OP gowansta

18th February 2013, 03:44 PM   |  #21  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18

106 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: People that call root jailbreak...
I just don't respond even if I know the answer. Before I post anything I make sure that I use the correct word correctly so that the outcome is exactly what I am expecting when said modification has been applied. It matters not what it is called. To me a minor annoyance that I choose to correct. I loose no sleep!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
18th February 2013, 03:48 PM   |  #22  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,754

9,747 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowansta

I just don't respond even if I know the answer. Before I post anything I make sure that I use the correct word correctly so that the outcome is exactly what I am expecting when said modification has been applied. It matters not what it is called. To me a minor annoyance that I choose to correct. I loose no sleep!

Yet you made a thread about it?

LOL.

I get you didn't loose sleep, but did you lose sleep?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 03:52 PM   |  #23  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,134

2,391 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraursls1984

Before you educate others you must first learn it for yourself, unlocking the bootloader is not illegal, and you don't root your phone, you gain root access.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Add to the fact that the people trying to be PC are factually incorrect.

Yup. I hated Microsoft's "I am a PC" ads for this reason. My Macbook Pro is a PC. My note 2 with a MHL adapter and keyboard and mouse is a PC.

My commodore 64 is a PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 03:59 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 1,613

1,528 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXT

But it is not the same. Jailbreak is to make a device be able to accept sideloading applications. Android doesn't need to do this. So there is no jailbreak for Android.

Unlocking, though now illegal, is not jailbreaking (making a device to accept sideloading apps).

Calling unlocking "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with less techy people.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

Mmm. Not true. Jailbreaking is more than just being able to sideload apps. It involves gaining root access and readwrite capabilities to the filesystem. Oh look at that. They're the same thing, just different terminology.

Unlocking a bootloader allows un...signed... binaries, well look at that, you need either unsigned binary or arbitrary code execution in order to have root access and readwrite access to the file system.

Might wanna do a little more research next time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
Last edited by times_infinity; 18th February 2013 at 04:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to times_infinity For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 04:13 PM   |  #25  
Flag Irmo, SC
Thanks Meter: 2,882

5,062 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Yup. I hated Microsoft's "I am a PC" ads for this reason. My Macbook Pro is a PC. My note 2 with a MHL adapter and keyboard and mouse is a PC.

My commodore 64 is a PC.

Boy I hated those ads too!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
18th February 2013, 04:33 PM   |  #26  
Flag Charleston Il
Thanks Meter: 415

1,090 posts
So if I show people my new note 2, and call it an iPhone, it is alright then? I mean they are both touch screen hand held PCs. Not that I give a ****, but when I first came to xda, people really cared about it. Maybe this is where the op is coming from.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeramyEggs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 04:39 PM   |  #27  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,754

9,747 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeramyEggs

So if I show people my new note 2, and call it an iPhone, it is alright then? I mean they are both touch screen hand held PCs. Not that I give a ****, but when I first came to xda, people really cared about it. Maybe this is where the op is coming from.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

It is a far cry to call something you buy, that SAYS NOTE II on it, an iPhone.

This is different and again, we could argue that rooting is a stupid name for it too, considering that you aren't adding root, nor are you rooting the device. You are simply gaining access to root user level privileges that were there in the first place, just locked down.

A better name would be getting admin access to your phone, but that doesn't really have a ring to it, so who the hell cares?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 05:42 PM   |  #28  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 78

333 posts
More
That was in replying to an earlier post.
The only logical definition in Android to call "jailbreak" is: To unlock device, without permission of current carrier, to be used on another carrier. After all it is illegal. Which you can go to jail for it.

My point is meshing terms like this only causes confusion with both non-techy people and with users of other carriers that don't deal with locked bootloader. Terminology has to be able to be understood across the entire community, not just for users of one carrier.

How many terminology was used within this thread to discribe "jailbreak"? Can you see how that can cause confusion? I am just saying.

Summary of Devices

Last edited by JaguarXT; 18th February 2013 at 05:51 PM.
18th February 2013, 05:47 PM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Deleted by Universexdadev
Last edited by Universexdadev; 18th February 2013 at 09:53 PM.
18th February 2013, 06:51 PM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 1,052

2,758 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXT

That was in replying to an earlier post.
The only logical definition in Android to call "jailbreak" is: To unlock device, without permission of current carrier, to be used on another carrier. After all it is illegal. Which you can go to jail for it.

My point is meshing terms like this only causes confusion with both non-techy people and with users of other carriers that don't deal with locked bootloader. Terminology has to be able to be understood across the entire community, not just for users of one carrier.

How many terminology was used within this thread to discribe "jailbreak"? Can you see how that can cause confusion? I am just saying.

Summary of Devices

There is so much that is wrong with this response. Please read over your posts before hitting submit. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to hopesrequiem For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread