Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 53,108 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WARNING][You MUST Reset Google Wallet When Switching ROMs!]

Tip us?

bp328i
Old
(Last edited by bp328i; 18th February 2013 at 03:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 464
Default Re: [WARNING][You MUST Reset Google Wallet When Switching ROMs!]

I'll add this to the discussion.

The first phone I had to Google Wallet on was my Verizon Galaxy Nexus (when wallet first came out and WAS stored completely on the secure element) then on my Sprint Galaxy S III and now on my Sprint Galaxy Note II.

I have never once reset Google Wallet on any of my phones before flashing a new ROM, and never have had a problem.

So not resetting Google Wallet before flashing a new ROM does not guarantee a secure element warning.

This debate has been going on since Google Wallet first came out on whether or not it helps to reset the app prior to wiping your phone and flashing a new ROM.

There really is no proof either way works better. I have seen people post that they have received the secure element warning when doing it both ways.

On a different note should this thread really be in the development section?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bp328i For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KEYofR
Old
Thanks Meter 215

Why? You are the one making an assertion by starting this thread so you should be the one obligated to prove that assertion.

But in fact you've done my work for me anyways. The links you post yourself already disprove that assertion by what they don't provide as justification for the advice they give.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to KEYofR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lennykravitz2004
Old
Thanks Meter 31
...and the issue at hand is also about whether or not using the Factory Data Reset borks the SE. I say it does. When I ran into GW issues the first time, I ran the Factory Data Reset, and afterwards, I kept getting an error massage specifically mentioning the SE (IIRC, "Secure element not responding"). EVERY single post I read about this message elsewhere through simple Google searches told me I was never using the SE on my first Note again.

Factory Data Reset = Toasted SE, as far as I've read
www.globalsoap.org

Don't worry... about a thing... 'cause every little thing... gonna be all right...

siraltus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYofR View Post
Why? You are the one making an assertion by starting this thread so you should be the one obligated to prove that assertion.

But in fact you've done my work for me anyways. The links you post yourself already disprove that assertion by what they don't provide as justification for the advice they give.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
Burden of proof lies with the accuser. You're the accuser.

siraltus
Old
(Last edited by siraltus; 18th February 2013 at 03:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp328i View Post
I'll add this to the discussion.

The first phone I had to Google Wallet on was my Verizon Galaxy Nexus (when wallet first came out and WAS stored completely on the secure element) then on my Sprint Galaxy S III and now on my Sprint Galaxy Note II.

I have never once reset Google Wallet on any of my phones before flashing a new ROM, and never have had a problem.

So not resetting Google Wallet before flashing a new ROM does not guarantee a secure element warning.

This debate has been going on since Google Wallet first came out on whether or not it helps to reset the app prior to wiping your phone and flashing a new ROM.

There really is no proof either way works better. I have seen people post that they have received the secure element warning when doing it both ways.

On a different note should this thread really be in the development section?

The issue is specific to wiping the ENTIRE phone - that is ALL partitions including /.android.secure. That's what a factory reset or a restore-to-stock (flashing a factory image) does. It doesn't happen when you just flash a ROM.

_-Jay-_
Old
Thanks Meter 73

So if I am getting SE errors now its hopeless for my N2?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Tapatalk 2
Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Roms!
If I've helped you, hit the thanks button!

bp328i
Old
Thanks Meter 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraltus View Post
The issue is specific to wiping the ENTIRE phone - that is ALL partitions including /.android.secure. That's what a factory reset or a restore-to-stock (flashing a factory image) does. It doesn't happen when you just flash a ROM.
Really...you think I have never done a factory reset before flashing a new ROM?
Sorry I forgot specifically mention that. I kind of thought that would have been assumed.

But again does this really belong in development?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bp328i For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

siraltus
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by _-Jay-_ View Post
So if I am getting SE errors now its hopeless for my N2?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Tapatalk 2
If you don't have a nandroid backup of a working Wallet install that you can go back to and are now getting the "secure element has stopped responding" error, you're done. Google Wallet will never work again on that phone.

siraltus
Old
(Last edited by siraltus; 18th February 2013 at 03:32 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp328i View Post
Really...you think I have never done a factory reset before flashing a new ROM?
Sorry I forgot specifically mention that. I kind of thought that would have been assumed.

But again does this really belong in development?

The factory reset in a custom ROM doesn't actually wipe everything and just formatting /system, /data, and /cache in recovery is also not the same. The "Factory Reset" option in CWM or TWRP actually just wipes /data, including /data/media, and /cache, it doesn't touch anything else. I'm talking about doing the ##786# kind of reset or a complete "restore-to-stock" flash from a factory image where the flash script actually wipes every single partition in the eMMC in sequence, even including the carrier partition. I don't know what you did or did not specifically do on your phone so I will not comment on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to siraltus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bp328i
Old
Thanks Meter 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraltus View Post
The factory reset in a custom ROM doesn't actually wipe everything. I'm talking about doing the ##786# kind of reset or a complete "restore-to-stock" flash from a factory image where the flash script actually wipes every single partition in sequence, even including the carrier partition. I don't know what you did or did not specifically do on your phone so I will not comment on it.
I did a "##786# kind of reset" on both my Galaxy Nexus and my Galaxy S III several times, never needed to on my Note II.

Never had an issue...

Good luck with your witch hunt.

The Following User Says Thank You to bp328i For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]