Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash

OP stackz07

13th February 2013, 08:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
is it not clearing cash and doing a factory wipe? does it mean just to flash the zip over the last rom flashed and doing nothing else?
13th February 2013, 08:07 PM   |  #2  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134
 
2,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz07

is it not clearing cash and doing a factory wipe? does it mean just to flash the zip over the last rom flashed and doing nothing else?

Yes dirty flashing means flashing without clearing anything out.

A clean wipe is wiping cache, dalvik cache, doing a factory reset and wiping system.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 08:20 PM   |  #3  
tgyberg's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mpls, MN
Thanks Meter: 302
 
809 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
I'd say this is pretty dirty!


The Following User Says Thank You to tgyberg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2013, 09:02 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Yes dirty flashing means flashing without clearing anything out.

A clean wipe is wiping cache, dalvik cache, doing a factory reset and wiping system.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Thank you. In clockworkmod recovery wiping cashe and factory reset are in the same function right? I don't have to do three different actions, just two (reset dalvik, and reset cash+factory wipe is one action that does two things) right?
13th February 2013, 09:28 PM   |  #5  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134
 
2,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz07

Thank you. In clockworkmod recovery wiping cashe and factory reset are in the same function right? I don't have to do three different actions, just two (reset dalvik, and reset cash+factory wipe is one action that does two things) right?

Yes and then make sure to format /system as that is where the old ROM is installed at.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 11:41 PM   |  #6  
imnuts's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag West Chester
Thanks Meter: 3,011
 
3,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

A clean wipe is wiping cache, dalvik cache, doing a factory reset and wiping system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Yes and then make sure to format /system as that is where the old ROM is installed at.

Performing a factory reset wipes /cache and the dalvik cache as well, so you don't need to wipe those and then perform a factory reset, or the other way around. Doing so is really just wasting time. The same with wiping system before flashing a ROM. If the ROM isn't already doing this as part of the flash process, IMO, you shouldn't use it. If you can't setup the updater-script properly, who knows what else isn't right in the ROM.
14th February 2013, 05:08 AM   |  #7  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134
 
2,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts

Performing a factory reset wipes /cache and the dalvik cache as well, so you don't need to wipe those and then perform a factory reset, or the other way around. Doing so is really just wasting time. The same with wiping system before flashing a ROM. If the ROM isn't already doing this as part of the flash process, IMO, you shouldn't use it. If you can't setup the updater-script properly, who knows what else isn't right in the ROM.

See, believe what you want, but there are still people who believe in wiping 3+ times.

Never hurts to make sure everything wipes correctly. Specially when you have recoveries that don't work right. Plus clockwork mod is well known for having issues with wiping. Maybe not on this phone, but in the past. I refuse to use it. Even TWRP for this phone the latest version is goofy.

Better to play it safe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
14th February 2013, 05:23 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 59
 
221 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

See, believe what you want, but there are still people who believe in wiping 3+ times.

Never hurts to make sure everything wipes correctly. Specially when you have recoveries that don't work right. Plus clockwork mod is well known for having issues with wiping. Maybe not on this phone, but in the past. I refuse to use it. Even TWRP for this phone the latest version is goofy.

Better to play it safe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

I agree 100% with this.

1) You should never depend on someone else's rom doing this for you. That's not the roms job. Making sure your phone is clean and working well is YOUR job. Do it and quite being lazy.

2) While the 3+ wipe method may be overkill, most people still aren't wiping their phones properly and that's why we are seeing everyone have so many problems with 4g, gps, bootloops, etc. Just like sex, nobody wants to take the time to do it right anymore and then cry when they catch some nasty from doing it dirty.

3) I think of roms as women. If you want a flawless transition from one to another, they must never find out about each other. This means erase all proof of the previous one's existence. Everybody's 4g/gps issues would be non-existent if they would listen to what we are telling them. Going from rom to rom, always wipe internal and external storage as well as after a backup. This is because conflicting data stored on your card from the previous rom can screw with the new one.

4) I would say use common sense, but you kids these days don't seem to have any. So use mine instead. Stay away from the dirty. In life and on your phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toskabab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 05:42 AM   |  #9  
nosympathy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134
 
2,391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] what exactly is "dirty" flash
Yeah ibeoukdnt go so far as wiping internal and external storage....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
14th February 2013, 06:32 AM   |  #10  
droidstyle's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,435
 
6,189 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Donate to Me
More
its like not wiping after ya poop.

The Following User Says Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes