Attn RDs: Win a CuBox from Solid-Run

OP willverduzco

14th February 2013, 11:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Portal Administrator
n͖̜̺y̥͔̗̝̠̩̜c̖͙͇̲̞
Thanks Meter: 2,870

6,373 posts
Want to get started developing for these cool Android Stick Computers? Let us know your idea, and you are automatically entered for a chance to win one of three CuBox units, thanks to the kind generosity of Solid-Run!

Note: This contest is open to Recognized Developers who live in the US and UK only. Winners will be selected by myself and Elite Recognized Developer AdamOutler. More details will follow in the associated XDA Portal post, so be sure to check out www.xda-developers.com .

Good luck to all who enter!

Edit: Contest is now live! http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...rom-solid-run/
Last edited by willverduzco; 20th February 2013 at 03:57 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willverduzco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2013, 02:03 AM   |  #2  
Aww.. I'm selecting? I was going to enter and offer to develop a way to brick one seeing as how their website says they're Unbrickable for developers.. Sounds like a challenge. Someone else do this for me
Last edited by AdamOutler; 15th February 2013 at 03:07 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2013, 03:23 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 9,824

1,854 posts
Donate to Me
More
I would consider toying with XBMC, linux, android or whatever i can toy with on it and look at trying to do an AOSP/Cyanogenmod build on it if its possible. Its very low powered, but appears to have some kernel source available. Is it feasible to be done? no idea. Would have to take a shot at it to find out.

Thanks,
-h8rift

EDIT: Just re-read Adam's note...yeah i'm sure i'll brick it along the way and let you know how it goes, hehe.
Last edited by h8rift; 15th February 2013 at 03:58 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to h8rift For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2013, 04:51 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 541

867 posts
Donate to Me
More
I just got the acceptance letter for RD a couple days ago (proof, I'm also sure a member of the developer committee could confirm this), but it's not set on my profile yet.

What I'd like to try with the box is getting an interface set up on it to use it as a car stereo with a touchscreen mounted in the dashboard. I've set up a similar system with an old netbook I have, but power requirements for the netbook raise some issues, mainly with draining my car battery. A lightweight ARM system could largely mitigate, if not completely solve this issue.
There are also space issues. I would like something that I can mount to the back of an LCD and have in a contained easy-to-remove unit, instead of having to run power and VGA cords through my dash.

I also would like to use it as a system for managing my door locks, with a USB keypad possibly stuck in the back of my truck bed, where I can enter a pin and have it lock/unlock my doors. I would also like to try to use a fingerprint scanner to unlock the doors.

Here's some pictures of what I have now:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4 Don't worry, I've cleaned the wiring since then
Picture 5 XBMC with a modified Xeebo skin. This is the best media player I've found for the job. I was using Winamp at first, but XBMC has cool visualizations and whatnot.
Picture 6 Closer up, I've since filled in that top metal bar with a sharpie
Picture 7 Cleaner wiring, though still a bit messy. Note that my truck is old enough that I don't have a passenger airbag.

Not shown: I've got an acutator in the driver-side door, and a circuit that I built to accept TTL-level voltages and trigger it (essentially two relays making an H bridge, powered by two transistors that get set high by the TTL input. Both relays are ground open and charged closed, so I can set either one high and control the actuator)

Edit: Just to note, I had previously designed this to work with a RPi, but I found it a bit lackluster and not fast enough for what I wanted. Not to mention it inexplicably died one day.
Last edited by netham45; 15th February 2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Fixed a bad link
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to netham45 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2013, 11:09 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,597

739 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello everybody!

First I need to say, that I'm from Hungary, not from US or UK, but I'm really interested in this, so I give it a try. (I can pay for shipping if required.)
Android is my favourite OS, so I would like to make CyanogenMod configuration for this device first. When it's ready I would like to play with linux too and developing ROM's with ubuntu. I have access to the xda build server, so it will be a good pair for the developing.
I wanted to buy an RPi a long time ago, but I didn't have enough money to buy it. If I get one of three CuBox now, i won't betray XDA. All my development for/with this device will be public here.

Thank you for your attention!
atis112

PS: Unbrickable? As Adam said it's a challenge.
Last edited by atis112; 15th February 2013 at 11:14 AM.
15th February 2013, 02:41 PM   |  #6  
Flag Basel
Thanks Meter: 11

83 posts
More
Very nice! Looking forward to see what the devs can do with this baby

For all you that didn't read the Portal Post/OP: It's for Recognized Devs only!
17th February 2013, 01:29 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,992

11,462 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, if I had one of these devices I'd work on Linux integration into Android.

So what does this mean:
Most developers have a separate machine for doing particular work on their devices, or even any kind of developing in general aside from their Android devices. With Android devices starting to become more powerful than my laptop (and cheaper than when I bought my laptop), we SHOULD be able to harness Android's underbelly to do more things like developing and compiling directly on them, on the fly, and on the go.

Some people suggest using Ubuntu or some other Linux distro for ARM, but that isn't always the most user friendly thing on a smaller screen. Unlike Android which we already know is pretty user friendly.

Now there are some applications that exist that create development type environments for Android but why not just create a toolchain to compile Linux applications for the Android OS so that they're compatible with the Bionic C library?

So in it's most basic form, I'd be making use of this box to test, create and integrate Linux programs into binaries that Android users can use to their hearts content

As for the technicalities, I have a US shipping address, so that won't be a problem.

and @Adam: you can be sure I'll check to see if it's really unbrickable. I have a thing for bricks.. I'm curious to see how unbrickable their "unbrickable" is. If there's a method, I'll publish it
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dexter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2013, 07:47 AM   |  #8  
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag mi patria en mis zapatos
Thanks Meter: 2,553

3,114 posts
More
Please abstent to post no RD members. Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poyensa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2013, 05:11 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 541

867 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just a quick question: Will this contest be ending at midnight tonight (and if so, what timezone)?
21st February 2013, 08:00 AM   |  #10  
OP Portal Administrator
n͖̜̺y̥͔̗̝̠̩̜c̖͙͇̲̞
Thanks Meter: 2,870

6,373 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netham45

Just a quick question: Will this contest be ending at midnight tonight (and if so, what timezone)?

That's the plan. However, I am tempted to suggest that we extend the contest by another week to allow for a greater number of responses. What are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread