Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,170 Members 49,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash

Tip us?

stackz07
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash

is it not clearing cash and doing a factory wipe? does it mean just to flash the zip over the last rom flashed and doing nothing else?

nosympathy
Old
Thanks Meter 1132

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz07 View Post
is it not clearing cash and doing a factory wipe? does it mean just to flash the zip over the last rom flashed and doing nothing else?
Yes dirty flashing means flashing without clearing anything out.

A clean wipe is wiping cache, dalvik cache, doing a factory reset and wiping system.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel

tgyberg
Old
Thanks Meter 292
I'd say this is pretty dirty!

The Following User Says Thank You to tgyberg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stackz07
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Yes dirty flashing means flashing without clearing anything out.

A clean wipe is wiping cache, dalvik cache, doing a factory reset and wiping system.

Thank you. In clockworkmod recovery wiping cashe and factory reset are in the same function right? I don't have to do three different actions, just two (reset dalvik, and reset cash+factory wipe is one action that does two things) right?

nosympathy
Old
Thanks Meter 1132

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz07 View Post
Thank you. In clockworkmod recovery wiping cashe and factory reset are in the same function right? I don't have to do three different actions, just two (reset dalvik, and reset cash+factory wipe is one action that does two things) right?
Yes and then make sure to format /system as that is where the old ROM is installed at.

[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2958

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Quote:
Yes and then make sure to format /system as that is where the old ROM is installed at.
Performing a factory reset wipes /cache and the dalvik cache as well, so you don't need to wipe those and then perform a factory reset, or the other way around. Doing so is really just wasting time. The same with wiping system before flashing a ROM. If the ROM isn't already doing this as part of the flash process, IMO, you shouldn't use it. If you can't setup the updater-script properly, who knows what else isn't right in the ROM.
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this

nosympathy
Old
Thanks Meter 1132

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
Performing a factory reset wipes /cache and the dalvik cache as well, so you don't need to wipe those and then perform a factory reset, or the other way around. Doing so is really just wasting time. The same with wiping system before flashing a ROM. If the ROM isn't already doing this as part of the flash process, IMO, you shouldn't use it. If you can't setup the updater-script properly, who knows what else isn't right in the ROM.
See, believe what you want, but there are still people who believe in wiping 3+ times.

Never hurts to make sure everything wipes correctly. Specially when you have recoveries that don't work right. Plus clockwork mod is well known for having issues with wiping. Maybe not on this phone, but in the past. I refuse to use it. Even TWRP for this phone the latest version is goofy.

Better to play it safe.

[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel

toskabab
Old
Thanks Meter 57

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
See, believe what you want, but there are still people who believe in wiping 3+ times.

Never hurts to make sure everything wipes correctly. Specially when you have recoveries that don't work right. Plus clockwork mod is well known for having issues with wiping. Maybe not on this phone, but in the past. I refuse to use it. Even TWRP for this phone the latest version is goofy.

Better to play it safe.

I agree 100% with this.

1) You should never depend on someone else's rom doing this for you. That's not the roms job. Making sure your phone is clean and working well is YOUR job. Do it and quite being lazy.

2) While the 3+ wipe method may be overkill, most people still aren't wiping their phones properly and that's why we are seeing everyone have so many problems with 4g, gps, bootloops, etc. Just like sex, nobody wants to take the time to do it right anymore and then cry when they catch some nasty from doing it dirty.

3) I think of roms as women. If you want a flawless transition from one to another, they must never find out about each other. This means erase all proof of the previous one's existence. Everybody's 4g/gps issues would be non-existent if they would listen to what we are telling them. Going from rom to rom, always wipe internal and external storage as well as after a backup. This is because conflicting data stored on your card from the previous rom can screw with the new one.

4) I would say use common sense, but you kids these days don't seem to have any. So use mine instead. Stay away from the dirty. In life and on your phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toskabab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nosympathy
Old
Thanks Meter 1132

DONATE TO ME

Yeah ibeoukdnt go so far as wiping internal and external storage....

[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel

droidstyle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3320

DONATE TO ME
its like not wiping after ya poop.
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Note III Dev. Edition
VZW Galaxy S III
Asus T. Prime
---------
VZW Galaxy S Fascinate GUIDE
VZW Galaxy S III GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note II GUIDE
VZW Galaxy Note III GUIDE

The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]