Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,557 Members 46,812 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Interesting reply from Asus

Tip us?
 
Soul TKR
Old
#11  
Soul TKR's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 169
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle, WA

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Interesting reply from Asus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypa View Post
sorry Soul , I did not realise you were on stock . Rooting is awsum!

no seriously, it is the same as having admin on windows, which everyone knows you shouldn't but you do anyway because without it you are screwed!

+1 CROMI and it is already rooted and lightyears away from anything ASUS is seemingly capable of , actual user experience is off the chart and you will actually enjoy using your paperweight!
Yea I wanna root/unlock really bad. Just not too crazy to since you lose your warranty. Plus my wife is out of state right now with our laptop and I have no computer access. Probably won't for another couple months. Kinda hoping NvFlash will be back up and running by then...
Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T 64GB Tablet in Amethest Grey - Rooted/Unlocked and running Cromi-X
Verizon HTC ONE M7 - Stock for now
 
snypa
Old
#12  
snypa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 217
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul TKR View Post
Yea I wanna root/unlock really bad. Just not too crazy to since you lose your warranty. Plus my wife is out of state right now with our laptop and I have no computer access. Probably won't for another couple months. Kinda hoping NvFlash will be back up and running by then...
you only live once and you lose your warranty anyway ... choice is only now or later ... luckily XDA is a wealth of knowledge! some of the devs and hackers here are simply amazing! goodluck
 
Soul TKR
Old
#13  
Soul TKR's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 169
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle, WA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by snypa View Post
you only live once and you lose your warranty anyway ... choice is only now or later ... luckily XDA is a wealth of knowledge! some of the devs and hackers here are simply amazing! goodluck
Yea you are right... lot's of resources here!

It's the "bricked my Infinity" threads that have me nervous LOL
Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T 64GB Tablet in Amethest Grey - Rooted/Unlocked and running Cromi-X
Verizon HTC ONE M7 - Stock for now
 
snypa
Old
#14  
snypa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 217
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default same same but different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
A cold boot is any boot from power off. So the easy procedure for cold booting is:
* Turn power off
* Turn power on

Until someone posts with a technical explanation what the detour via the bootloader menu would do differently, I claim that the effect of both methods is exactly the same.

the technical difference is i turn the tablet on and off - ie: cold boot - with one touch of a widget , without having to touch the hard keys at all...
as opposed to a warm reboot , thats a different widget!

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul TKR View Post
Yea you are right... lot's of resources here!

It's the "bricked my Infinity" threads that have me nervous LOL
yeh , alot of them just don't read and the rest were / are the true pioneers !
 
MartyHulskemper
Old
#15  
MartyHulskemper's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 365
Posts: 1,465
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
A cold boot is any boot from power off. So the easy procedure for cold booting is:
* Turn power off
* Turn power on

Until someone posts with a technical explanation what the detour via the bootloader menu would do differently, I claim that the effect of both methods is exactly the same.
I too believe it gives exactly the same result. I always do it by pressing the power button, but I guess some people might really like the app method. <taptap>
"Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs."
-- Murphy's Military Laws, as referenced on http://www.military-info.com/freebies/murphy.htm

"The skill of accurate perception is called cynicism by those who don't possess it."
-- Alan Millar
 
snypa
Old
#16  
snypa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 217
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyHulskemper View Post
I too believe it gives exactly the same result. I always do it by pressing the power button, but I guess some people might really like the app method. <taptap>
its just the damn screen is so silky smooth and sexy! I just can't keep my hands off it! lol

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

i thought the cold boot was built in to the os for custom setups where the screen is built in and no hardware keys were accessible?

 
sbdags
Old
#17  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12248
Posts: 10,703
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kenilworth, Coventry

 
DONATE TO ME
I thought an asus cold boot was the same as wiping the cache partition. Where as a normal off and on power boot does not achieve this?
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10


ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701


Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!


Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development
 
snypa
Old
#18  
snypa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 217
Join Date: Nov 2012
haha... now we just need an "interesting reply from Asus"
 
_that
Old
#19  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2309
Posts: 3,293
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul TKR View Post
It's the "bricked my Infinity" threads that have me nervous
LOL
I think all of them made the mistake of choosing "wipe data" while having an old recovery installed that was not compatible with their (JB) bootloader.

If you don't do that, and you always boot manually into the recovery using the bootloader menu after first installing a new recovery, you should be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags View Post
I thought an asus cold boot was the same as wiping the cache partition. Where as a normal off and on power boot does not achieve this?
Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell
root@android:/ # echo 'sbdags is wrong' > /cache/test
reboot... using the bootloader menu and doing nothing... "cold booting in 10 seconds"

Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell
root@android:/ # cat /cache/test
sbdags is wrong
No, it doesn't wipe the cache partition.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sbdags
Old
#20  
sbdags's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12248
Posts: 10,703
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kenilworth, Coventry

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
I think all of them made the mistake of choosing "wipe data" while having an old recovery installed that was not compatible with their (JB) bootloader.

If you don't do that, and you always boot manually into the recovery using the bootloader menu after first installing a new recovery, you should be safe.



Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell
root@android:/ # echo 'sbdags is wrong' > /cache/test
reboot... using the bootloader menu and doing nothing... "cold booting in 10 seconds"

Code:
that@ws ~ $ adb shell
root@android:/ # cat /cache/test
sbdags is wrong
No, it doesn't wipe the cache partition.
Lol! Thanks for that! There is no emoticon for giving the bird.

So what does a cold boot actually do then?
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10


ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701


Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!


Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development

The Following User Says Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes