Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No it didn't!

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE OR YOU LOSE YOUR ALREADY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER
THIS ONLY WILL WORK IF YOU HAVE UNLOCKED YOUR BOOTLOADER BEFORE THE OTA
GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO TAKE THE PLUNGE

IF YOU ARE S-OFF PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD

To better explain this guide, what it does is explains how to get the 2.04 OTA firmware without losing your already ***Unlocked*** bootloader. You will have to lock your bootloader, then RUU back to 1.15, re-unlock your bootloader and take the OTA and then re-flash a custom recovery.​

This is what I did and it should work (Not a 100% Guarantee) :

Download the 1.15 RUU
Have your ORIGINAL Unlock_code.bin token ready (from when you've unlocked your bootloader on the 1.15 release)
Backup ALL of your sdcard contents as this will completely wipe the device
Have about 30~60 minutes to sit down and do this

[Step 1]:
Boot into Bootloader and if you aren't in fastboot click on fastboot to get there and if it says " fastboot usb " you're good now

[Step 2]:
Enter the following command:
Code:
fastboot oem lock
Then let it do its thing, it might reboot.

[Step 2a]:
Boot back into fastboot then right click RUU and click on " Run as Administrator " then follow the on screen instructions.

[Step 3]:
After the RUU finishes power off the device and then boot back into bootloader again and get to " fastboot usb " then open command prompt and navigate to where you have your " Unlock_code.bin "

[Step 3a]:
Enter the following code:
Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

[Step 3b]:
On your device use [Vol Up] to select " Yes " and then [Power] to proceed.

[Step 4]:
Then boot up and go to the " Update System " and check for an update (It should prompt you to take the OTA, do it)

You should now be good to go with the latest firmware and all thats left it to reflash TWRP or CWM and either a ROM of your choice or a Nandroid.
*** TAMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***

Here is a good ROM to flash after OTA [ROM][2.04.605.2] Stock Rooted Deodexed Zipaligned Semi-Debloated + Extras

After I completed all of these steps and took the OTA, I did not have to reflash the Unlock_code.bin file to unlock my bootloader it stayed unlocked after I took the OTA but in case yours does not just re-flash the Unlock_code.bin file one more time and it should do the trick.

Here is my proof that it worked for me:
2013-02-17_15-22-49.jpg 2013-02-17_15-22-44.jpg 20130217_152748.jpg

Last edited:

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
I see that this procedure keeps the bootloader unlocked. So I'm assuming that this will also allow us to reinstall superuser (supersu) again?

Yes or if you have a nandroid you can also restore that and it will be like it was just with the new firmware

That's all I did was re flash twrp and restored my nandroid and I'm all good

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
This is not how I did it, but glad it worked for you. I followed the guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2017525

I backed up my pics, movies, music and whatnot, then I flashed TWRP 2.4.1.0 and did a Nandroid backup of system and data. TWRP is known on our device to make better backups and restores than CWR. ***NOTE*** flashing the RUU will completely wipe your phone including your backup. Make sure you copy the entire TWRP folder to your PC!!!***

Next, I locked my bootloader using:
Code:
fastboot oem lock

I then flashed the RUU as administrator. When the device boots up don't worry about GPS or signing into Google. Force an OTA update under Settings\About\Software update. Accept the update. It will download and then ask you if you want to apply. Answer yes.

The phone will reboot into stock recovery and start flashing updates. It will reboot the recovery at least once while doing so. Do not touch your phone until it boots into Android automatically. Again, don't worry about GPS or Google login. You SHOULD boot into a message that says the 2.04 update was successful. The first reboot from my "update" did not stick. I had to force another OTA update download and told it to apply again. It worked for me the second time.

Once you have a successful 2.04 update, fastboot into bootloader and unlock your bootloader again with your original unlock_code.bin.

I'm not sure if this applies any more, but step 8 of that guide says to flash the unlocked kernel and recovery. He's referring to the kernel ripped from dsb's s-off dev phone he got from the DNA launch. It allows for root access and custom recoveries to be installed. I'm not sure if this is necessary any more, but it's the only kernel I know that when you flash it, it automatically makes the phone boot into Android and you have the new "Do no not distribute outside of HTC blah blah blah" HTC logo screen. It also makes your bootloader say ***TAMPERED*** again.

I've uploaded it here (Right click and save)

After it boots into Android copy the TWRP directory back from your PC. Reboot into fastboot and flash TWRP and any kernel you want. Restore your backup (system and data.) Flash any kernel modules necessary. Wipe dalvik cache and cache (do not factory reset or wipe system.) Reboot and PROFIT. (Restore your pics, movies, music and whatnot.)

Again, this is how I did it. YMMV.

Last edited:

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
This is not how I did it, but glad it worked for you. I followed the guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2017525

I backed up my pics, movies, music and whatnot, then I flashed TWRP 2.4.1.0 and did a Nandroid backup of system and data. TWRP is known on our device to make better backups and restores than CWR. ***NOTE*** flashing the RUU will completely wipe your phone including your backup. Make sure you copy the entire TWRP folder to your PC!!!***

Code:
fastboot oem lock

I then flashed the RUU as administrator. When the device boots up don't worry about GPS or signing into Google. Force an OTA update under Settings\About\Software update. Accept the update. It will download and then ask you if you want to apply. Answer yes.

The phone will reboot into stock recovery and start flashing updates. It will reboot the recovery at least once while doing so. Do not touch your phone until it boots into Android automatically. Again, don't worry about GPS or Google login. You SHOULD boot into a message that says the 2.04 update was successful. The first reboot from my "update" did not stick. I had to force another OTA update download and told it to apply again. It worked for me the second time.

I'm not sure if this applies any more, but step 8 of that guide says to flash the unlocked kernel and recovery. He's referring to the kernel ripped from dsb's s-off dev phone he got from the DNA launch. It allows for root access and custom recoveries to be installed. I'm not sure if this is necessary any more, but it's the only kernel I know that when you flash it, it automatically makes the phone boot into Android and you have the new "Do no not distribute outside of HTC blah blah blah" HTC logo screen. It also makes your bootloader say ***TAMPERED*** again.

After it boots into Android copy the TWRP directory back from your PC. Reboot into fastboot and flash TWRP and any kernel you want. Restore your backup (system and data.) Flash any kernel modules necessary. Wipe dalvik cache and cache (do not factory reset or wipe system.) Reboot and PROFIT. (Restore your pics, movies, music and whatnot.)

Thanks I forgot to add the Fastboot oem lock command...i fixed the op

I based my guide off of my own experience and the exact steps i took, to me its pretty straight forward and took as little effort as possible, it doesnt require flashing as much

That guide is to get back to Stock 1.15 what my guide is, is how to get the OTA 2.04 w/o losing the unlocked bootloader, and i wanted to make a more clean guide and put in in the Q & A section so people would see it if they came here to ask the question. Just trying to be helpful oh and that RUU link in that other guide is for the transformer TF300 Tablet haha

Last edited:

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
You're welcome. You never flashed unsecure.img? What kernel are you using? Do you have the "Do not distribute outside of HTC blah blah blah" in your logo? Does your bootloader say tampered?

look at where i have "This is my proof" section and no After I RUU'ed I didnt have to flash anything besides the Unlock_code.bin file... I did restore my previous nandroid but it had the same kernel as the ota has

and the only way to get rid of the HTC garbage is to get S-OFF and change some things in the hboot.img

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
When I click your proof button, nothing happens. All other "show content" work.

The newer kernels may allow root and custom recovery without messing with the HTC boot screen and putting tampered on the bootloader. I just did it to be better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com

The newer kernels may allow root and custom recovery without messing with the HTC boot screen and putting tampered on the bootloader. I just did it to better safe than sorry.

Oh well it should have loaded some pictures that I uploaded I'm on the OTA stock kernel. And the the tampered msg I believe is related to using a custom recovery as well as the boot screen msg

Everything seems to be working like all my root apps and such

Last edited:
Reactions: docnok63

ghstrdr1985

Sep 11, 2010
Midlothian
www.fedex.com
Ok so I followed the procedures here but cannot re-unlock the bootloader. OTA came through fine. When I attempted to apply the unlock token, the warning screen comes up & I vol+ to yes & press the power button. I let it run its cycle & then adb reboot bootloader to a relocked bootloader. I will attempting this a 3rd time. Do I need to continue doing this until it's unlocked?

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
Ok so I followed the procedures here but cannot re-unlock the bootloader. OTA came through fine. When I attempted to apply the unlock token, the warning screen comes up & I vol+ to yes & press the power button. I let it run its cycle & then adb reboot bootloader to a relocked bootloader. I will attempting this a 3rd time. Do I need to continue doing this until it's unlocked?

I going to assume it is, but I have to ask if it's the token you got from unlocking the first time? I've seen it posted that getting a new token from HTCdev does not work.

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
I going to assume it is, but I have to ask if it's the token you got from unlocking the first time? I've seen it posted that getting a new token from HTCdev does not work.

Yes it's the one from the very first time you would have unlocked the bootloader. After the OTA HTC has patched the exploit so you wouldn't even get to the step where you would get an Unlock_code.bin. I believe they patched the SuperCID hack.

Yes it is the original token. 3 times so far hasn't done the trick. I read elsewhere that to just keep doing it until it finally sticks.

Yea I've heard this as well, just keep trying. Best of luck to you. Try this, power off the device fully then boot strait into the bootloader and then flash it.

Last edited:

ghstrdr1985

Sep 11, 2010
Midlothian
www.fedex.com
After re-reading the procedures over & over, should I have unlocked the bootloader before OR after the OTA? The reason I ask is because I sent the OTA before trying to unlock the bootloader.

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
After re-reading the procedures over & over, should I have unlocked the bootloader before OR after the OTA? The reason I ask is because I sent the OTA before trying to unlock the bootloader.

First you would have Locked it
Then ran the RUU
Then Unlocked it with your token
Then take the OTA
Then flash a recovery

But I also said that if the OTA locked it back up to run the token again and it should have did the trick(this part im not 100% certain because mine didnt re-lock after I took the OTA (it stayed unlocked)

what do you get in the Command prompt when you run the token? and are you in fastboot when you do it or are you in bootloader when you do it?

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
As you can see, I didn't try to re-unlock until after getting the OTA. I'm not sure if it matters when you do it, but you have to do it in order to get root access and flash a custom recovery.

ghstrdr1985

Sep 11, 2010
Midlothian
www.fedex.com
Command prompt says it completed successfully. I'm in fastboot usb mode. I suppose I could try the RUU again & unlock the bootloader BEFORE the OTA...or is it too late to run the RUU again?

**EDIT***
Nevermind. It FINALLY unlocked. I think that was the 5th time. Again, I do thank you for all of your support on this. I must say this guide is probably the most straight-forward one here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE OR YOU LOSE YOUR ALREADY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER
    THIS ONLY WILL WORK IF YOU HAVE UNLOCKED YOUR BOOTLOADER BEFORE THE OTA
    GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO TAKE THE PLUNGE

IF YOU ARE S-OFF PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD

To better explain this guide, what it does is explains how to get the 2.04 OTA firmware without losing your already ***Unlocked*** bootloader. You will have to lock your bootloader, then RUU back to 1.15, re-unlock your bootloader and take the OTA and then re-flash a custom recovery.​

This is what I did and it should work (Not a 100% Guarantee) :

Download the 1.15 RUU
    Have your ORIGINAL Unlock_code.bin token ready (from when you've unlocked your bootloader on the 1.15 release)
    Backup ALL of your sdcard contents as this will completely wipe the device
    Have about 30~60 minutes to sit down and do this

[Step 1]:
    Boot into Bootloader and if you aren't in fastboot click on fastboot to get there and if it says " fastboot usb " you're good now

[Step 2]:
    Enter the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    Then let it do its thing, it might reboot.

[Step 2a]:
    Boot back into fastboot then right click RUU and click on " Run as Administrator " then follow the on screen instructions.

[Step 3]:
    After the RUU finishes power off the device and then boot back into bootloader again and get to " fastboot usb " then open command prompt and navigate to where you have your " Unlock_code.bin "

[Step 3a]:
    Enter the following code:
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

[Step 3b]:
    On your device use [Vol Up] to select " Yes " and then [Power] to proceed.

[Step 4]:
    Then boot up and go to the " Update System " and check for an update (It should prompt you to take the OTA, do it)

You should now be good to go with the latest firmware and all thats left it to reflash TWRP or CWM and either a ROM of your choice or a Nandroid.
    *** TAMPERED ***
    *** UNLOCKED ***

Here is a good ROM to flash after OTA [ROM][2.04.605.2] Stock Rooted Deodexed Zipaligned Semi-Debloated + Extras

After I completed all of these steps and took the OTA, I did not have to reflash the Unlock_code.bin file to unlock my bootloader it stayed unlocked after I took the OTA but in case yours does not just re-flash the Unlock_code.bin file one more time and it should do the trick.

Here is my proof that it worked for me:
    2013-02-17_15-22-49.jpg 2013-02-17_15-22-44.jpg 20130217_152748.jpg

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

Once you have a successful 2.04 update, fastboot into bootloader and unlock your bootloader again with your original unlock_code.bin.

The newer kernels may allow root and custom recovery without messing with the HTC boot screen and putting tampered on the bootloader. I just did it to better safe than sorry.

Oh well it should have loaded some pictures that I uploaded I'm on the OTA stock kernel. And the the tampered msg I believe is related to using a custom recovery as well as the boot screen msg

Everything seems to be working like all my root apps and such

so in this case being

"/cache/fota/OTAPkg.zip"

because that is the only zip name i have seen since its debut. and thanks BTW.

Yes that's what I believe it is

I have decided to give her hell and am almost done with the RUU/OTA UPDATE. I'll report back in a few when I get things all buttoned up.

Relock: Check
    RUU: Check
    Unlock: Check
    Update:

Yup looks right so far, if it locks after the OTA try a few more times to run the token
    @docnok63 to answer your question about the kernel being unsecure it is i was looking around and found it " ro.secure=0 "

Please vote in the poll too that would help me out a lot I appreciate it