18th February 2013, 03:25 AM   |  #11  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 78

333 posts
More
Re: People that call root jailbreak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedB18C

Since Adam is the name behind unlocking the bootloader, he started calling it jailbreak due to the fact that there are now legal issues with "unlocking." Yes we all know the legal issue with unlocking is about unlocking to use on a different carrier. To make it easier for people to understand that he is not involved in unlocking carriers, we now jailbreak.

Sent From My Beans Powered Note2

But it is not the same. Jailbreak is to make a device be able to accept sideloading applications. Android doesn't need to do this. So there is no jailbreak for Android.

Unlocking, though now illegal, is not jailbreaking (making a device to accept sideloading apps).

Calling unlocking "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with less techy people.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)
18th February 2013, 03:33 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 638

1,038 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXT

But it is not the same. Jailbreak is to make a device be able to accept sideloading applications. Android doesn't need to do this. So there is no jailbreak for Android.

Unlocking, though now illegal, is not jailbreaking (making a device to accept sideloading apps).

Calling unlocking "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with less techy people.

If you dont like it, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude about it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
18th February 2013, 03:56 AM   |  #13  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 78

333 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowansta

Kinda annoying. Ya think? Must have had an iPhone for a bit and can't quit!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Agree 100%.

So annoying. There are lots of questions on Android forums now about jailbreaking Android. But there is no jailbreak in Android, because we have the sideloading settings within our settings menu (Settings > Security > Device administration > Unknown sources).

Calling unlocking a device with the name of "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with the less techy people.

What really they are asking is "how to root my Android device".

But they need to understand is what root really is. And what it is to have administration permissions in any Unix/Linux, including Android. Only then they will stop calling root with the name "jailbreak".

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota0206

If you dont like it, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude about it.

Talking about it is educating people about it. Educating people is what we can do to change it. That is what I am doing.

What are you doing?

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota0206

Do we really need a thread on this in the Verizon Note 2 Section?

Yes.

This is educating people to use the correct terminology. When they use correct terminology then they will get better responses to their questions.

Summary of Devices

18th February 2013, 04:01 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 638

1,038 posts
More
Quote:

Talking about it is educating people about it. Educating people is what we can do to change it. That is what I am doing.

What are you doing?

You got me. The only thing I am doing is questioning the logic of "educating" people by posting on the second page of a device specific thread, and how that is going to lead to real change for the entire Android development community that isnt limited to just XDA. Especially when its just a hobby to 90% of the community.

18th February 2013, 04:19 AM   |  #15  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 808

1,312 posts
More
It is what it is. We can all just accept that and move on

Sent From My Beans Powered Note2
The Following User Says Thank You to BoostedB18C For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 06:09 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 228

745 posts
More
Alright here comes my subjective take on this whole jailbreaking Android devices thing.

Do I hate it? Yep.

In my 3 years on Android and gaining root privileges on various devices I have never seen it referred to as jailbreaking, until I got this Note 2. Now I see it everywhere in the Android scenes.

Another thing I noticed is that with the Note 2 never have I seen so many iDerps come on the forums professing their new found relationships with Android and how they broke up with iOS. This thread can be considered useless but my God are those iConvert threads the Queens of Useless Threads. Why does anyone give a s*** that you converted to Android? Really?

Point being made here is that with the influx of iDolt users converting to Android there's an uncanny correlation with their terminology starting to crop up more and more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaRkL3AD3R For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 01:56 PM   |  #17  
Flag Irmo, SC
Thanks Meter: 2,882

5,062 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Agree 100%.

So annoying. There are lots of questions on Android forums now about jailbreaking Android. But there is no jailbreak in Android, because we have the sideloading settings within our settings menu (Settings > Security > Device administration > Unknown sources).

Calling unlocking a device with the name of "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with the less techy people.

But they need to understand is what root really is. And what it is to have administration permissions in any Unix/Linux, including Android. Only then they will stop calling root with the name "jailbreak".

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

What are you doing?

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Yes.

This is educating people to use the correct terminology. When they use correct terminology then they will get better responses to their questions.

Summary of Devices

I guess I need to get more tech savvy because I thought when I was buying and selling I phones (those things are gold) I wrote to and modified system files. I thought to accept the gevy unlock it psyched and changed system files. I guess I'm wing though because jail breaking is only for side loading apps.

Oh and we don't need that please tell me how to add Google wallet without root. By the way you know att blocked unknown apps before. So I guess then we did jail break or phones?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kintwofan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 03:28 PM   |  #18  
Flag Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks Meter: 123

858 posts
Quote:

Unlocking, though now illegal

This is incorrect, unlocking the bootloader is not illegal, unlocking for other carriers is but that's not what this thread is about.
18th February 2013, 03:31 PM   |  #19  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134

2,391 posts
Donate to Me
More
I don't see why it matters what you call it. Break it down and the words works.

Jail break. To remove restrictions and become free. Isn't that what we did? Removed a restricted boot loader to allow custom kernels and recovery which allows custom Roms.

Stop trying to be politically correct on this. If you're feelings are hurt over a simple word then your life must be depressing.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 03:40 PM   |  #20  
Flag Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks Meter: 123

858 posts
Quote:

Before you educate others you must first learn it for yourself, unlocking the bootloader is not illegal, and you don't root your phone, you gain root access.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

I don't see why it matters what you call it. Break it down and the words works.

Jail break. To remove restrictions and become free. Isn't that what we did? Removed a restricted boot loader to allow custom kernels and recovery which allows custom Roms.

Stop trying to be politically correct on this. If you're feelings are hurt over a simple word then your life must be depressing.

Add to the fact that the people trying to be PC are factually incorrect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eraursls1984 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread