Best Car Dock For Note 2?

Search This thread
Nov 26, 2012
I've narrowed it down to these 3

http://www.ibolt.co/ibxs-33603

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004G1L52Q

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007BCJKQA

The first one looks optimal because of that cord that connects to only one side of the phone and can connect to the car charger and the aux. ( shows around 1:30 of the video )
Tried googling for a cord like that but couldn't find any... if there are cords like that sold separately I may consider the cd one more.

Please let me know your opinions and if there are any cords like that.

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009
Ibolt had a rocky start with their presale...but if they get their **** together, I would recommend their product.

swyped all these spelling errors from my galaxy note 2

Flexia32

Dec 15, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have the ibolt dock and am hapoy with it now that they shipped the charging arm. What I like is that it will hold other phone in the future not just the note2

Nov 26, 2012
I have the ibolt dock and am hapoy with it now that they shipped the charging arm. What I like is that it will hold other phone in the future not just the note2

pretty sure most of these other ones hold most phones as well.
i just kinda have a thing for it blocking my view, rather it be on the cd slot but i like the cord where it can connect to charge and aux from only 1 plug on the phone

was wondering if there are any cords like that sold separately

D3_

Mar 9, 2010
London
The first one looks optimal because of that cord that connects to only one side of the phone and can connect to the car charger and the aux. ( shows around 1:30 of the video )
Tried googling for a cord like that but couldn't find any... if there are cords like that sold separately I may consider the cd one more.

Please let me know your opinions and if there are any cords like that.

ibolt are supposedly going to sell the chord separately, though I don't know when they open to do so. I bought the official s3 dock and will be buying that ibolt cable once it's available.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

nmw407

Mar 2, 2009
http://www.clingobyallsop.eu/car-mounts/universal-car-phone-mount

I just buy this car mount and is the best i can find untill now...i like because u only grip to the phone back...

I keep hearing reviews that the cling part gets gummy in the heat. I stayed away from that one since I'm in Florida and it gets pretty hot here most of the year.

I too am on the hunt for the perfect car mount... I'm leaning towards the mountek just because I'm tired of the suction cup models not sticking to the dash, and the vent models don't work for me.

apallohadas

Sep 4, 2010
I keep hearing reviews that the cling part gets gummy in the heat. I stayed away from that one since I'm in Florida and it gets pretty hot here most of the year.

I too am on the hunt for the perfect car mount... I'm leaning towards the mountek just because I'm tired of the suction cup models not sticking to the dash, and the vent models don't work for me.

You'd be correct sir. When the gummy part heats up from being in the sun for a while (or from dust collecting), your phone will shoot off the minute you break hard.

My old HTC One X took a few tumbles from a similar gum-based mount. If you're using in a stationary function, say on a desk or wall near a desk, it'd probably be ok.

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
How hard do you want to work for it and how much do you care what it looks like?

I butchered a HTC HD2 dock to work. It looks good (subjective of course but there's almost no clips and wires and latches and junk, very minimal) and it's secure (it is suction cup, it's just been a good working suction cup for me) includes usb charging, one handed not a ugly little cable hanging off to the side.

But it was kind of a ***** flipping the usb port over and still having it point at the right angle and not bugger up the wire connecting to it. But all in all took less than two hours and I love it every minute I'm in the car, so, worth it.

ProClip makes an even more convenient mount as far as using it. Like a slot you drop the phone in, no aiming, requires no attention at all. Usb charging. Very stable. But ugly. In my truck it would be fine but in my nice car I just don't want to look at something so blocky and mechanical if I can avoid it. It's not the worst by far in that respect but I just like better if it's possible. Also it's $100 in two parts. If it looked better I'd have no problem with that. The HD2 mount was 70 I think but it served the entire lifespan of my og evo and now works for my gn2 so that 70 is pretty good by now.

The new ibolt one? Blech. Well it looks a little better than most commodity universal mounts. The aluminum rails are at least cooler than the usual all black plastic. But to me it's only a slight improvement. It's still a generic crappola universal gps/phone clamp like all the rest. It's one unique feature is the special usb cable that will trigger smart dock mode. But thanks to Samsung there is no distinct car mode detection, just smart dock mode. So if you assign that to a car home app, you get the car home everywhere i cluding your desk and nightstand. We can use nfc tags and get a better result than that with no special cable. So it's back to being a completely generic, ugly, inconvenient, holder.

The next best option I've seen is this universal one that has springloaded grabber arms, but they have it set up for one handed operation. The arms are open when the dock is empty. When you put the phone in it presses a button that releases the arms to close on the phone. It's surprisingly secure. I shook the mount all around trying to shake the phone free.l and it didn't budge. When the arms close, two buttons pop out at the same time opposite each arm, on oposite sides of the phone. To release the phone you just grab the phone, and your thumb & forefinger are already right there on those two buttons. Press the buttons together and that opens the arms. So you are releasing the phone and grabbing the phone in the same motion. It works quite well. No usb built in but the port is exposed to use your own cable. Looks are fair. They are are thin and unobtrusive compared to many and there's only two arms on the sides and two resting pegs on the bottom. You could hack those rests right off and it would work exactly as well and look significantly neater. Suction cup base. It's called Smart Tap.

Another option is someone Someone on xda here came up with a pretty clean hack of the original note mount. No filing, just a little heat gun softening.

I never heard of Mountek so thanks for the clue I'll check it out.

There is really no "good" solution for the this phone yet.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: bojibadelles

assklown

Dec 20, 2008
I ordered one the "iMagnet Cradle-less Magnetic Mount with Quick-snap Technology". It should be here tomorrow. I'd post a link, but I haven't gotten enough posts in to get that ability, even though my account is pretty old. :p

It's one of the magnetic mounts. You stick a metal disk on your phone/case and bam. Has good reviews, so I thought i'd give it a try.

Nov 26, 2012
http://www.clingobyallsop.eu/car-mounts/universal-car-phone-mount

I just buy this car mount and is the best i can find untill now...i like because u only grip to the phone back...

yeah i saw a couple bad reviews on that as well so it kinda turned me off, i'd rather get something that's more secure.
i really like the ibolt cable, not a big fan of suction cups either so the mountek looks optimal if only i could get that cable separate :( i might just end up getting ibolt because of the cable

you guys have given some really good insight,i will check out the hd2 as well and see if i could get that to work haha.
about the smart dock mode, i don't have any other dock elsewhere so that's not an issue for me, but it doesn't go into dock mode if i plug in usb to connect to the computer or plug it into my charger does it?

Last edited:

Beamen1

Nov 16, 2010
I just got the iOtti mount for mine. I LOVE it!

Here's my "review": http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1982558&page=3

$T2eC16VHJHwE9n8iiIQhBQ5v-gJ1Yg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!igFCw)tsRG3BQ5v-i3NM!~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:

vectron

Apr 23, 2011

Not sure where you are located, but I guess we are far away from summertime to test it out if it stays stuck to the surface? I was looking at this case as well, until read in another forum about people having issues with a sticky part of the suction cup especially when it gets hot outside. Maybe it was a defective batch or whatever. That kind of put me away from buying it, plus I was waiting for Arkon to release their slim grip ultra mount with a sticky suction cup I actually have it coming my way next week and will review it once I get it. But I don't think it has any release buttons, etc. like their other grip mount I had for my DX. I guess I'm still on the fence until I get it and test it out. But I'm definitely glad iOttie is working out for you! I just wish they would drop "i" cause I'm sure a lot of android people buying their mounts as well lol!!!

sleepy8686

Feb 18, 2013
Detroit
The one from iOttie on amazon is worth every penny it works too well lol make sure where you it is where you want it cause it sticks like rubber cement!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
The one from iOttie on amazon is worth every penny it works too well lol make sure where you it is where you want it cause it sticks like rubber cement!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

So once you release a suction cup latch you have to pry it off the dash board with a butter knife? :p Will it take off dashboard textured layer or so? Not sure if you were kidding or serious about it sticking like cement :confused:

Beamen1

Nov 16, 2010
So once you release a suction cup latch you have to pry it off the dash board with a butter knife? :p Will it take off dashboard textured layer or so? Not sure if you were kidding or serious about it sticking like cement :confused:

He is not kidding. Read the Amazon reviews. This thing sticks to anything and the quick release is a GOD sent. It's SO easy to take the phone in and out of the mount, and once you put it in the mount it isn't going any where. Lots of adjustable settings. I LOVE it.

On my previous mounts I didn't even use them that often (only when I needed GPS), but this thing is so easy to take in/out that I do it every time I drive the car. It is worth every penny for sure!

Reactions: Brad.S.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The problem with the Arkon is the springs are maxed out to get the note 2 in. I feel like its going to break or the robber feet are going to roll up from premature wear. :thumbdown:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
    Arkon has a new one that expands more and has longer feet:

http://www.arkon.com/Slim-Grip Ultra/index.html

I've used it with the Note 2, Nexus 4 and even my Nexus 7.
    How hard do you want to work for it and how much do you care what it looks like?

I butchered a HTC HD2 dock to work. It looks good (subjective of course but there's almost no clips and wires and latches and junk, very minimal) and it's secure (it is suction cup, it's just been a good working suction cup for me) includes usb charging, one handed not a ugly little cable hanging off to the side.

But it was kind of a ***** flipping the usb port over and still having it point at the right angle and not bugger up the wire connecting to it. But all in all took less than two hours and I love it every minute I'm in the car, so, worth it.

ProClip makes an even more convenient mount as far as using it. Like a slot you drop the phone in, no aiming, requires no attention at all. Usb charging. Very stable. But ugly. In my truck it would be fine but in my nice car I just don't want to look at something so blocky and mechanical if I can avoid it. It's not the worst by far in that respect but I just like better if it's possible. Also it's $100 in two parts. If it looked better I'd have no problem with that. The HD2 mount was 70 I think but it served the entire lifespan of my og evo and now works for my gn2 so that 70 is pretty good by now.

The new ibolt one? Blech. Well it looks a little better than most commodity universal mounts. The aluminum rails are at least cooler than the usual all black plastic. But to me it's only a slight improvement. It's still a generic crappola universal gps/phone clamp like all the rest. It's one unique feature is the special usb cable that will trigger smart dock mode. But thanks to Samsung there is no distinct car mode detection, just smart dock mode. So if you assign that to a car home app, you get the car home everywhere i cluding your desk and nightstand. We can use nfc tags and get a better result than that with no special cable. So it's back to being a completely generic, ugly, inconvenient, holder.

The next best option I've seen is this universal one that has springloaded grabber arms, but they have it set up for one handed operation. The arms are open when the dock is empty. When you put the phone in it presses a button that releases the arms to close on the phone. It's surprisingly secure. I shook the mount all around trying to shake the phone free.l and it didn't budge. When the arms close, two buttons pop out at the same time opposite each arm, on oposite sides of the phone. To release the phone you just grab the phone, and your thumb & forefinger are already right there on those two buttons. Press the buttons together and that opens the arms. So you are releasing the phone and grabbing the phone in the same motion. It works quite well. No usb built in but the port is exposed to use your own cable. Looks are fair. They are are thin and unobtrusive compared to many and there's only two arms on the sides and two resting pegs on the bottom. You could hack those rests right off and it would work exactly as well and look significantly neater. Suction cup base. It's called Smart Tap.

Another option is someone Someone on xda here came up with a pretty clean hack of the original note mount. No filing, just a little heat gun softening.

I never heard of Mountek so thanks for the clue I'll check it out.

There is really no "good" solution for the this phone yet.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

He is not kidding. Read the Amazon reviews. This thing sticks to anything and the quick release is a GOD sent. It's SO easy to take the phone in and out of the mount, and once you put it in the mount it isn't going any where. Lots of adjustable settings. I LOVE it.

On my previous mounts I didn't even use them that often (only when I needed GPS), but this thing is so easy to take in/out that I do it every time I drive the car. It is worth every penny for sure!

$T2eC16VHJHwE9n8iiIQhBQ5v-gJ1Yg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!igFCw)tsRG3BQ5v-i3NM!~~60_12.JPG

I have one to and was about to recommend it. It's pretty much PERFECT.
    I tried so many mounts I lost track. lol I don't care for the suction type mounts but the cold weather in Ohio doesn't help. I got the one on the left from Walmart. Not the smallest mount but it works great for me. I just have it set to be snug and put the bottom of the phone in first and I can take it out without having to hit the release. Had it for a month and it stays in.

IMG_20130124_122912.jpg

Just turned is sideways so you can see it.

IMG_20130126_175047.jpg

I've got the one to the far right in my Element, the sticky stuff isn't real sticky below freezing, but gets tacky pretty quickly once the defroster gets warm. My work car has my otterbox defender holster modded to work with my ram mount. That works much better. :good: