Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 50,801 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Possible to get midi input to our phones? [YES]

Tip us?

Max_Pain
Old
(Last edited by Max_Pain; 18th February 2013 at 05:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 331
Default Possible to get midi input to our phones? [YES]

Is there a way to get midi input recognized on our phones? On my pc I use the rock band 3 keytar connected via a midi to usb adapter and I can do midi playback.
Is there a way to do this on our phones via an otg cable?

EDIT: got it done! check my post below.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
HTC Wizard -> HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy S4 (wife) -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Samsung Galaxy Note III

Max_Pain
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 331
Default Re: Possible to get midi input to our phones?

Seems like I found qhat I needed. Will try it tonight and report.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...grandpiano.pro

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
HTC Wizard -> HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D -> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> Samsung Galaxy S4 (wife) -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Samsung Galaxy Note III

Max_Pain
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 331
it works beautifully and way easier than I expected.

connected my otg cable and the phone said usb connector connected (since when is this a thing!?), plugged in the midi-usb adapter to the otg cable and right away it prompted me to open with the software I linked above and another midi software I had installed.

and bam, it was working. I messed around a bit to find the better settings for my keytar, but this thing works. over Bluetooth and with the headphone plug. there's a little bit of lag over Bluetooth but for my uses I wanted it straight to the speaker so i'm using the stereo cable. now I don't need a pc to get sound out of the keytar.

mark this as one more day i'm amazed at what my phone can do.

by the way, it functions as a synth using the software I mentioned above, so I can play harpsichord, organ, piano, etc. and the sound keeps on playing even with the screen off.

happy camper = me.