5,600,571 Members 33,068 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did this method work for you?
Yes it did! 15 93.75%
No it didn't! 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

[GUIDE] How to Update to the 2.04 OTA and stay ***UNLOCKED***

Tip us?

.torrented
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1360

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider210 View Post
So I have my phone all set up just the way I'd like I know people said to perform nandroid backup

Currently I have unlocked, s-off and root. and frlashed with touch clockwork recovery

Where would I perform a nandroid backup and would that backup everything text, pic, videos, installed apps.

I would like to have the update but not have to reinstall and reconfigure my phone all over again...
Boot into recovery and click backup, yes it backs up EVERYTHING, and i mean it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider210 View Post
ok maybe I got confused, so why would the ota keep trying to pushed to my phone if I just flashed the firmware.

what did flashing the firmware do for me if i restored my nandroid backup?
the updated firmware helps make things like signal quality better and the software depends on the firmware to do what it needs (i am bad at explaining this) the firmware is low level software that helps run things better like the radio's the software is what runs at user level... your software is 1.15 (pre-ota) so when the phone sees that its being told its not up to date because its not 2.04

what im trying to say is firmware and software are 2 different things and the reason its telling you to update is because the software version you are running is not 2.04 (it doesnt look at what firmware version you have)

zanyguy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by .torrented View Post
all thats left it to reflash TWRP or CWM and either a ROM of your choice or a Nandroid.
Quick question: after we reflash the Nandroid backup that we take before starting on this process, will we be back to the old software version (1.15)? Is there anyway to then get on to 2.04 software version as provided in the OTA (and not a custom ROM)?

Thanks for the detailed guide.

Bigandrewgold
Old
Thanks Meter 530
Default Re: [GUIDE] How to Update to the 2.04 OTA and stay ***UNLOCKED***

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanyguy View Post
Quick question: after we reflash the Nandroid backup that we take before starting on this process, will we be back to the old software version (1.15)? Is there anyway to then get on to 2.04 software version as provided in the OTA (and not a custom ROM)?

If you don't restore your nandroid you'll keep the ota software. If you restore your nandroid the only thing you'll have is the updated radios, and not the software.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigandrewgold For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zanyguy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigandrewgold View Post
If you don't restore your nandroid you'll keep the ota software. If you restore your nandroid the only thing you'll have is the updated radios, and not the software.

How about if we go to advanced restore in CWM and choose to only restore data, cache and sd-ext from the Nandroid backup and not the boot and system. Would that work to keep us on the latest sw version provided in the OTA while still keeping all our original data?

.torrented
Old
(Last edited by .torrented; 24th February 2013 at 07:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1360

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

The only way to keep the 2.04 software is to not restore your nandroid or flash a 2.04 rom (you keep the firmware no matter what now that youve taken the OTA)

Oh and your welcome please vote in the poll if you havent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigandrewgold View Post

You will keep all of the firmware that was included in the OTA not just the radios but yes you will keep it

Quote:
How about if we go to advanced restore in CWM and choose to only restore data, cache and sd-ext from the Nandroid backup and not the boot and system. Would that work to keep us on the latest sw version provided in the OTA while still keeping all our original data?
No, what would most likely happen would be either FC's or you wont be able to boot, you are more than welcome to try but stuff might not work after you do that

zanyguy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
The only way to keep the 2.04 is to not restore your nandroid or flash a 2.04 rom
Please help because all I want is to get on the latest sw. version but also keep all my apps, settings and data intact and not have to go over it all over again. What are my options?

If I restore my Nandroid backup, can I then apply a custom 2.04 ROM or even the stock 2.04 ROM will that achieve my purpose?

Spider210
Old
Thanks Meter 17

Quote:
Boot into recovery and click backup, yes it backs up EVERYTHING, and i mean it

the updated firmware helps make things like signal quality better and the software depends on the firmware to do what it needs (i am bad at explaining this) the firmware is low level software that helps run things better like the radio's the software is what runs at user level... your software is 1.15 (pre-ota) so when the phone sees that its being told its not up to date because its not 2.04

what im trying to say is firmware and software are 2 different things and the reason its telling you to update is because the software version you are running is not 2.04 (it doesnt look at what firmware version you have)
Thanks for the explanation I didn't understand it last night but it makes perfect sense this morning.. Lack of sleep doesn't help

Sent from my Red Droid DNA

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Please help because all I want is to get on the latest sw. version but also keep all my apps, settings and data intact and not have to go over it all over again. What are my options?

If I restore my Nandroid backup, can I then apply a custom 2.04 ROM or even the stock 2.04 ROM will that achieve my purpose?
Yes I did that with the rim provided by the op it worked fine. All if my apps and data restored with nandroid then applied updated rom. The tweaks are just perks

Sent from my Red Droid DNA

.torrented
Old
(Last edited by .torrented; 24th February 2013 at 04:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1360

DONATE TO ME

Quote:

Ok these are your two and only two options:

1) Backup all of your apps with titanium backup then flash a 2.04.605.2 Rom (you will have to do a full wipe or you will get a bootloop) and then use Titanium backup to restore your User Apps + User Data (you cannot mix and match system data at all)

2) Flash a 2.04.60.2 Rom and just restore all of stuff the long way

Im sorry not trying to sound mean or anything but this is the downfall of flashing roms is when there are system updates because it usually requires full wipes and then you gotta do either of the two things i posted above

oh and with any 2.04.605.2 Rom the only kernel you can use at the moment is the bone stock 2.04.605.2 kernel (none of the custom ones until HTC releases the source code)

I personally took the OTA for the firmware only and then flashed back to a 1.15.605.4 Custom Rom and a Custom Kernel

zanyguy
Old
(Last edited by zanyguy; 24th February 2013 at 07:18 PM.) Reason: Added steps with links
Thanks Meter 1
Thx for your replies and help. I have figured out a way to do a full update to 2.04 without having to completely reconfigure the phone:

1. Get Facepalm S-OFF: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2155069
2. Flash radios: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2155915
3. Flash kernel: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2149951
4. Apply OTA stock ROM 2.04: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2149095

Please confirm if my understanding is correct