Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 54,603 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

Tip us?
 
Chasoscar
Old
#1  
Chasoscar's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 22
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

I keep getting a notification about an ATT update and I was wondering if it will affect my rooted phone. I just have a basic 'stock' odin root, not a custom Rom. The update will not let me disable notifications and will only let me delay the reminders 8 hrs........... I am getting tired of seeing the notifications and dont know what it will do if I update. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks
 
AndroidSon
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 41
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasoscar View Post
I keep getting a notification about an ATT update and I was wondering if it will affect my rooted phone. I just have a basic 'stock' odin root, not a custom Rom. The update will not let me disable notifications and will only let me delay the reminders 8 hrs........... I am getting tired of seeing the notifications and dont know what it will do if I update. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks
Yeah it will remove the root but you can re-root it after the update or use supersu pro to conserve root (though not guaranteed).
 
slicingtaco
Old
#3  
slicingtaco's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 318
Posts: 896
Join Date: May 2012
Location: C:\Earth\USA\California\Freakmont
Have you modified any system apps or files at all? If not i don't see why you won't, just be sure to run Voodoo OTA Keeper before installing the update and restore it after the update. As this update patches the ExynosAbuse exploit
PHN NoteII
ROM DN3v5.2
KRN AGNi
RCV TWRP


TAB Sero7Pro
ROM DoPa AOSP
KRN Stock
RCV CWM
 
robstunner
Old
#4  
robstunner's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 512
Posts: 3,899
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Default Re: [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

Download OTA root keeper from the play store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
 
ReggieSmith
Old
#5  
ReggieSmith's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 391
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hampton, GA
Default Re: [Q] ATT software update with rooted phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasoscar View Post
I keep getting a notification about an ATT update and I was wondering if it will affect my rooted phone. I just have a basic 'stock' odin root, not a custom Rom. The update will not let me disable notifications and will only let me delay the reminders 8 hrs........... I am getting tired of seeing the notifications and dont know what it will do if I update. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks
That update (from like 2/18 or something) is a baseband update (to MA4) and didnt mess with root on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to ReggieSmith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Chasoscar
Old
#6  
Chasoscar's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 22
Join Date: Jan 2013
I went ahead and accepted the update and it didnt effect my root, but I did get a notification on the 'pull down' screen that the update was unsuccessful.
 
wherestheanykey
Old
#7  
wherestheanykey's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 204
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieSmith View Post
That update (from like 2/18 or something) is a baseband update (to MA4) and didnt mess with root on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
So you are saying that you were on a rooted stock LK2 ROM, and ran the OTA update successfully without losing root? And this was without using RootKeeper OTA or SuperuserSU set to protect root?
 
ChefJ
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 14
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasoscar View Post
I went ahead and accepted the update and it didnt effect my root, but I did get a notification on the 'pull down' screen that the update was unsuccessful.
Same here. My phone kept rebooting to TWRP also, which may have something to do with it.
 
wherestheanykey
Old
#9  
wherestheanykey's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 204
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJ View Post
Same here. My phone kept rebooting to TWRP also, which may have something to do with it.
Your phone will not correctly install an OTA update if you have a custom recovery. You will need to find it in the development forums, already rooted, and as a flashable ZIP in custom recovery.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


MediaTek Continues Steps Towards Being Developer-Friendly

Not too long ago MediaTek was very closed off towards the mobile developer … more

Sony PS4 Remote Play Ported to All Android Devices

Im pretty sure that every informed gamer out there perked their ears up when Sony came out … more

Change Your Samsung Galaxy S2’s Dialer Background in Real Time

As with anything, if youve looked at something long enough, things can … more

Increase Your Multitasking Workflow with C-Floating Windows

Technology has put life on the fast track. Lazy, relaxed days have turned into … more