Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 48,760 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Guide to use kindle reading app in a launcher.

Tip us?

Hinzman420
Old
(Last edited by Hinzman420; 18th April 2013 at 06:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default Guide to use kindle reading app in a launcher.

I've seen a lot of questions about this so i thought i would make a short guide on how to do this.

WARNING 1: I do not know if this looses your book progress or downloaded books. I had a freshly rooted kindle with no books downloaded. But your cloud does work. It will bring up books you have purchased.

WARNING 2: You will no longer be able to use the books tab in original Kindle Launcher. ( always backup any system app that is removed before removing it by copying and pasting it somewhere safe )

1. Remove old kindle app: Go to your file explorer of choice and go to your /system/app/ folder and cut the Kindle for Otter apk and paste it in /sdcard/download/ folder for backup.

2. Reset kindle now you have no kindle reading app once reset is complete.

3. Now download new version from here http://db.tt/G14HspkX and install it.

4. Now go back to your file explorer and in your sdcard folder there should be 2 folders for the kindle app Books and Kindle. Open the books folder And copy all the files and folders in the books folder to the kindle folder. Then delete Books folder.

5. Reset kindle and when restart is complete you should have the kindle app working in your launcher.

If someone with books downloaded and progress made on their books could please post if this transfers your info to the new app this would be great.

Please give thanks to those who help. Everyone here helps and devotes there time to each other. Especially the developers. A thanks goes along way and is much appreciated.

EDIT: This does not work with the kinology rom.

Sent From My Rooted Kindle HD 7"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hinzman420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hinzman420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default Re: Guide to use kindle reading app in a launcher.

Sent From My Kindle HD Running Kinology Rom

gflorezarroyo
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Good tuto, but is a pitty the new version dont do TTS as the old. I`ve reverted the process as I can live without a kindle icon in my launcher but need somebody to read my books while driving. Thanks for your effort.

BELASCO
Old
Thanks Meter 84

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflorezarroyo View Post
Good tuto, but is a pitty the new version dont do TTS as the old. I`ve reverted the process as I can live without a kindle icon in my launcher but need somebody to read my books while driving. Thanks for your effort.
And we waited forever to get the TTS, right?

gflorezarroyo
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Once you ear that sensual voice.....