to my question..?
Have you really searched everywhere? Google? Asked in the thread of which your question pertains to? Read the stickies? If you have honestly spent more than 5-10 minutes searching for an answer, post a new thread in the q&a section.

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum on XDA.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Towle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mt3g
Old
Thanks Meter 3120

DONATE TO ME
Awesome, this can almost never be completed as new questions will arise constantly. Great idea and I'll shoot ideas to you as they popup in the ol' noggin.
**HTC Uno Crew**
***Former RC Crew***
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mt3g For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Towle
Old
(Last edited by Towle; 13th February 2013 at 04:24 AM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3g View Post
Awesome, this can almost never be completed as new questions will arise constantly. Great idea and I'll shoot ideas to you as they popup in the ol' noggin.
For sure! It will always be an incomplete project as things change & new things come out. Shoot me a PM if you would like to help expand the OP.
“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. … We need not wait to see what others do.” -Gandhi

Woody
Old
(Last edited by Woody; 13th February 2013 at 12:53 AM.)
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8628
This is key. It should be utilized by everyone in the threads. This is also not exclusive to the T999 section. Well the material is exclusive but the format will be across many different devices and sections.

As mt3g said it will never be complete, but as long as Users help and guide, we can hopefully reduce the amount of redundant threads popping up.

Stuck

Users, please scroll to the bottom and put on some thread tags. These will help refine the Search results.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daxecutioner24
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Love this thread keep up the good work, woody, mtg, towle, galaxyboi and others

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

DigitalUnderground
Old
Thanks Meter 2255

Regarding recovery mode... I think this is specific to d2tmo... But when doing the three button combo to get to recovery, you hold volume up, home, and power... UNTIL THE DEVICE VIBRATES, then you RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON ONLY. When the sgs3 splash screen appears, you can release the other two buttons. It works EVERY time

Great thread idea towle :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DigitalUnderground For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Towle
Old
(Last edited by Towle; 15th February 2013 at 03:13 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1844

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyS3Guy View Post
Regarding recovery mode... I think this is specific to d2tmo... But when doing the three button combo to get to recovery, you hold volume up, home, and power... UNTIL THE DEVICE VIBRATES, then you RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON ONLY. When the sgs3 splash screen appears, you can release the other two buttons. It works EVERY time

Great thread idea towle :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
You can also let go of all buttons and it works the same. I say it can take a couple of tries so users don't automatically post a new thread when it doesn't work the first time.

And I believe the phone only vibrates if you're doing it while powered on.
“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. … We need not wait to see what others do.” -Gandhi

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8628
I threw up a bunch of tags on this thing this morning. Hopefully when they search or try to start a new thread, this thread will pop up as a suggestion. Bout to do that same thing to mt3g's Illusion thread.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alex1212
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for this.

mrnv45
Old
Thanks Meter 15
new to the S3 but not to root..

cant seem to get my 4.1.1 to root
i dont have windows or bootcamp just a mac
i do have wine, but the programs dont detect my phone on the comp section that shows (odin) there isnt anything connected

i tried other ways but get fail scripts saying it was successfull but nothing was loaded into the phone to root..

i need help bad

tmobile samsung galaxy s3
new update from this the 17 of january
GALAXY SIII - TMOBILE - DANDROID 4.1.2 (AOSP THEMED)

Please support!!

DOWNLOAD THIS GREAT ALBUM.

Itunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fe...ky/id553387454

Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/music/...M0dzJ2dDMyNCJd

Tags
adb, best rom, bootloop, faq, flash counter, help!!!, how do i, ota, question, recovery, rooting, soft brick, stock, t-mobile samsung galaxy siii, t999, triangle away, unrooting