Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Right, that's it: I'm done with this piece of crap

Tip us?

espionage724
Old
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimthorr View Post
...Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.
Software issues I consider somewhat silly since they'll most likely be fixed in the future (although to be fair, Google shouldn't even allow RMA on software issues that "can" be fixed over time). Hardware issues in the other hand vary between devices.

I don't consider $400+ "pocket change" and I'd want the best device I could get for my money. a creaky back and noticeable light bleed are things I would not even want to be bothered with on such a priced device, and if I really want the device, i'd try multiple times to get a decent one.

My first Nexus 10 has no dead pixels, no creaky back, and very minimal light bleed. This device is fine for me, but ideally I wouldn't even want the light bleed. I'm not going to RMA over it now, but I didn't do it in the past either at the risk of getting a worse tablet (it's real bad that this is even a concern sadly). Samsung's RMA might be a better option since they actually repair the device (not sure how good of a job they do) but it can take weeks, and Samsung doesn't even seem to know their tablet exists most of the time.

If Google and Samsung don't want to deal with a lot of RMA's, then they should make their quality check process better.

Device Ownership:

Current Devices:
None
Side Devices:
Nexus 7 (grouper) (franco.Kernel + Rasbeanjelly)
Galaxy Rush (SPH-M830) (Stock)

Ex Devices:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 (SGH-T849)
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113)
Galaxy Prevail (SPH-M820) (KoumaKernel + CTMod)
Nexus 4 (LGE960/mako) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber)
Nexus 10 (GT-P8110/manta) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber

mermoid
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimthorr View Post
I genuinely can't believe that people see the need to RMA their N10 (or any device) due to the smallest things that they've found by specifically looking for them. Yes my N10 has light bleed and yes it did have problems with rebooting (before 4.2.2) but it doesn't bother me.

I would never use an LCD screen on full brightness in a dark room so will never notice the small amounts of light bleed it has. The reboots are a software issue that can be fixed by an update and are so infrequent that they are almost insignificant anyway. And a 'creaky back' definitely doesn't warrant getting the thing replaced; it's plastic so is bound to creak when you purposely flex it which you're not supposed to do.

Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.
I'm not shocked at all - you are one of the lucky ones who's received a decent device first time but for those of us like boominski or myself (or many others, as the 1,100+ post light bleed thread will attest) the devices we receive are undeniably defective. Before I got this tablet I wasn't even aware light bleed was something I had to worry about, so I most certainly wasn't "looking for" it. In fact, my reaction was more like "WTF are these yellow patches in the corners of my screen???!?!?!"

On my Nexus 10 #1 I have highly noticeable light bleed in the two bottom corners, and it is fully visible on the nav-bar at 0% brightness in a well-lit room. I use my tablet for watching TV/film which needs to have a decent brightness level to display the colours properly (I use probably about 50-60% for this) and at that level the huge yellow blobs in the corners are unbearably distracting and actually impede onto the video. And that's not even using it in the dark! #1's screen is also really dim along the edge below the camera which is very annoying when I hold it in portrait, it has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen and the wifi stops working regularly (I have to turn wifi off and on probably every 15-20 minutes or so to get it working again). Wouldn't any reasonable person say those are all fully justifiable grounds for an RMA? Because I did, which resulted in me receiving tablet #2, which has significantly worse light bleed emanating from all 4 corners, so much so that the screen is actually tinted yellow and basically can't display the colour black. The app drawer looks like a murky yellowish dark grey. No idea if it has wifi issues because I only used it for 5 minutes before boxing it up and requesting a refund for both. I don't have the brand loyalty or the will to go through 5 RMAs like a lot of others, but I think it's complete nonsense to allege that people are only doing it because they're 'perfectionists' or whatever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mermoid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chiccitstix
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Why would you send it back due to reboots or wi-if issues?

You'll never be satisfied if you had issues with what was poorly debugged software. Just read around these forums: QA is filled with people experiencing software issues with 4.2.1. All Nexus 10s come with the same OS.

mchahn
Old
Thanks Meter 30
If every device has the same problem, then that is a design issue and not a defect. The problems discussed, especially the light bleed, are clearly design problems. You can RMA the unit a hundred times and you probably won't be happy.

As I said before everyone has different needs. It's a shame the design is somewhat shoddy because it's a dream device otherwise. My guess is that Samsung was told to make it cheap, which they succeeded in doing. I paid $100 less than I would have for an iPad.

I've read that iProducts are tooled to a precision that is higher than a micrometer can read. They have to use lasers for QA. Apple always cared more about appearance than anything else. I personally have the opposite needs. I want great software and a high resolution screen and everything else is gravy.

(I also have a dislike for Apple the company, but that is neither here nor there and not related to this thread).

espionage724
Old
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccitstix View Post
Why would you send it back due to reboots or wi-if issues?

You'll never be satisfied if you had issues with what was poorly debugged software. Just read around these forums: QA is filled with people experiencing software issues with 4.2.1. All Nexus 10s come with the same OS.
My N10 has had very few reboots, and no WiFi issues. Either I'm lucky, or there is a legitimate hardware issue affecting others.

Device Ownership:

Current Devices:
None
Side Devices:
Nexus 7 (grouper) (franco.Kernel + Rasbeanjelly)
Galaxy Rush (SPH-M830) (Stock)

Ex Devices:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 (SGH-T849)
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113)
Galaxy Prevail (SPH-M820) (KoumaKernel + CTMod)
Nexus 4 (LGE960/mako) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber)
Nexus 10 (GT-P8110/manta) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber

mchahn
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by espionage724 View Post
My N10 has had very few reboots, and no WiFi issues. Either I'm lucky, or there is a legitimate hardware issue affecting others.
Or their access point is weak or poorly positioned. I had to put two routers in my tiny house. The N10 is no worse for me than my other devices.

Alarmmy
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Default Re: Right, that's it: I'm done with this piece of crap

I dont how to say about your situation. You should know that life is not perfect by any mean. Instead of moaning, yelling, and complaining, why dont you learn to enjoy life? Your tablets have problems, and you have mental illness. That's what i learn from your story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boominski View Post
Which part of my post do you think is an exaggeration? The part where I said that I wasn't looking for perfection, could live with light bleed, wifi drop-outs and reboots, but drew the line at wanting a 'reasonably' even screen in terms of temperature and light distribution was a clue as to what I consider my 'goalposts' to be. My iPad isn't perfect: the screen is not 100% uniform and it has minor light bleed. My Nexus 7 isn't perfect: it has some light bleed, wifi drop-outs and the screen flicker issue. My Android phone isn't perfect: the screen is not 100% even. But are they acceptable? Yes. Because. even though consumer devices are not perfect, they are of a 'reasonable' quality.

That = 'goalposts'.

Why is that too hard for some people to understand?
Wow, "the screen is not 100% even". Let me tell you something: your eyes are not even, you have one arm bigger than another, you teeth also are not even. Should I blame your parents for creating such a crap product?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Alarmmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chluz
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Re: Right, that's it: I'm done with this piece of crap

No one paid for him though well I hope no one paid for him in any case you buy a product, if you don't like it bring it back, and feel free to say what you thought about it.
Simple as that, no need for forum wars
Past phones:
Qtek S100
HTC Polaris
HTC Touch Diamond
Iphone 3Gs
Current phone : HTC one X , ARHD 14.1
The Following User Says Thank You to Chluz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chiccitstix
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by espionage724 View Post
Android 4.2.2 has fixed many issues for many users here. Software updates can't change the hardware.

mermoid
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchahn View Post
Or their access point is weak or poorly positioned. I had to put two routers in my tiny house. The N10 is no worse for me than my other devices.
I primarily use my N10 in my living room, which is the same room my wireless router is in. The router is no more than about 8 feet from my chair and the N10 wifi stops working constantly (it doesn't actually disconnect - the icon in the top right still displays as if it's connected but the internet or any other networking functions don't work). In contrast, I have no problems with my desktop computer which is on the other side of the house, or my laptop, or my smartphone. I also have a backup router so I tried that, same thing. Took it to two different friends' houses to try their wifi, same thing. Tried it at my parents' house, same thing.

So yeah I should totally just put up with that on my 319 tablet, must just be a software glitch even though we're both running the exact same software and yours works properly while mine doesn't...