Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

YU Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Question about TW based ROMs vs AOSP based ROMs.

OP rizzodg

18th February 2013, 01:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21

268 posts
Hey guys, I read somewhere that Touchwiz based ROMs tend to have better battery life, higher data speeds, and better reception. Is this true? I've been running AOSP ROMs pretty much since the beginning, and can't really find any TW ROMs that sound good. I also dont care about the TW features since they all seem like lazy gimmicks to me. However, if they do have better reception, speeds, and battery life, I might switch.
18th February 2013, 02:25 AM   |  #2  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 1,500

2,337 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzodg

Hey guys, I read somewhere that Touchwiz based ROMs tend to have better battery life, higher data speeds, and better reception. Is this true? I've been running AOSP ROMs pretty much since the beginning, and can't really find any TW ROMs that sound good. I also dont care about the TW features since they all seem like lazy gimmicks to me. However, if they do have better reception, speeds, and battery life, I might switch.

TW has better bluetooth audio...aaaaaaaand thats about the all advantages i can think of think of.

i get hours more battery life on my AOKP rom than my wife does on her stock s3. identical reception. identical LTE. loads more rom/user options. i dont think i have to point out why millions of s3's are running an aosp-based rom. cheers
18th February 2013, 05:43 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 88

705 posts
Re: [Q] Question about TW based ROMs vs AOSP based ROMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBeerdroiDx

TW has better bluetooth audio...aaaaaaaand thats about the all advantages i can think of think of.

i get hours more battery life on my AOKP rom than my wife does on her stock s3. identical reception. identical LTE. loads more rom/user options. i dont think i have to point out why millions of s3's are running an aosp-based rom. cheers

+1^^^^^

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
18th February 2013, 06:10 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21

268 posts
So its not true that TW based ROMs take better quality pictures than AOSP ROMs?
18th February 2013, 06:48 PM   |  #5  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 72

330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzodg

So its not true that TW based ROMs take better quality pictures than AOSP ROMs?

I believe that picture quality is a subjective metric. Some people prefer the pics from AOSP, some from TW. Other's can't tell the difference. The different frameworks allow for different options. Honestly it is a matter of taste. My best advice is to flash to stock or another TW ROM and take some pictures. Only way you are going to know for sure. Other's experiences may very well be different than your own.
18th February 2013, 08:23 PM   |  #6  
Flag 36527
Thanks Meter: 4

19 posts
More
Truly a matter of what ya like, I use task 650 AOKP and could never loose ROM control or the extras I get with AOKP as far as camera, sound and signal being better I see it all about the same, if you can tell a difference you sir are sharper than I. As far as the battery I'm happy, but I've herd of crazy life like 7 days on TW but I don't turn anything off and use my phone a decent amount. Like already stated flash away and test for a few days to see which and report back

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361215208564.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1741154   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361215217415.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1741155  
18th February 2013, 08:51 PM   |  #7  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 1,500

2,337 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanewalker1

Truly a matter of what ya like, I use task 650 AOKP and could never loose ROM control or the extras I get with AOKP as far as camera, sound and signal being better I see it all about the same, if you can tell a difference you sir are sharper than I. As far as the battery I'm happy, but I've herd of crazy life like 7 days on TW but I don't turn anything off and use my phone a decent amount. Like already stated flash away and test for a few days to see which and report back

The only way anyone is getting 7 days on a single charge is with airplane mode on, all other features off and setting it on top of their fridge for a week...especially with TW
18th February 2013, 09:48 PM   |  #8  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 72

330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBeerdroiDx

The only way anyone is getting 7 days on a single charge is with airplane mode on, all other features off and setting it on top of their fridge for a week...especially with TW

I doubt that is true as well. TW has a lot of bloat by design and all of that equals faster battery drain.
19th February 2013, 12:49 AM   |  #9  
Flag 36527
Thanks Meter: 4

19 posts
More

19th February 2013, 02:32 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 5,048

9,577 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjranucci

I believe that picture quality is a subjective metric. Some people prefer the pics from AOSP, some from TW. Other's can't tell the difference. The different frameworks allow for different options. Honestly it is a matter of taste. My best advice is to flash to stock or another TW ROM and take some pictures. Only way you are going to know for sure. Other's experiences may very well be different than your own.

I'm trying Task650's AOKP and I don't see too much of a downgrade in camera quality, but camcorder recordings are quite choppy. Other than that, I'd take this rom over TW any day.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread