Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 52,183 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Returning to stock question?

Tip us?

flipq88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 605
Default Returning to stock question?

So I'm getting a warranty exchange and need to get back to stock. Since I don't have access to a laptop or anything I'd figured I'd flash one of the stock unrooted roms. The only thing is will be to get back the stock recovery. My question is if I flash an ics stock rom, then to the update from the phone to jb, will that install the stock recovery? I think i read that it does but I just want to double check. Thanks

Sent from Flip's S3

Da Kine
Old
Thanks Meter 1427

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Returning to stock question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflip88 View Post
So I'm getting a warranty exchange and need to get back to stock. Since I don't have access to a laptop or anything I'd figured I'd flash one of the stock unrooted roms. The only thing is will be to get back the stock recovery. My question is if I flash an ics stock rom, then to the update from the phone to jb, will that install the stock recovery? I think i read that it does but I just want to double check. Thanks

Sent from Flip's S3
I think you'll just lose root and still have the custom recovery but in not 100% sure.

Also don't forget to use the triangle away app to reset the flash count.

|When Emotion Goes Up, Logic Goes Down|
The Following User Says Thank You to Da Kine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

x1tyme
Old
Thanks Meter 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflip88 View Post

Sent from Flip's S3
You need access to computer and odin to flash stock.tar. reflash stock backup you still have custom recovery. Also double check how many counter you have.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Tmobile - Galaxy S 3
Stock Rooted l Unlock

Other Devices
: HTC One S l Nokia Lumia 710 l T-mobile Galaxy S2 | HTC Amaze | HTC Magic | HTC Wing
The Following User Says Thank You to x1tyme For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thetenthdr
Old
Thanks Meter 247

DONATE TO ME

If you try flashing stock without Odin not only will you still have a custom recovery, you will still have a flash count. The only way to accomplish what you need is via PC and Odin.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S4 (M919) - T-Mobile
Currently running Wicked v3

Samsung Galaxy S III (T999) - Retired

T-Mobile S IV Rom Bible - Be sure to thank mt3g while you're there!

AOSP Messaging for TouchWiz ROMs (T-Mobile S3)
4.1.1 | 4.1.2

The Following User Says Thank You to Thetenthdr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flipq88
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 605

Damn I don't have a laptop. I remember having a zip file for my s2 that was an unrooted stock rom and installed the stock recovery but I haven't seen anything like that for the s3

Sent from Flip's S3

Thetenthdr
Old
Thanks Meter 247

DONATE TO ME

I'm afraid not. The thing is, even if there was it would be pointless because booting to a custom recovery to flash the stock zip would trigger the flash counter.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S4 (M919) - T-Mobile
Currently running Wicked v3

Samsung Galaxy S III (T999) - Retired

T-Mobile S IV Rom Bible - Be sure to thank mt3g while you're there!

AOSP Messaging for TouchWiz ROMs (T-Mobile S3)
4.1.1 | 4.1.2

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 8671
What about Mobile Odin? Not sure if it trips the counter or not though.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)