People that call root jailbreak...

Tip us?

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotzach15 View Post
I'm just going to point out that its unlikely that most cops would even know what unlocking a phone means. Therefore, it's a useless law that shouldn't be implemented except through the carrier's contract.
If a carrier files a police report...they will know.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!

DopeShotz
Old
Thanks Meter 3
This is the most useless thread ever!!!! Interesting and funny read though!
The Following User Says Thank You to DopeShotz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whiplashh
Old
Thanks Meter 1391
Default Re: People that call root jailbreak...

Honestly, I just call root "jailbreak" because most people, if they own an iPhone or not, know what a jailbreak for iPhone means (to free the phone) so I call it a jailbreak for an android. It is just easier for some people to understand. Not everyone know what root or root permissions/files are. I understand how it could be annoying but it helps others understand.

Sent From My Rooted, S-OFF'd Blackberry Curve using the iOS XDA Application for Android.
-
Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to Whiplashh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

universexda
Old
(Last edited by universexda; 22nd February 2013 at 03:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
Do you have the exact verbiage that clarifies that?
Reading the Library of Congress Final Rule is like stubbing your toe. Here's the official document: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2012-26308.pdf

What I have seen regarding full price phones is this from one columnist at Cnet: "The new no-no is buying a locked phone with a hefty carrier discount and then unlocking it on your own and without the carrier's permission." http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...egal-saturday/

However you may be right about it being illegal to unlock even after the contract runs out. Per another columnist at Cnet: "the Library of Congress that prohibits unlocking phones without the carrier's permission -- even when a customer's contract with the carrier has expired." http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...00000-trigger/

But I'd really like to see other analyses of the Library of Congress Final Rule.

One thing I understand from senior phone hackers and developers is that the Verizon GN2 (full price or contract) is already unlocked and from what I can glean from the columnists, in that case buying full price does allow you to use the phone on other carriers.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

By the way here's the link to the White House petition seeking to overturn the Library of Congress ruling: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...legal/1g9KhZG7

It's the least you can do if you really want to see the rule overturned.
The Following User Says Thank You to universexda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bond32
Old
Thanks Meter 115

I think people posting they "bricked" their phone when more than likely it just needs a cache wipe, data wipe, or *gasp* Odin to stock is worse...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

richii0207
Old
Thanks Meter 392

For the next phone, you can "unlock" it yourself and call it whatever you want.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
Rom: Unrooted / Stock

exilepa
Old
Thanks Meter 6
We had a co-worker that was calling his data plan the "iphone unlimited plan" that he didn't want to give up. We had to explain that unlimited wasn't iphone specific, painful.

Springy_Minaj
Old
Thanks Meter 23

I laugh at Jailbroken iPhone users trying to show off their phones when almost all the things they do you can do on a non-rooted android device.

Currently Using: Moto X (Verizon Dev Edition) / Nexus 7 (2013)
Retired: HTC One, iPhone 5s, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S3, iPhone 4s, Droid X
The Following User Says Thank You to Springy_Minaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Morkai Almandragon
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond32 View Post
I think people posting they "bricked" their phone when more than likely it just needs a cache wipe, data wipe, or *gasp* Odin to stock is worse...

THIS x 10 lol
I can live with soft brick. But a "Bricked Pone" is a dead useless bloody phone, not one you have working again in 30 minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Morkai Almandragon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]