Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 37,753 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Completely Disappointed With TF700t

Tip us?

snypa
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapxj View Post
You brag about how 1337 you are...sounds like yours has an ID 10 T error.
hahaha... that made me laugh

-BoneZ-
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97prelude View Post
Completely Disappointed With TF700t
The TF700 is very disappointing in its stock state. You shouldn't have to do it to make your tablet run fast and smooth, but you should unlock the bootloader and put CleanROM on it. Further, you can go into "Developer Options" under "Settings" and disable all animations. I couldn't stand looking at the slide-show animations, so now everything pops up and opens/closes instantly and smoothly. While you're in the "Developer Options", you can also turn on "Force GPU Rendering" which helps as well.

As with some devices like the G-Tab, some phones, and the TF700, you have to unlock them and put different ROM's on them to make them run like they should've from the factory to begin with.

Once you unlock, install a ROM, and do a few tweaks (and use a different browser like Boat Browser), I think you'll be pleased at the performance of your TF700.
-Matt-

Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon running CleanROM
Asus Transformer Infinity running CROMi-X
The Following User Says Thank You to -BoneZ- For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thats OK
Old
Thanks Meter 277
Uh boy...

I shouldn't be posting an opinion since the last go around thread complaining about the Infinity.

Most people that show up here on XDA are looking for an answer, guide to tweaking or perhaps even trying to help.
I get so tired of these threads touting disappointment with a device.
We all know there are bugs, deficiencies, better options, damage out of the box, on and on...

If it breaks or causes frowning return or get the frigging thing fixed.
Why the drive to whine about it here?

I wish the moderation team could gather all the booboo threads and put them in their own section so they were easier to avoid.
Then the roving gangs of haters could hang together outside of the HELP forums.
XDA ain't what it use to be...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thats OK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12,745

DONATE TO ME
Totally agree @thats ok

This started life as a development site, hint is in the name. I wish I could avoid these posts as well.

I come here to read about, discover and maybe release some cool mods/developments. There are other websites you can post your dissatisfaction to Asus on. They certainly won't do anything with it here.

And the answer to the issues. Unlock and flash a custom rom. How ironic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MartyHulskemper
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Default Re: Completely Disappointed With TF700t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags View Post
Totally agree @thats ok

This started life as a development site, hint is in the name. I wish I could avoid these posts as well.

I come here to read about, discover and maybe release some cool mods/developments. There are other websites you can post your dissatisfaction to Asus on. They certainly won't do anything with it here.

And the answer to the issues. Unlock and flash a custom rom. How ironic.
You are right, and I have nothing to add as far as substance goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats OK View Post
Uh boy...

I shouldn't be posting an opinion since the last go around thread complaining about the Infinity.
I vaguely remember taking part in a few of these threads and normally they do end up pretty badly -- especially as far as these iOS v. Android type threads are concerned.
Quote:
Most people that show up here on XDA are looking for an answer, guide to tweaking or perhaps even trying to help.
I get so tired of these threads touting disappointment with a device.
We all know there are bugs, deficiencies, better options, damage out of the box, on and on...
My first Android experience ws with an LG O2x --the worst smartphone ever the carry that designation -- and I was mainly on MoDaCo then. My next device was a Samsung SGS2 (you live, you learn), and I went over to XDA. Looking back, it strikes me how friendly and open I perceived that forum to be, and that could have to do with the overall excllence of the device itself. Nonetheless, even the SGS2 has (had) its fair share of bugs and quirkyness, but it seemed so much easier to handle for some. I still don't understand why, since every appliance known to mankind has its faults, whether that is a flintstone hammer or the Space Shuttle. Going by that example: the more technologically advanced the appliance, the more opportunity for (fatal) error.
Quote:

If it breaks or causes frowning return or get the frigging thing fixed.
Why the drive to whine about it here?

I wish the moderation team could gather all the booboo threads and put them in their own section so they were easier to avoid.
Then the roving gangs of haters could hang together outside of the HELP forums.
XDA ain't what it use to be...
You're growing old, -that -- but then I guess so am I. I'm far from retirement age (partly unfortunately ) --I'm 34-- but even online I sense that life experience makes me react differently than, say, ten years ago. It's not all good, but I guess it is a normal development. I guess pretty much anything has changed over time, but we'll have to cope with it.
"Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs."
-- Murphy's Military Laws, as referenced on http://www.military-info.com/freebies/murphy.htm

"The skill of accurate perception is called cynicism by those who don't possess it."
-- Alan Millar
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyHulskemper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rail205
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Default Re: Completely Disappointed With TF700t

Have to agree stock was not all that impressive. With clean rom it is a great machine. I have to say ipad is smooth but just seems made for the simple type person. I personally love the way I get to tinker with Android systems, I think most of us are on XDA for that reason.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
The Following User Says Thank You to rail205 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thats OK
Old
Thanks Meter 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyHulskemper View Post
You're growing old, -that -- but then I guess so am I. I'm far from retirement age (partly unfortunately ) --I'm 34-- but even online I sense that life experience makes me react differently than, say, ten years ago. It's not all good, but I guess it is a normal development. I guess pretty much anything has changed over time, but we'll have to cope with it.

You're right Marty
I do get grumpy a lot...

Remember the "buttery smooth" claims from ICS to JB...man when the switch happened that's when I really started frowning.
One day I said "ok that's it" and forced myself to improve things with a custom set-up.
Thank goodness I have never had the mechanical bugs that were so often reported by others.
Whew!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thats OK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

the_game_master
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0m3b0y View Post
What are these "far better than ASUS" "keyboard docking tablet that can convert easily to a netbook" you speak of? I only know of asus transformer line that can do this on android... I've been searching for higher resolution / better build quality alternative to asus transformer for a long time now and I haven't found any. (we are talking about tablets that jave keyboard docks which house extra battery, extra connections, extra storage, etc.)

I would probably stand in line for a Samsung built 10" (or bigger) tablets with nexus 10-like screen resolution that comes with detachable keyboard dock (transformer style; form tablet to notebook quick and easy) housing extra battery, storage and connections. If it came with vanilla android sans all bloatware I'd probably camp in front of the store to get one.

Something like this was rumored as part of the Samsungs Project J (now called Altius) but according to the latest leaks these rumors might not have been true

I really really really want a well built high end tablet transformer running android (I'd settle for other non-Apple && non-M$ OSes if need be), but I just can't buy one.
I'm going to give you the same response someone told me here. Your expectations are way too high.

goodintentions
Old
Thanks Meter 732

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97prelude View Post
Suffice to say that after being in the iOS environment for the past few years, my venture into Android with the TF700 has been lackluster at best. I've had the tablet for 24 hours and have been utterly disappointed with its performance. For being the premier android tablet on the market, it's no wonder people migrating from iOS are having such terrible experiences.

Firstly, I'd say that about 20% of the apps i've downloaded have crashed or stalled on me. These are all main stream apps, nothing from small developers, its from the googles, amazon, pandora, etc...

This tablet couldn't stream music, run the ftp client, and browse the web at the same time.... the tablet was sugglish and the music would stop playing at times.

App loading time is crazy slow.... i feel like i'm working on a 486 here..... browsing speed and rendering is terrible also.... I can't believe you guys are able to actually be productive on this thing. It's most likely going in a drawer full of other ****ty devices i've bought over the years.

While not a fan of the closed of iOS ecosystem, I have to tell you that the OS is stable and polished. The apps all look beautiful and well made, the ipad doesn't freeze, and it's overall a more intuitive system. I prefer the open source aspect of android, but wow, this tablet was a complete let down. My business partner's ipad 1 is still a better and smoother experience than this piece of junk.
Having owned a couple of ipads (1 and 2), I can tell you that iOS does crash just like all other operating systems. I've been working with many different OSes over the years, and apps crashing is an unavoidable part of life.

The reason people think iOS doesn't crash is because Apple made the decision to not inform people when something has crashed. It's pretty clever, actually. In windows, android, Linux, and everything else, whenever something crashes there is an error message telling you an error has occurred and so-and-so. But in iOS, when something crashes, you just end up back in the home screen. Most people at this point would think that they accidentally pressed the wrong button or the home button. And also, the lack of an error message means there's no interruption of experience causing the user to not remember.

I have to agree with some others here. You bragged about being a 1337 and then you went ahead and showed us you don't really know much about the systems.

I recently sold my infinity and bought an asus vivotab rt. After having used the vivotab rt for about a week, holy cow this thing is great. Both android and iOS are slow and sluggish compared to windows rt. If you want something that flies, get a windows rt tablet.

I'm amazed how there is no lag time between swipes. It's amazing to watch the screen following your finger without delay.
Feeling overwhelmed by all these instructions meant for smarties? Well, you're in luck because I've made a Viewsonic G-Tablet For Dummies where all the instructions are dumbed down for dummies.
The Following User Says Thank You to goodintentions For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 781
Another one of these? Is it really that hard to post it in an existing thread? Or do you fear you won't get as much attention if you do? Look at meeeeeeeeee, what I have to say is more important than the other person saying the exact same thing!

Let me explain a vital difference to you. XDA is a Developers forum. Not a 'moan about how a product doesn't meet your insanely high expectations' forum. And it certainly is not a 'compare it to an iCrap' forum!

Complaining can be done here: http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyHulskemper View Post
I'm 22 and already I feel the internet consists entirely of elementary school children crying to their mothers about how their classmates have a lollipop and they don't... with a staggering lack of proper grammar, at that. Maybe I'm just old for my age, but I imagine it's even worse for you guys.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShadowLea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]