[Q] SGH-1747 mobile data connection problems

OP sh4d0ws1nX

17th February 2013, 11:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Hey guys,

First of all, sorry but I'm a complete newbie with this phone, however I've tried to do the necessary research and I think i've hit a block. First of all, my phone is a SGH-1747 (from the title) Samsung Galaxy s III 4G LTE or just Samsung Galaxy s III LTE which is network unlocked with original carrier being AT&T. I updated the phone to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 via Samsung Kies and everything went smoothly. It was originally my aunt's and I asked her to ship it to me here in Australia. So my current provider is Vodafone Australia and yes I do have a micro sim and can use the phone for almost everything except for the problem that I'm experiencing.

Okay so firstly I thought my problem was that everything I go on google play store via my mobile data (not WIFI), I was unable to update / download certain apps and it would give me a "package file is invalid" error. I've done researched tried clearing cache, cookies, data but nothing seemed to work. I also thought it might be something to do with only unable to download apps that are a certain size, seeing as I could download SOME smaller apps (like google apps updates, but not all) but it got to the point where I tried accessing apps that require an internet connection, and it won't load because of error "not connected to internet or you might be disconnected". At all times I am able to access the internet via internet browser and even search for apps via google play store. I also thought it might be app-related, so i tried different apps, no bingo. I can however download all these apps / updates when I am connected to WIFI at my house, can even access the games. Also thought it might be related to Vodafone not supporting 4G so I tried to change around the network modes but It didn't really make much of a difference... I've also tried factory resetting many times with no bingo.

So now i'm at the point where I don't know what's wrong with it. Do you guys have any ideas? Even vodafone people were unable to find a solution after spending about an hour trying to fix it with them.
17th February 2013, 11:35 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 31

85 posts
More
Re: [Q] SGH-1747 mobile data connection problems
Even with the sim unlocked you may need to manually add the correct apn for your specific carrier. Not sure what the correct apn for vodafone is, but im sure its listed somewhere on this forum or via a google search. Go to your settings>wireless&networks>more settings>mobile networks>access point names. Press the menu button and press add apn, enter the correct configuration. Before exiting the apn menu make sure to press menu button again and choose "save". On the following screen pick your newly entered apn, wait for the button to stay green and then exit. You should see the data icon appear in the status bar. Reboot the phone and it should work.

Sent from my Atat S3 that today thinks its a Galaxy Nexus......
18th February 2013, 01:59 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael3214

Even with the sim unlocked you may need to manually add the correct apn for your specific carrier. Not sure what the correct apn for vodafone is, but im sure its listed somewhere on this forum or via a google search. Go to your settings>wireless&networks>more settings>mobile networks>access point names. Press the menu button and press add apn, enter the correct configuration. Before exiting the apn menu make sure to press menu button again and choose "save". On the following screen pick your newly entered apn, wait for the button to stay green and then exit. You should see the data icon appear in the status bar. Reboot the phone and it should work.

Sent from my Atat S3 that today thinks its a Galaxy Nexus......

Thank you very much. Apparently when I got my sim, it was adding a proxy and a port number. According to the actual vodafone website there wasn't anything you're supposed to have in that and only that port and proxy was supposed to go into the MMS Proxy and MMS Port. Props to Vodafone for not knowing how to fix my problem even after spending 1 hour on the phone with them.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread