Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,571 Members 51,741 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HD2 Dies What new Phone

Tip us?

_JaSoN_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Unhappy HD2 Dies What new Phone

hi my hd2 is dying ´ first the camera flashlight broke now my display dies its working sometimes after 10 times pressing on off button so what new phone is the best value for money to get at moment ?

Marvlesz
Old
Thanks Meter 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by _JaSoN_ View Post
hi my hd2 is dying ´ first the camera flashlight broke now my display dies its working sometimes after 10 times pressing on off button so what new phone is the best value for money to get at moment ?
The Nexus 4 without any doubt.
But if your budget allows, you may wait and see what samsung has to offer. Also, you can consider the HTC One.
Do you have a question about the HD2 ? Ask it here for an instant response.

nexus⁴: Carbon 4.4 with moob kernel.

_JaSoN_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlesz View Post
The Nexus 4 without any doubt.
But if your budget allows, you may wait and see what samsung has to offer. Also, you can consider the HTC One.
budget is not a big problem but why buy cheap phones when cheaper 1s can do the same or even be better

the htc one i was thinking about to get but i dont like the not removable batterie and that there u cant use a sd card thats a big letdown

the s4 is big as the s3 or even bigger i guess :X dont want a phat phone like that its kinda like a tablet lol

Mister B
Old
Thanks Meter 333
If you want removable battery & SD card then your choices are limited.
S3 is not a lot bigger than the HD2 & has removable battery & SD slot plus prices have dropped a lot. Another plus point is strong custom ROM development & device specific apps that can make ownership more pleasurable.
[DEVICE1] : [HD2] [EU late model, socket lcd & samsung nand]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699 Nov24]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x][CHT2.0.S2.5]
[RADIO] : [2.12.50.02_2]

[DEVICE2] : [Raphael] [sold]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x]
[RADIO] : [1.14.25.05 + RILPHONE.DLL]
[SOFTWARE] : [Mortscript] [MyMobiler] [CeRegEditor] [SkypeMobile] [FingerKBD Eng/Thai (WVGA)] [Thai Font/SIP] [IM+] [SPB-Backup]

trytogetme
Old
Thanks Meter 5
i have the same problem like OP. But I want an open source Phone.
But i think HD2 is the only one around here.

I like Windows Phone, because I think it has many potential. But I also like Android, bevcause of costumisation. But I also hate Android, because of the stupid app-menue, and bull****-marketplace.

Nigeldg
Old
(Last edited by Nigeldg; 4th March 2013 at 04:29 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by trytogetme View Post
But I also hate Android, because of the stupid app-menue, and bull****-marketplace.
I 'tried to get you' (see what I did there?) but I couldn't. Y U NO MAKE SENSE?

@OP I can very strongly recommend the Nexus 4. Don't bother with a One, there's no significant advantage to getting it over a N4 and definitely no justification of the extra cost. The GS3 is a great device and runs very well, but having used a N4 I genuinely see a difference in speed between the two. If money isn't an issue and you're adamant about having an SD slot and removable battery, wait for the GS4 and get one of those instead. It's expected to launch fairly soon and I think you'd regret buying a One right now when the GS4 will almost certainly be better.
Primary device: Nexus 4 running Paranoidandroid
Ultimate Nexus 4 Root guide

Secondary device: HTC HD2 running NexusHD2 JB
How to be a new user, and not a noob - Some people REALLY need to read this!
How to flash an HD2 with NAND Android
A guide to all of the terms for the HD2
Android 4.2 keyboard and Camera!

Azurael
Old
(Last edited by Azurael; 6th March 2013 at 10:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 205
If you're used to the 'hackability' of the HD2, the last thing you want to do is buy a current HTC device. Believe me, I've been there Their developer support is lame and their warranty policy is dreadful (and illegal in Europe, although I haven't seen that put to the test yet) the first thing they do when they receive a device is send you an invoice to repair or even return the device to you if it's bootloader unlocked, even if the fault has nothing to do with software. Plus, their idea of a bootloader unlock isn't really what most used to older HTC devices (S-Off) are used to...

I think the Nexus 4 is probably about the best option right now. It doesn't have an SD card slot. It doesn't have a removable battery (although the battery is pretty easy to replace when it wears out, it's just four screws and a bit of coercion.) Those two alone are going to be dealbreakers for some, and for the remaining people, the glass back might be an issue. I'm not going to lie, it's not ideal. I'd like the hardware of the Nexus 4 in the chassis of the HTC One X, myself (I don't like aluminium phones, they dent and look ugly in no time)

The only other things really worth considering are Sony devices - the Xperia Z looks pretty tasty, since they have a similar level of developer support and the company has made a really good effort to support the development community and AOSP in general. However, you have to be careful as operator branded Sony devices are locked down like Fort Knox (no bootloader unlock at all AFAIK.)

Samsung are going very much in the direction of HTC these days with regard to developer support (e.g. crap.) On top of that, I personally wouldn't buy a Samsung device because they keep releasing buggy hardware (S2, Note 1, S3, Note 2) with serious flaws that kill the devices, and their patches for these issues are a) dodgy code and b) don't appear to totally eliminate the SoD issue on the S3/Note 2. I'd be more forgiving if it weren't for the fact that the eMMC bugs traverse several generations of Samsung devices and now I suspect they just have crap quality control. I don't really like the idea of paying to beta test hardware for them :-/
Current:
LG D802 - SlimKat | Asus Flo - SlimKat/Glitch | Samsung i9100P - SlimKat/Dorimanx | HTC Vision - Flinny CM11

Past:
LG Mako (Given away!) | HTC EndeavorU (eMMC Corruption Brick) | Barnes & Noble Ovation - (LCD Stopped working) | Motorola Olympus (Cooked itself) | HTC Bravo (Sold) | HTC Dream (Retired) | Apple iPhone 2G (Retired as a music player) | HTC Hermes (Touchscreen dead)

Free RAM is wasted RAM, foo!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azurael For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mister B
Old
Thanks Meter 333
Some good points in post above.
I was keen on S3 because of sd slot, removable battery & easy use of dual sim card adaptor but Samsung QC & pi55 poor service in my region made me change my mind on that.
Really is not that many really good spec phones available at the moment, most lack sd slots which works out expensive per Gb of storage & if phone dies so does the data.
Maybe worth some reinvesting in another HD2 or repairing the one they already have as current selection falls short for the prices they retail for ...
[DEVICE1] : [HD2] [EU late model, socket lcd & samsung nand]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699 Nov24]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x][CHT2.0.S2.5]
[RADIO] : [2.12.50.02_2]

[DEVICE2] : [Raphael] [sold]
[ROM] : [Energy Dinik 23699]
[OS] [WindowsMobile® 6.5.x]
[RADIO] : [1.14.25.05 + RILPHONE.DLL]
[SOFTWARE] : [Mortscript] [MyMobiler] [CeRegEditor] [SkypeMobile] [FingerKBD Eng/Thai (WVGA)] [Thai Font/SIP] [IM+] [SPB-Backup]
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister B For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Deyinka
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Default Re: HD2 Dies What new Phone

Umm buy another Le

Sent from my ZeJstersHD2 using xda premium

dj_s_021
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just GOOGLE NEXUS Group