Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,462 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need recovery image

Tip us?

twack
Old
(Last edited by twack; 17th February 2013 at 08:11 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default Need recovery image

I cannot get my recovery/restore image set to active. IS there somewhere where I can download a recovery image and load it on a USB stick. Can someone put one up for me?

128GB Surface Pro

Thanks in advance,
Twack

twack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Someone has to have a recovery USB image that they upload somewhere for me????
PLEEEEEZE!

Trig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
If the Pro is the same as RT then the recovery is tagged to the machine somehow so a recovery from another machine wouldnt work.
Nokia N920, Surface Pro2 256Gb

*ALL* Surface RT WinRT 8.0 Recovery Files on UK FTP - Surface RT WinRT 8.1 Euro
Surface 2 8.1 Euro
Surface Pro Win 8.0 Euro
Surface Pro 2 Win8.1 Euro

*PM ONLY, DON'T EMAIL ME I WONT RESPOND*

schettj
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
I cannot get my recovery/restore image set to active.
looks like you'll be driving into Sacramento to visit the Microsoft store. They should be able to get you fixed up.

twack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Sacramento does not have a Microsoft Store. But now I have the files off the partition.

I can see the partition there in Disk Managemement but that's it. Using diskpart I assigned it a drive and copied the 3 files contained in the single directory "RecoveryImage" off onto a USB stick. They are:
"CreatePartition-UEFI.cmd"
"install.wim"
ResetConfig.xml"

How do I get the surface to see the USB and use these files in a restore from USB?

Thank you in advance,
Twack

HoHoHoHo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You can create a Recovery USB by going to Control Panel, click the Recovery icon and there is an option to create an USB Recovery drive from the recovery partition. You will need at least 8GB on the USB drive. After the backup is completed, you have the option to delete the Recovery partition and reclaim the 8GB of free space to your drive C.

schettj
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
I can see the partition there in Disk Managemement but that's it.
Wow I totally misunderstood - yep, if your surface is working just use it to make the recovery USB for you.

twack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Wow I totally misunderstood - yep, if your surface is working just use it to make the recovery USB for you.
I've tried that. It does not work. It only puts a few utilities on the USB and no recovery image.

Can someone please post the file structure listing of what is on a Surface Pro 128GB USB recovery?

TIA

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2638
@twack: Are you showing hidden and system files/folders? By default, Windows still hides those. That will make the recovery partition look pretty empty, but it's not.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Brightxda
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
I've tried that. It does not work. It only puts a few utilities on the USB and no recovery image.

Can someone please post the file structure listing of what is on a Surface Pro 128GB USB recovery?

TIA
Check these on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrwR5u2jI0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShKxTNgoO8