[App] Greenify *Root*

Search This thread

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
Note: This is not my app. This app is by Oasis Feng

Update: I think the link to the app thread by developer would be this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155737

There is a new app in play store called Greenify. This app is only for rooted users. This app is similar to the freeze option we find in Titanium Backup Pro, but does the job in a much better way - it puts the app to hibernation.

Key features include:
1. You can add the apps to list which you want to hibernate
2. After the app is added to list, Greenify does the rest of the job.
3. No need to manually hibernate and de-hinbernate (like we manually freeze and unfreeze in TB Pro)

To use Greenify follow the steps below:
1. Open Greenify and give SU permission
2. Add the app to list in the built in recent app list or if you want to add app manually then choose more and open the desired app from list and tap on Greenify in notification bar.
3. In the main screen of Greenify you will see the apps that are currently running under "pending" category.
4. Now turn off the screen and wait for 2-5 minutes. Open Greenify again and you would see that, all the apps added to list are movee to "hibernated" category. All these apps are as good as frozen/uninstalled.

When the apps are in hibernated, they don't run in foreground nor in background. This will help in saving the battery and also increase the performance of the device.

I could test this by adding WhatsApp to the list in Greenify and later when WhatsApp went to hibernation mode I did not receive any of the messages in it (as good as the app not running). Then once I opened Whatsapp, it was our of hibernation and I received all my pending messages. Voila!

Note 1: you cannot add the system apps to the list. Greenify gives a message stating "Sorry, system apps are impossible to be greenified due to safety reason". Who wants to hibernate system apps anyways. :D

Note 2: Like the app description says in play store, it's not advised to put IM, Alarm clock apps and other apps that you rely heavily on for it to be running in background.

Note 3: You can send the pending app to hibernation immediately by tapping the app in list and tapping the pause icon.

Suggested list of apps that to be hibernated:
1. Facebook (take that FB!)
2. Google Maps (install as user app)
3. Any other rouge app which you wish to keep but keeps on popping up as background process. You tell me.

Weirdly I could think of only two apps! So share your list here. Thanks.

So this is really a very useful app which I feel would increase the milage of the device in long run. Kudos to the developer!

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
I often wondered what it took to be a recognized contributor.

Now I know. You have to spam an irrelevant forum with an advert for an app.
I in no way advertising this app. I found the app to be useful and worth sharing it. And I did not develop this app, nor did anyone pay me to advertise it.

Reactions: BigJeff

Gr€€n

Nov 21, 2010
Toulouse
I tested it, and it works well.
Maybe excepted for Google Maps which keep coming in running apps even if put in the 'hibernated' list.

But that's a great app, I'll give it a try the next couple of days.

nyydynasty

Sep 15, 2010
i know you said this app works better than freezing/unfreezing via TiBu but how is it better? This apps sounds like its the same thing. Just curious...

Salman Babri

Jun 12, 2012
Lahore
i know you said this app works better than freezing/unfreezing via TiBu but how is it better? This apps sounds like its the same thing. Just curious...

The OP said that it automatically do so (freeze/unfreeze) which makes it unique. In TB you always have to do this manually whenever you plan to use an app after freezing it.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

anerik

Aug 21, 2012
La Plata
If i greenify, no more push notifications right? Would be nice for Facebook, i could get rid of them if i could just use the app without it eating all my battery
EDIT: How about keyboards?

Last edited:

gsw5700

Jan 31, 2011

Testing this, I'm fed up freezing apps then un freezing them when I need them. Play store doesn't show updates for frozen apps. Could be promising as apps are hibernated and run only when you need them. Best of all worlds of it works.

Pressing more exits the app at the moment

Sent via TCP/IP

anerik

Aug 21, 2012
La Plata
So far, i hibernated whatsapp, facebook and twitter. I don't care about push notifications, but this works real nice! They are not running (background, cache, anywhere) so it gives me more RAM (specially you, facebook) and i can open em with no problems, no errors or nothing. Great app!

mutantblack

Sep 22, 2006
Tornados City
Testing this, I'm fed up freezing apps then un freezing them when I need them. Play store doesn't show updates for frozen apps. Could be promising as apps are hibernated and run only when you need them. Best of all worlds of it works.

Pressing more exits the app at the moment

Sent via TCP/IP

Pressing more exit the app so you can choose whichever app you wanna hibernate. You can see in the notification

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sprint82

Jan 13, 2011
Bremen
AW: [App] Greenify *Root*

I'm using the ViperS rom on a HTC Sensation and greenify doesn't ask for root so I can't hibernate maps. I get a error message there.
ViperS uses a special superuser app, how can make it work?

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
I'm using the ViperS rom on a HTC Sensation and greenify doesn't ask for root so I can't hibernate maps. I get a error message there.
ViperS uses a special superuser app, how can make it work?
You can try installing SuperSU app from market.. Then give SuprerSU su permission with special superuser app. From this point on you SuperSU app will be used to grant su permission. Greenify will support SuperSU.

Last edited:

Adauth

Feb 7, 2011
New Orleans
Loving it! Don't have to defrost the app every time I want to use it, but can still stop it from running when not using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Hi dev. Please, could you add a option to ignore the fact that some apps are system ones? Sony has some apps that are media related, and even Facebook, that comes with software, that ate safe to hibernation.

Cheers.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk HD

Harsha Raj

Jun 30, 2011
Hi dev. Please, could you add a option to ignore the fact that some apps are system ones? Sony has some apps that are media related, and even Facebook, that comes with software, that ate safe to hibernation.

Cheers.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk HD
Dev won't be following this thread AFAIK. You can contact him at play.google.com@public.oasisfeng.com

About hibernating system apps, since you are already rooted you can convert few apps like Facebook and other Sony apps which are media related to user apps with help of a titanium backup. This will enable you in hibernating them.

Take due care when converting Sony apps to user apps though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: This is not my app. This app is by Oasis Feng

Update: I think the link to the app thread by developer would be this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155737

There is a new app in play store called Greenify. This app is only for rooted users. This app is similar to the freeze option we find in Titanium Backup Pro, but does the job in a much better way - it puts the app to hibernation.

Key features include:
    1. You can add the apps to list which you want to hibernate
    2. After the app is added to list, Greenify does the rest of the job.
    3. No need to manually hibernate and de-hinbernate (like we manually freeze and unfreeze in TB Pro)

To use Greenify follow the steps below:
    1. Open Greenify and give SU permission
    2. Add the app to list in the built in recent app list or if you want to add app manually then choose more and open the desired app from list and tap on Greenify in notification bar.
    3. In the main screen of Greenify you will see the apps that are currently running under "pending" category.
    4. Now turn off the screen and wait for 2-5 minutes. Open Greenify again and you would see that, all the apps added to list are movee to "hibernated" category. All these apps are as good as frozen/uninstalled.

When the apps are in hibernated, they don't run in foreground nor in background. This will help in saving the battery and also increase the performance of the device.

I could test this by adding WhatsApp to the list in Greenify and later when WhatsApp went to hibernation mode I did not receive any of the messages in it (as good as the app not running). Then once I opened Whatsapp, it was our of hibernation and I received all my pending messages. Voila!

Note 1: you cannot add the system apps to the list. Greenify gives a message stating "Sorry, system apps are impossible to be greenified due to safety reason". Who wants to hibernate system apps anyways. :D

Note 2: Like the app description says in play store, it's not advised to put IM, Alarm clock apps and other apps that you rely heavily on for it to be running in background.

Note 3: You can send the pending app to hibernation immediately by tapping the app in list and tapping the pause icon.

Suggested list of apps that to be hibernated:
    1. Facebook (take that FB!)
    2. Google Maps (install as user app)
    3. Any other rouge app which you wish to keep but keeps on popping up as background process. You tell me.

Weirdly I could think of only two apps! So share your list here. Thanks.

So this is really a very useful app which I feel would increase the milage of the device in long run. Kudos to the developer!

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify

We got a bad ass over here. Perhaps this is the wrong forum but the app is damn useful.

I has a sig

This app is fantastic and (mostly perfectly) works as advertised. It does struggle with some particularly pesky programs like Maps that have all sorts of services constantly trying to restart but other than that it's quite amazing. In my daily usage patters, over a given 16 hour day, my GNex gets about 450 wakeups (use BetterBatteryStats). With this app, that number is down to below 100. The end result? Idle battery drain is <1% per hour. This in itself is quite a feat!

The other thing that this app does is increase the amount of available RAM, the benefits of which are obvious.

I reached out to the developer with the following 2 suggestions and he responded quickly saying that he would implement them:
    * Include a selector that let's you multi-select apps to add all together instead of one by one
    * Include a backup and restore option that can save all the apps in your greenify list so you can export and share and restore when you change devices or reinstall a ROM etc.

Overall, the developer is responsive and has executed his idea just brilliantly. I'm not usually one of gratuitous superlatives, but this app is truly amazing and quite the game-changer in my opinion. He also states on his G+ page WHY he set up developing this app and his thought process is well thought out and quite compelling (focus on the OS experience instead of a per-app experience approach). See here: https://plus.google.com/112105199234363320140

Kudos!
    Please! port this to gingerbread! :( looks like an awesome app

Actually, I think the meaning of hibernate is "Force Stopping" the app. But sadly Greenify cannot be ran on Gingerbread... But you can try an app called Battery Doctor, download it from Play Store, the Task Killer option uses the similar function, and also can hibernate the app automatically when the screen is off. (Requires Root), the difference is it can be run on Gingerbread too. Give it a try :). I am using it on my Gingerbread devices.